Author Topic: Haisborough Sands  (Read 2956 times)

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Haisborough Sands
« on: Wednesday 27 August 14 18:33 BST (UK) »
On the 24th December 1867, and on her maiden voyage, the Iron Barque ' Invicta' was lost, with all hands on Haisborough Sands. Peter Tillman Ellington, was serving aboard as Carpenter.

I have been informed that there are ongoing projects by certain churches on your Norfolk Coastal areas, to collate the names of Seamen that died in various ships, and whose bodies were washed ashore and buried in their Churchyards.

I am searching for any further information on this subject please, and of course in particular our Peter.

Best

John 1935
Goodsir.  Ellington. Tillman.  Wilson. AngAs. Capstaff (Northumberland & Durham)
Macaire. Eusebe. Boitel. Beaulieu. Gordon. Tillman. Fear. Wood.
 ( London/ Middlesex & Devon )

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Haisborough Sands
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 September 14 08:49 BST (UK) »
OR

Can anybody give me the name and address of a friendly Vicar in the Area, who might help please.

Best

John
Goodsir.  Ellington. Tillman.  Wilson. AngAs. Capstaff (Northumberland & Durham)

Offline kaysii

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 September 14 08:14 BST (UK) »
Hello John,

You can find parish records online at familysearch. I've not found any transcribed records online. You will need to look under Happisburgh which is how you spell "Haisborough". If you want to find neighbouring parishes look at the parish maps at familysearch http://maps.familysearch.org/.
Best wishes kaysii

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 September 14 17:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you Kaysii

That is a very useful site, which I had not come across before, and have been able to pinpoint the area much more efficiently.

Have contacted ( by  e-mail ) Happisburg, Cromer and the East coast Marine Heritage site, and will fill in info on here, when I hopefully get it.

This is the second ancestral wreck I have chased on this coast, other was the  Brig 'Transfer' on the Scroby Sands, but after several negative reports,- found that all crew - after five hours in an open long boat (and gale conditions) had been picked up by the 'Beamont' and landed safely ( at the time after taking the crew aboard the 'Beamont' had to cut the long boat free, due to heavy weather.

Best

John