Author Topic: Mitcham Redskin village/ Phipps Bridge  (Read 87306 times)

Offline Mark1973

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Mitcham Redskin village/ Phipps Bridge
« Reply #27 on: Friday 08 April 11 14:51 BST (UK) »
Excellent stuff, always interested in Mitcham's history, He did live in Queens Road in 1935 so must have moved there not long after.
Lavender - Ruislip Middlesex / Mitcham Surrey
Ad(d)away - Burnham Buckinghamshire / Mitcham Surrey
Abrehart/Abrahart - Edmonton Middlesex / Mitcham Surrey / Victoria Australia
Lindsell - Braintree Essex / Morpeth Durham / Islington london
Donohoe/Donohue & Roche - Graiguecullen, Queens/Carlow Ireland

Offline loggie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 15 April 11 19:57 BST (UK) »
 :D

Offline dimlow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 15 May 11 20:07 BST (UK) »
I was bought up number 15 new close with my grandparents (jame"s) i was always told when i asked why was it called red skin village,i was told it was because my grandparents were travellers or from travelling families and there skin was as dark as an Indians i was also shown photos of my great grandparents and the type of clothes they wore looked a lot like the clothes you would expect to see Noth American Indians wearing,every one was related i would refer to all the grown ups as Aunt or Uncle it was good growing up round there it was true the old bill would not go in there unless they had serious back up,i remember one copper called scar faced Jim what a batsard he was,the council bought it to a slow death as people died the council would bring in outsiders and the place went to pot i also remember when Calor gas went up watching the gas canisters flying through the air and my grand father worked at stophers the butchers slaughter house where i think its called Homefield primary school now stands.

Offline Debbie Marney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 28 May 11 18:23 BST (UK) »
Hi my Granny and Grandfather lived at number 1 New Close. Neddy and Violet Marney. My Grannys' father was Joe Ayres and the other side of my family were the Dightons, some of them are still there. I ca think of a place where I felt safer but I know a lot of outsiders were warned not to go there and a lot of people were scared of going there. Amazing people, amazing times there when I was younger. can remember a portacabin which was a sweetshop, run by two old ladies (I think one was called Dolly) I remember everyone there so fondly and although I live in Devon now whenever I go up to London I try to go to New Close. When I was younger it seemed as though I was related to almost everyone in New Close, one way or another! (Perhaps I was!) Would love to hear from anyone who remembers my grandparents. Take care everyone, Debs xxx. 

Offline dimlow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 28 May 11 21:43 BST (UK) »
Hello Deb,
I used to live at 15 new close with me grandparents,the shop across the road was a converted shed and was run by Violet Osbourne and Dolly Stopher (i think) my lot still live there but its changed round there now and not for the better,we are related i have Ayres on my side Uncle Nation Ayres, Harom,Percy Ayres who ran the grocer shop and log yard at the end of New close under neath the pilon dont go there much its heartbreaking to see all the changes and the outsiders,but thats called progress.

Offline Debbie Marney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 28 May 11 22:44 BST (UK) »
Oh how fantastic, so great to hear from you. Nice to meet you! I remember Nation and Harem, and Percy. They were all on my Grannys side. I know Percy ended up living on a fantastic houseboat near Hampton Court. They were all on my Grannys side. I can also remember a man called Nelson who lived opposite me Granny and he always sat on a chair outside his house.  I used to stay at my Grannies sometimes and it was such a magical place and time and I felt so safe. I can also remember Ben and Liz Mara who lived in the little lane that runs parallel with New Close.  And I still cook a dish called Joe Grey every week that was traditional romany meal! I loved my times there and I have so many happy memories. I can also remember my Granny showing me how to make beautiful paper flowers. Thanks for reminding me of the ladies names in the shop. And yes I agree it has changed and not for the better. My Dad tells me stories of men playing cards underneath the streetlights at night when he was a young boy. I know that originally they were in wagons in Stophers yard and it got bombed during the war and that was how they all got houses.I can talk about it all night( as you have probably noticed!). So lovely to hear from you, what is your name? Thank you for your message, speak soon, Debs xxx. 

Offline dimlow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 29 May 11 09:16 BST (UK) »
Calm down girl(cacker)
Frank James,Nelson was related to my Aunt Magenta my cousin susan lived with them,my Uncle percy died at home
his wife was rose and the kids names were Keith,Barry and Henry i think the eldest was Sandra,one of the best meals i cook for the kids and now grand kids is Joey gray or a bacon pudding ( i still use me nans musslin cloth it must be at least 20+years old)
do you remeber the Herringtons?? Jackie and Susan i see them sometimes as they live quite close to me and we talk about knock down ginger and the old bath tavern,and the day my uncle Leonard brought the goat home form the market and the bastard thing ate all the washing on my grans washing line all a life time away now, hows Devon.any dinlows down there.

Offline Debbie Marney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 29 May 11 11:18 BST (UK) »
Ha good to talk to you Frank.  You cook Joe Grey too? Brilliant. I do that bacon pudding now and then too. I know the surname Herrington but can't place who they are. I will ask me Dad. My Uncle Wally Dighton my Aunty Kathy are still in New Close at number 106. My Uncle Neddy Marney and Aunty Betty lived more or less opposite. My Granny Violet was my hero. My Dad Jimmy Marney lives in Norfolk now. Was your Uncle Percy known for his tall tales? So lovely to talk to someone about all this. Well I have been in Devon for 6 years now and it is lovely but I can feel me feet itching again so might think about moving to along the Sussex coastline somewhere as I have some friends and family there too. Haven't met any dinlows here but I know a few who think they are but they ain't what I call proper. Speak soon, Debs xxx. 

Offline loggie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 29 May 11 14:23 BST (UK) »
percy is my grandfather he always lived at number 58 new close and my nan rose still lives there now the houseboat at hampton court was a ladys who used to work for him. my nan and grandads kids are in order keith,peter,sandra,barry(my father) and henry. keith still runs the log yard at the back of new close.