Author Topic: Neil Shaw married Catherine Maclean  (Read 12607 times)

Offline Toot

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Neil Shaw married Catherine Maclean
« on: Wednesday 07 April 10 06:24 BST (UK) »
Hi,  is there anyone out there researching this Shaw family, Neil Shaw and Catherine Maclean.  Catherine was his 2nd wife and they married in Portree 1843. He died in 1880 at Sluggans. Catherine died 2 yrs before Neil. They had about 5 children.
Neil was living in Edinbain 1841 census but wife Mary absent. Her maiden name Shaw as well.
Presume she died after their son Norman was born about 1839-40.
Have come to a dead end on this family so would love to hear from somebody.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Neil Shaw married Catherine Maclean
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 April 10 15:20 BST (UK) »
MARION SHAW   Birth:  02 MAY 1855   Portree, Inverness   
Father:  NEIL SHAW    Mother  CATHERINE MAC LEAN

Also

MALCOLM SHAW    Father:  NEIL SHAW    Mother  CATHERINE MAC LEAN     

Spouse:  ANNE MAC LEOD Father:  DONALD MAC LEOD Mother:  CHRISTINA MORRISON 
Marriage:  23 JAN 1855   Harris, Inverness
Husband's Age at Marriage  40   Wife's Age at Marriage:  23

Both are submitted IGI entries so somebody else is researching the same family.  However - the marriage entry for Malcom has the wrong mother - presumably should be Neil's first wife
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 April 10 15:27 BST (UK) »
1861 shows Malcolm aged 40 and Anne 35 - both b Harris
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 April 10 02:13 BST (UK) »
There's a tree on Ancestry which states Neil Shaw was bc.1801 Duirnish, Invernesshire and this place agrees with the information on the 1851 and 1861 Census.   (1851, by the way is bizarre as it shows him to have 2 sons both named Alexander i.e. Alexander 18 (from 1st marriage) and Alexander 9 months from 2nd. marriage!!)  I note from the census that his age fluctuates between 1797 and 1801 and age at death 80 gives 1800.   This tree also states his parents names but no other details - I'm assuming they got this from his death certificate i.e. Donald Shaw and Ann MacCuish.   However, there's a marriage at Inverness 16/5/1796 (IGI) between a Donald Shaw and Anne McRichie and wonder if these could be his parents.   The ancestry tree shows 2 sons - Neil 1801 and a Norman 1806.

Neil appears to have 6 children from each of his marriages (2 with the same name??)

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline Fergie38

• RootsChat Veteran
  • There's only one eF in Ferguson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 April 10 18:54 BST (UK) »

Just incase it's of interest to anyone.
Ferguson (Stirling & Parish of Kincardine) Stevenson (Bannockburn) Cowan (Stirling) McLean (Glasgow,  Dundee & Skye)

Offline Toot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 May 10 05:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply Annette re Neil Shaw. Yes it does seem strange he had two sons named Alexander. I am presuming the Alex from the 1st marriage may have been a stepson. Roderick, his brother and  the eldest is my ancestor. I have still not been able to find out anything about his mother Mary. Her maiden name was Shaw as well according to Roderick's death cert.
I did'nt know about Neil having a brother Norman re the ancestry tree so that is interesting.
Thanks again
Toot

Offline chrissymac

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 29 March 11 06:29 BST (UK) »
It's not that unusual for two children to be named the same especially if the parents chose the traditional naming pattern for naming their children.  My husband's great great grandparents named two of their children Alexander.  There is seven years between the two births and on the census returns they are shown as 1st Alexander Mackenzie and 2nd Alexander Mackenzie.  I have also come across a similar situation elsewhere in my family tree but at the moment I can't remember where it is.   There are two Margarets in one family.  Both started out being called Margaret but the other ended up being referred to in the censuses as Maggie.

Offline alastair_banks

• RootsChat Extra
  • Australia Capital Territory, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 September 11 12:51 BST (UK) »
Hi,  is there anyone out there researching this Shaw family

Hi Toot

I'm interested in this family. Catherine MacLean is a third great grand aunt.

Cheers

Alastair
BANKS, DOULL, BAIN, MILLIE, MURRAY, JACKSON, MOCHRIE, FISHER, RIACH, ANDERSON, PATERSON, CATTANACH, BRODIE, HASTIE, MACLEAN, FINLAYSON

Offline AlmaL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 30 January 14 05:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi  :)
I wonder if this is the same Shaw family as my own?  I have Neil Shaw married Catherine MacLean.  Neil b 1777, Catherine b 1788 both lived Tarbert Harris.  Their son Donald Shaw b 1807 married Ann MacAulay of Urgha. Their daughter Kirsty b 1839 Urgha. Kirsty son Malcolm Shaw (McDonald) b 1865 Urgha. 

This Neil is my gggg father.  I'd love to know more as I have little information on other children of Neil and Catherine.  Thanks :D