Author Topic: Boyles of Stranorlar  (Read 2691 times)

Offline Elenor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Boyles of Stranorlar
« on: Wednesday 30 July 14 23:01 BST (UK) »
I'm not certain when Owen Boyle, born abt 1835, came to America, but he was married in New York City by 1860. His children were Daniel (born 1860), William, Mary, John, Annie (Anna Louise) and Kate. His wife was Ann Donnelly, who'd arrived in the US during the 1840s.

Owen was a hackman, apparently comfortably enough well off though not wealthy. He and his family lived on Greenwich Street in lower Manhattan. He died in 1872 -- the story is that he jumped into the East River to rescue someone and then died of pneumonia, but that may be simply an embroidered legend. I do know that the Hackmen's Society posted a short memorial notice in the newspaper for him, which is how I learned that he had come to the US from Stranorlar. After his death, his wife and children moved to Brooklyn.

In 1870 he had living with his family in NYC a Patrick Boyle, born abt 1840 in Ireland, possibly a younger brother. Patrick was a policeman. I've found no further mention of him.

They were Catholic. And ... that's all I know about my Boyle ancestors from Stranorlar!
Liverpool: Mein
Alnwick: Bell, Forman/Foreman
Roxburghshire: Mein, Fairgrieve
Glasgow: Mein, Forman/Foreman, Gibson-Fleming
Ireland (Cork) & Singapore: Geary
Ireland/NY: Boyle, Donnelly, Suter

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Boyles of Stranorlar
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 August 14 07:09 BST (UK) »
Hi,

You don't seem to have a specific question here, I am assuming you are trying to find out additional information about Owen? Civil registration of births didn't begin in Ireland until 1864 and church records prior to 1850 are thin on the ground. There are some land records available but without a townland name it will be almost impossible to find out additional information, for instance for Stranorlar there are 14 Boyle tax payers recorded in 1830 tithe records, any or none is potentially your Owen's father.

Regards
McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline Elenor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 August 14 08:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Joe,

You're right ... I had no specific question; I was simply throwing out a net. Stranorlar is, or was, a small town, and I've never found any relatives connected with that Boyle family -- I know there were Boyles living in Stranorlar during that period, but I have inadequate data for distinguishing them. I figured it was reasonable simply to send out a call to possible fellow descendants, lest one have heard of Owen or of Patrick and have gone searching. For all I know, Owen may have had nearly a dozen siblings, many of whom might have emigrated to the US.

A call in the night.

That, I suppose, will have faded away by dawn.
Liverpool: Mein
Alnwick: Bell, Forman/Foreman
Roxburghshire: Mein, Fairgrieve
Glasgow: Mein, Forman/Foreman, Gibson-Fleming
Ireland (Cork) & Singapore: Geary
Ireland/NY: Boyle, Donnelly, Suter

Offline Carolinedonegal

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 August 22 20:08 BST (UK) »
Hi
My great great grandfather was Owen Boyle Meenbane Stranorlar born 1785 died 1884.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 August 22 09:24 BST (UK) »

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

So, to add to your statement above, are these some of your relatives?

1901 census
House 3 in Meenbane (Stranorlar, Donegal).
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Donegal/Stranorlar/Meenbane/1199635/

Appears so-
Here's the marriage of John Boyle and Margaret Houston - 1886. Owen Boyle, his father (not indicated as alive or dead).

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1886/10826/5948887.pdf

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo