Author Topic: Marriage of Thomas HUTCHISON and Isabella BURNS 1870  (Read 2307 times)

Offline ctrunfree

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage of Thomas HUTCHISON and Isabella BURNS 1870
« on: Monday 13 October 14 06:17 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone

I have from Familysearch a marriage for Thomas HUTCHISON and Isabella BURNS on 28 December 1870 at Calton, Glasgow.  They later migrated to Australia.

Would anyone have access to a record in relation to this marriage that might indicate the parents of either the bride or groom?
NEAL, TAYLOR, WRIGHT, BIDWELL, PRICE, YEARDLEY, RODGERS, HANDLEY, ELLIS, LOWE, HOUGH, ANNABLE, DAWSON, SANDERSON, PARKIN

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of Thomas HUTCHISON and Isabella BURNS 1870
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 October 14 06:46 BST (UK) »
Hi ,

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ is the only resource for this information.

Costs are reasonable , £7 for 30 credits , 6 credits per certificate.

The certificate should give you both sets of parents.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline ctrunfree

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 October 14 07:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ev.  I haven't tried getting a Certif from Scotland before, but presume its the same sort of arrangement as the GRO in England.  Should I try and get a Parish record, or the Statutory Register?
NEAL, TAYLOR, WRIGHT, BIDWELL, PRICE, YEARDLEY, RODGERS, HANDLEY, ELLIS, LOWE, HOUGH, ANNABLE, DAWSON, SANDERSON, PARKIN

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 October 14 10:36 BST (UK) »
If you register with SP and buy credits you will be able to view the marriage certificate online.
Statutory records for Scotland began in 1855 , before that there was the Old Parish Records.

Have a read through this about the records -
http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/content/help/index.aspx?r=554

Be aware , the ability to view certificates online is very addictive  ;)

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline ctrunfree

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 October 14 11:01 BST (UK) »

Be aware , the ability to view certificates online is very addictive  ;)

ev
Yes I know!  ;D
But being able to get the record online is a big step forward over the hard copy system in England.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 October 14 22:06 BST (UK) »
If you are just starting out on this line, you are likely to make good use of your £7GB  :) This gets you 30 units. Every cert you view costs 5 units, which you can then download to your computer. Each search result page 1 unit (see here for now a long post trying to help... www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=562668.0) You have a year to use these units...take your time!

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ctrunfree

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 October 14 22:40 BST (UK) »
Well I found them, and have the certificate.  They were married 28 Dec 1870 at 23 Monteith Row Glasgow.  Maybe this was a Registry Office? A Minister from Greenhead Church (which I gather has since been demolished) officiated. Thomas was 20, and a shoemaker, Isabella 18 and what looks like a Pipe Finisher (?).

Thomas' parents were Thomas (a journeyman shoemaker) and Sarah BROWN (I was hoping for an exotic maiden name!).  Isabella's parents were both deceased-her father was William (a Nailmaker/Sailmaker, more likely the former I expect), her mother Joan SMITH (Nooo!).

I can't find either family in the 1861 Census, which supports the theory that they might both be originally Irish.  Where would be the best place to search for Irish immigrants to Scotland around this time?

Monical-very handy link thank you!

EDIT: Must be going blind-have just found the BURNS/SMITH marriage 9 Feb 1849 in Glasgow, so Isabella's not Irish at least.

Offline ctrunfree

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 October 14 23:06 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately as the BURNS/SMITH marriage was pre-1855 it was only on the parish registers, which having bought the record I can now see doesn't have much info on it.  Oh well, that's a good lesson learnt!

Offline ctrunfree

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 October 14 02:32 BST (UK) »
Me again!

I now have a death certificate for Joanna BURNS.  She died of TB on 19 Aug 1862.  Her husband William, a Nailmaker, seems to be still living, as would her daughter Isabella (aged around 10).

However, I can't find either William or Isabella on the 1861 Census.  There is an Isabella BURNS aged 10 living in that area with another Isabella BURNS aged 50-too young to be William's mother (he was 40) but maybe another sister?  But relationship on the Census says daughter.  ???

William and Joanna are in the 1851 Census at 36 Bell St Glasgow. Any ideas as to where the family has gone in 1861?