Author Topic: Hartland registers 1558-1837 - book online anywhere or ebook ?  (Read 2522 times)

Offline hatofthecat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Hartland registers 1558-1837 - book online anywhere or ebook ?
« on: Wednesday 03 September 14 11:24 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know where I can access a copy of "The Register of Baptisms, Marriages and Burials of the Parish of Hartland, Devon, 1558-1837" either online or buy as an ebook ?  There are a couple of dead end hosting (i.e. phishing sites) that claim to have a pdf but I've not found elsewhere.

Looking to verify baptisms etc. in 1600s for Docton family that appear in the "Visitations of the County of Devon" but somehow I cannot find in Familysearch or Freereg  :-\ despite their covering the appropriate years.  The "visitations" explicitly references the Hartland parish register as the source.

thanks
Norris / Andover, Poplar, Canning Town, Stratford
Hughes, Cooper, New  / Berkshire
Waugh, Lisle, Davison, Mole, Luke, Dodd / Northumberland
Walton / Cumberland, County Durham, Northumberland
Littlefair / County Durham, Northumberland
Morcumb, Pedler, Warne, Whitford, Arthur, Warmington, Sleap, Docton,Couche / Cornwall
Ross / Middlesex, Hertfordshire
Southgate / Essex
Tarrant/Hampshire

Offline terryleaman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Hartland registers 1558-1837 - book online anywhere or ebook ?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 14:24 BST (UK) »
The reason you cannot find a version online is because it is still in copyright. ONLY books out of copyright can be put online,

Saying this, you do realise that this book is a transcription of the registers and not a facsimile of the original register.
The original records are in the North Devon Record Office.
They will eventually be online with Find May Past, as that is the Devon Heritage Centre's agreement.
Hooper- Torquay & Exbourne
Stevenson- Plymouth & Lincolnshire
Vivian- Cornwood & London

General Torquay local history- OPC for Torquay

Offline hatofthecat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 16:54 BST (UK) »
"still in copyright. ONLY books out of copyright can be put online"

Given 1934 publication date and that the authors likely not in their first flush of youth I was hopeful that the 70 years after death author copyright would have expired by now   :-[

I know its a just transcription (and error prone like any other) but it is certainly easier to search for names that may be wildly erratically spelt on a full page rather than having to be within the soundex rules of familysearch/freereg.  Unfortunately the Devon record office is not too handy for me so this is next best before making the journey or ordering copies of originals.

However, going the long way round in Familysearch (i.e. select batch for Hartland and just a three year period for baptism without specifying any name) I've just in last few minutes managed to find the baptisms I was looking for under name Doctonne and Doctone...  8)   ...somehow the extra "ne" and even just "e" defeated the default soundex in Familysearch  ::)

Thanks for the heads up re. FindMyPast to hold the Devon records in future, I hope they are done as well as Hertfordshire ones which I found were accompanied by the images of originals.
Morcumb, Pedler, Warne, Whitford, Arthur, Warmington, Sleap, Docton,Couche / Cornwall
Southgate / Essex
Tarrant/Hampshire

Offline terryleaman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 16:56 BST (UK) »
The original images for Devon will be there as well, only two parishes will not be (permission refused to digitise)
Some are still being filmed.
Hooper- Torquay & Exbourne
Stevenson- Plymouth & Lincolnshire
Vivian- Cornwood & London

General Torquay local history- OPC for Torquay

Offline scuda-j

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 September 14 09:30 BST (UK) »
There are transcriptions of Hartland registers on GenoGold: http://www.genogold.co.uk/html/devon.html

Jane
PITMAN (Glos - Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Stow, Tewkesbury, Cirencester, etc)

Offline hatofthecat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 September 14 11:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks scuda-j, I stumbled across (its a favoured research method) a link to the GenoGold transcriptions yesterday.  Interestingly they have the John Docton 1636 baptism I was looking for as a "John Dorsonne (sic)"  ??? ... if I hadn't seen the Familysearch transcription with the "nne" ending I probably wouldn't have realised this was the one   :-[  ...they reeeaaaaalllllllyyyyy make it extra hard sometimes  ::)  Still useful extra source and does prove they are their own original transcriptions.

I've had a look on FindMyPast for the images of the originals terryleaman.  The records are there but it wasn't showing any images as available  ??? I don't have a FindMyPast sub at the moment but it should show what available anyway  :-\  ...maybe they are still loading them up.
Southgate / Essex
Tarrant/Hampshire