Author Topic: Redford Green School Kirkhope  (Read 8729 times)

Offline Isobel

• I am sorry but my email is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Redford Green School Kirkhope
« on: Monday 26 June 06 21:57 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me when this school closed and how I can find out information of past School Masters.

I have a Richard Hogg as School Master for this school on the 1881 census.  I don't know where he went after that.  I was wondering if there maybe a school list of what years he was there.
Hogg, Fordyce, Rogers, Robinson, Crawford Bell ,Little

Offline paw42

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Redford Green School Kirkhope
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 September 06 20:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Isobel,

There is still a school in Scottish Borders called Kirkhope Primary School. It is in the village of Ettrick Bridge. I cannot be sure as it's a while since I passed that way and looking at an OS map Kirkhope seems to be a bit to the West of where I remember the school being. Perhaps it's the same school. Perhaps Kirkhope school closed and the new one retained the name. I cannot see where Redford Green might be.

There may be a board carved with the names of past heidies. Some local school have one. If not, your best bet for school records, if the school itself does not have them, would be Scottish Borders Council Archives - start looking here; http://www.scotborders.gov.uk/libraries/ . This service is moving from Selkirk to Hawick in the new year. So perhaps you should contact them quick.

I see that this has been posted in June, with no reply. Have you managed to get this information by some other route? If so, let us know as you've got me hooked now. If you still need this info and you do not get any satisfaction from the the archives in Selkirk, get back to me and I'll maybe take a trip along the Ettrick valley. It's lovely in the Autumn.

Bye,

paw42

Davenport - Bolton
Holgate - East Lancs/West Riding Yorkshire
Phair - Ireland, Glossop and Bolton
Norris- Bolton
Whittaker-Bolton and East Lancs

Offline Isobel

• I am sorry but my email is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 September 06 21:02 BST (UK) »
Hi

I contacted Kirkhope Primary who advised me to contact the Archive Library.  I did this, they have came and advised that the school was on the Buccleuch Estate and to contact Drumlanrig Castle as they have the private files.
 They phoned to say that papers are held in Langholm and they will be in contact with me, that was approx 5 weeks ago and I have not heard.

I will contact them again and let you know the outcome.

Isobel
Hogg, Fordyce, Rogers, Robinson, Crawford Bell ,Little

Offline paw42

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 September 06 21:50 BST (UK) »
Not a lot of use I know, but in 1866 Redford Green School, Kirkhope had Thomas Cowan as a teacher. The average role was 12 pupils. It was an endowed school.

This from Rutherford's Southern County and Directory 1866 - reprinted 1990

I wonder if there are similar directories for the years you are looking for.?
There was also a parochial school and another endowed school. I am not sure what endowed means here.

What else do you know about Richard Hogg?

If Buccleugh Estates do not help you, try getting back to the Archives in Selkirk, before they start packing! There may be a later directory that can help. Good Luck!

paw
Davenport - Bolton
Holgate - East Lancs/West Riding Yorkshire
Phair - Ireland, Glossop and Bolton
Norris- Bolton
Whittaker-Bolton and East Lancs

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 August 09 19:20 BST (UK) »
Isobel ,The Border Family History Society has a book in their library at old Gala House Galashiels called Redford Green School 1855-`1955 possibly when it closed. Its a large type A4 with loads of lists and pupils and I think teachers. It was compiled by a Kathleen N, Stewart  and produced I think in 1988. The copy was gifted by her. I would have thought that Kirkhope School, Ettrick School or even Yarrow school might have a copy and possibly the Heritage Hub also. Hope this helps
alan
turnbull- Scottish Borders ,Caithness and East Lothian
waddell-roxburghshire
foord/ford -perthshire and borders
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders

Offline HMFollmer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 March 12 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Would you happen to know when the School at Redfordgreen was opened?   Could it have been opened in the late 1700"s?

I am researching Laings, Griersons, Bells, Parkers, Taylors, Whytes, and Humes.

Thank you for any help you might have.

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 March 12 22:23 GMT (UK) »
I suggest you go to the borders family history society web site and ask them details from the book in their library to help your research..
turnbull- Scottish Borders ,Caithness and East Lothian
waddell-roxburghshire
foord/ford -perthshire and borders
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders

Offline HMFollmer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 17 March 12 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for your quick response and the suggestion.  I do appreciate you.    ;)