Author Topic: Can you look up Fowlis Wester MIs?  (Read 16393 times)

Offline Searching4

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Can you look up Fowlis Wester MIs?
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 17:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Dorothy

Carrier was his occupation (modern version Lorry Driver) moving goods by horse and cart or wagon.

It could be that he had a carriers business.

The book I have is southern Perthshire published by the Scottish genealogical society in Edinburgh

http://www.scotsgenealogy.com/Downloads.aspx

As for getting a headstone restored and put back into position I think you would need to speak to a
local stone mason perhaps someone who knows will come along and answer your question.

I would also look at the free search on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk  for any wills that may have been made.

Yours Aye
BruceL

Hello Bruce

I'm back on the topic of James Young.  You mentioned that the MI book you have shows the grave of James close to that of his son's wife:  Eliz Miller (Stone 27).

Is there a map of the cemetery in the MI book?  If so, would it be possible for you to scan that page and send it to me?  I downloaded the 'Black Book', but am having difficulty understanding how it works and didn't see any maps.

I'm investigating the feasibility of having a monumental mason raise the fallen stone and re-fix it to its base, but I want to be sure that I have the correct headstone before I set things in motion.

I have been reading your posts, and am very impressed by the breadth of your genealogical knowledge.  You come up with such interesting websites to check out!

Thank you for all your help.

Dorothy

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 03 April 14 07:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Dorothy

Perth Council will have a map of the cemetery.
CommunityGreenspace@pkc.gov.uk

I will check book when I get home tonight

Yours Aye
BruceL

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 06 April 14 17:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Dorothy

I have sent you an email

Yours Aye
BruceL

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 06 April 14 17:26 BST (UK) »
THE LATE DOCTOR WILLIAM MARSHALL - The body of Dr William Marshall, formerly physician to the Queen, was buried yesterday in the churchyard of Fowlis, a few miles from Crieff. Only the relatives and intimate friends of the deceased were invited to be present. Dr Profeit, the Queen's Commissioner at Balmoral, attended by command of the Queen on behalf of Her Majesty. Wreaths of immortelles sent by the Queen and the Princess Beatrice were laid on the coffin and in the grave.
(Evening Telegraph, 27 Dec 1884)

Offline Searching4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 06 April 14 17:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Dorothy

I have sent you an email

Yours Aye
BruceL

Received, and your help is very much appreciated!

Dorothy

Offline Eleesavet

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 07 April 14 16:12 BST (UK) »
THE LATE DOCTOR WILLIAM MARSHALL - The body of Dr William Marshall, formerly physician to the Queen, was buried yesterday in the churchyard of Fowlis, a few miles from Crieff. Only the relatives and intimate friends of the deceased were invited to be present. Dr Profeit, the Queen's Commissioner at Balmoral, attended by command of the Queen on behalf of Her Majesty. Wreaths of immortelles sent by the Queen and the Princess Beatrice were laid on the coffin and in the grave.
(Evening Telegraph, 27 Dec 1884)

Thank you for posting this information.  I have found a few newspaper articles/notices re Dr Marshall but never this one. 

Much appreciated.

Liz

Perthshire: MacArthur, Whittet, Mill (Milne), Alexander, Shaw, Pearson, Henderson, Rennie, Comrie, Braid, Ritchie, Roy, MacKillop, Keill, Cumming, Taylor, Marshall, Young, Miller, MacVicar, Murray, Cameron, Croll, Christie, Gloag, Gorrie, Stobbie, Lunnan, Thomson, Crerar, Hepburn.
Dundee: Mill (Milne).
Aberdeen: Mill (Milne).
Skye: MacIntosh, Stewart, MacQueen, Matheson, Morrison, Nicholson, MacLeod, Finlayson.
Peebles: Dickson, Sandilands, Rule, Johnstone.
Edinburgh: Thomson, Sandilands.

Offline SurfinNan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 28 December 15 12:27 GMT (UK) »
I came across these posts when I was idly searching for what ever came to mind.

