Author Topic: Help required with location of places in Parish of East Kilbride late 18th C  (Read 6436 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Help required with location of places in Parish of East Kilbride late 18th C
« Reply #27 on: Friday 24 October 14 14:27 BST (UK) »
Could the place in EK have been named after the Startup Hill near Roberton?
It's possible, but the EK place seems to have been Startuphall not -hill.

I wonder whether a visit to The Mitchell to look for sasines might shed any light. 
It might.

I have the surname indexes to the Lanarkshire sasines to 1870. There are plenty of sasines listed for Roberton as a surname, but none of the index entries mentions anything resembling Startuphall.

Might be worth finding out which estate owned Startuphall and seeing if there are any extant estate records.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help required with location of places in Parish of East Kilbride late 18th C
« Reply #28 on: Friday 24 October 14 15:04 BST (UK) »
Forfarian,
Based on the info that you provided at 10.29 which listed all the place names on ED7 and your further post at 14.27, it's more than likely that this area (ED7) was owned by The Torrance Estate and I think the time period would fall into the Stuart family as owners?

Offline Baird

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Private 10576 Thomas Baird 1890 - 1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 24 October 14 17:09 BST (UK) »
Forfarian,
                Ranger House was in what is now the Whitehills area of EK. It lay between what is now High Whitehills Road and Greenhills Road . Closest farm to it was Whitehills farm which still exists as a bar restaurant. Ranger Farm is 'immortalised' by naming a street Ranger Road approximately where it was situated.

regards,
Baird
Rutherglen;Baird/Adair/Ferguson/Reid
Strathaven;Shearer , Orr
Beith;Steel 
Glasgow;Donnelly,McSorley,Burns
County Tyrone;McSorley
Eaglesham;Paton
 All;McAlonan and variants 
Sligo;Burns 
2nd. bat Seaforth Highlanders 1914-16.
2nd. bat. KOSB 1914-18.
1/8th. Bat. Cameronians 1914-15
5th. Bat. Cameronians 1914-17
1st. Bat. Scots Guards 1914-15
HMS Biarritz 1915-16
K Class Submarines  K10 and K11

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 24 October 14 17:29 BST (UK) »
Ranger House was in what is now the Whitehills area of EK. It lay between what is now High Whitehills Road and Greenhills Road . Closest farm to it was Whitehills farm which still exists as a bar restaurant. Ranger Farm is 'immortalised' by naming a street Ranger Road approximately where it was situated.

Thanks, Baird. I have found High Whitehills Road and Rangerhouse Road on the map.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 24 October 14 18:28 BST (UK) »
The opening post  from Daval57 shows Startuphall on a baptism from 1784.

I then found an 1804 baptism for a child named James Semple at this place 20 yrs later, dated 1804.

Forfarian also found the property on the 1841 census and as the head of household was a farmer I remembered the 1797 Farm Horse Tax Rolls.

In 1797 James Semple was paying horse tax for 1 working horse at this property.

As the tax roll was 13 years after the original baptism record , it means either the Robertons? had already moved out or there was a connection to these Semples

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 26 October 14 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Startuphall http://maps.nls.uk/view/74400273

North of Torrance below Mt. Cameron and west of Newhousemill which stood along the Rotten Calder.  In the Directory of Land ownership circa 1770 published by the Scottish Record Society it was part of Calderwood.

Cafold nothing, the closest is Calfauld part of John Reid's (junior) assets which included (parts of), Wester Kittochside and Philipsmill.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 26 October 14 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Good find, Don. Exactly where the census implied.

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Christmas 2011. My daughter Clare with me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 26 October 14 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Apologies for my lack of contact.  My computer is down a d I'm not very adept at using my phone as an alternative.  Please don't take my lack of response as a la k of interest or appreciation.   Calfauld sounds great as a likely place.
-------------------
FORREST (Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire and Dunbartonshire)
ROONEY (Co Down, Co Antrim) 
BORTHWICK, FORTUNE, BARKER, SIVES (Lothians)
ANDERSON (Moray, Caithness)