William Marshall (1775-1857) married Emelia Murray (1779-1856) were the parents of
John Marshall (1806-1894) married Nicholas Young (1808-1892) who were the parents of
Dr William Marshall (1834-1884) who was a brother of
Betsy Marshall (1841--1923) married William Rose (1838-1890) they immigrated to Australia in 1854. They are the parents of
Euphemia Rosewho married John Young in Perth WAust in 1896. They were my father's maternal grandparents. These two had a common ancestor of James Young (b 1775) who had two wives Elizabeth Miller (m 1799) of whom Nicholas Young is descendant from and Mary McVicar (m 1817).

I would be interested in getting in contact with any persons also researching these families. As I would like to compile something before my father's generation has all passed on.

Offline CaileanMac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 31 August 17 16:17 BST (UK) »
Resurrecting this old thread as I believe I am related through the Marshall family.

I am a descendent of John Marshall and Jannet Gorrie (b. 1748 d. Between 1841-1851) who were married at Perth in 1777. My understanding is that they had the following children:

John Marshall
b. 1778 Perth

William Marshall
b. 1781 Perth.
m. Amelia Murray.
d. 1857 Methven.

James Marshall
b. Abt 1787 Methven.
m. Mary Melville.
d. 1869 New Scone.

James Marshall and Mary Melville were my 5x Great Grandparents.

Jannet Gorrie lived to a very old age as she was listed on the 1841 census living alongside her son William and his wife Amelia at Methven in Perthshire. She was over 90 years old at the time.

I'd be keen to get in touch with anyone related to these families.
Gr-Gr-Gr Grandparents and relevant areas: MacDonald (Skye/Renfrewshire/Glasgow), Johnstone (Inverness/Ayr/Glasgow), MacPherson (Ross/Glasgow), Irvine (Ireland/Glasgow), Berrie (Dunkeld/Glasgow), Biggar (Paisley/Glasgow), Bradley (Ireland/Glasgow), McCorkindale (Argyll/Glasgow), Hardie (Ireland/Greenock), Scott (Greenock) , Kane (Ireland), Maguire (Ireland), McLarty (Argyll/Greenock), McLean (Argyll/Greenock), Petrie (Fife/Dundee/Greenock), Graham (Argyll/Greenock).

Offline Perthshireman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 18 January 18 17:22 GMT (UK) »
In the last couple of days, I came across a reference online to Dr William Marshall, doctor to Queen Victoria who was born in Methven. Years ago my father told me a family story that involved my g-grandfather claiming to have met Queen Victoria as a child on a number of occasions whilst visiting Balmoral with a relative who was her medical advisor. This was dismissed as fanciful as we come from modest stock (Ag labourers and Domestic servants) and never verified until now.

I scuttled to my family tree as a William Marshall born in Methven about 1835 was there. Although there appeared a link, I researched Dr William to try to find his parentage. I came across this forum whilst doing this and, having read the posts so far, the parents of Dr William are those of the parents I have on my tree. Thus there is a strong implication that they are both the same person.

Like you I am a descendant of John Marshall and Janet Gorrie. I did not have any details of John and Janet but did believe they had 2 sons William and John. I was not aware of James.

My connection back to the Marshalls, Gorries, Youngs, Stobies, Miller and Murrays resulted from my g-g-grandfather marrying William Marshall's sister Ann in 1862. If my calculations are correct John Marshall and Janet Gorrie are my 5 x great grandparents. I haven't been able to progress further back on that line.

In reference to other posters on this thread, I haven't been able to progress further back than James Young and wife Elizabeth Miller in that line. However in the line featuring William Marshall and Amelia (Emily) Murray, I believe Amelia's parents were Mungo Murray and Margaret Stobie who married c. 1764 and whose banns were read in Madderty on the 12 Aug 1764 and at Fowlis Wester on the 30 August 1764.

I am very interested in progressing any of these lines or, indeed any descendent information from any of these lines.

Peter