Author Topic: Flats at 80 Clyde Street Glasgow  (Read 3562 times)

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: Flats at 80 Clyde Street Glasgow
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 23 October 14 19:51 BST (UK) »
I don't know of any dwellings on the River side of Great Clyde Street although there were various Goods Sheds dotted along the riverside (in the 1892 map anyway)

The problem may be that at one time there were several Clyde Streets in Glasgow and given the Anderston connection I think we may be talking about ClydeFerry Street

East Clyde Street now part of Clyde Street
Great Clyde Street now part of Clyde Street
Clyde Street Anderston renamed Clydeferry Street
Clyde Street Calton renamed Abercromby Street
Clyde Street Tradeston renamed Pelham Street then Clyde Place
Clyde Street Partick renamed Sandy Road
Clyde Street Port Dundas renamed Tayport Street

This older thread here on Rootschat also discusses the street ( I should have cottoned on as soon as Anderston was mentioned   :-[ )
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=490541.0

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 23 October 14 20:07 BST (UK) »
The Virtual Mitchell Library has a photograph of Clydeferry Street in Anderston from 1960 before it was demolished for the Kingston Bridge

http://www.mitchelllibrary.org/virtualmitchell/index.php?a=street&s=item&key=rYToxOntpOjA7czoxMzoiQ2x5ZGVmZXJyeSBTdCI7fQ==&pg=1

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 23 October 14 20:54 BST (UK) »
I think I get what you mean Falkryn.

At some point after 1913, the Anderston end of Clyde Street was renamed Clydeferry St which was subsequently demolished in the 1960's.

I know my great uncle lived 69 Clyde St  from just before 1890 until  at least 1913, probably for a few years after this
It's the address on all births 1890 -1904, census returns from 1890-1911 and also on a daughter's 1913 marriage.
The next dated document was 1928 with a new address.

My own grandfather had a younger half brother born in 1903.
It was detailed information passed from him to his daughter that lead me to this family.
He had described this family and exactly where they had lived when he was a child, and he was certain that it was his father's brother.

Unconvinced, I found the probable family, followed them through the census returns until I located a 1948 death and, he was indeed the brother of my great grandfather.

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 23 October 14 21:59 BST (UK) »

At some point after 1913, the Anderston end of Clyde Street was renamed Clydeferry St which was subsequently demolished in the 1960's.

Sorry if I confused you. Clyde Street, Anderston did not connect to what we now call Clyde Street it was further west and ran northwards from Anderston Quay near the Broomielaw. It retained the name Clyde Street until  some time in the 1920's/30's when Glasgow renamed many streets it had acquired during a period of expansion - Around that time the street was simply renamed Clydeferry Street.

Clydeferry Street existed until the M8 and the Kingston Bridge was driven through the heart of Glasgow and many streets in Anderston were demolished.

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 23 October 14 22:17 BST (UK) »
can anyone tell me where I can see a photograph of the tenement building that used to be at 80 Clyde Street in Glasgow. Probably immediately above the Clutha Bar.

Many thanks,

Baird

http://maps.nls.uk/print/74416956#zoom=5&lat=9484&lon=8673&layers=BT

West is Great Clyde Street. East is East Clyde Street. "Clutha" building would be either Stockwell St or Bridgegate
This post is a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws. Unfortunately my preferred method of writing (Parker Quink on Basildon Bond) cannot be used.

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 23 October 14 23:56 BST (UK) »

West is Great Clyde Street. East is East Clyde Street. "Clutha" building would be either Stockwell St or Bridgegate

With the information provided by Baird I believe we are talking about a different street ie Clyde Street in Anderston which later became Clydeferry Street.

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 24 October 14 00:07 BST (UK) »

With the information provided by Baird I believe we are talking about a different street ie Clyde Street in Anderston which later became Clydeferry Street.

Fair enough..just to mention that if you go back to the early Glasgow Town Plans late 18th century  on the NLS maps then it does show the street between Jamaica St and Bridgegate St as Clyde Street
This post is a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws. Unfortunately my preferred method of writing (Parker Quink on Basildon Bond) cannot be used.

Offline Baird

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Private 10576 Thomas Baird 1890 - 1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 24 October 14 08:15 BST (UK) »
Appreciate all the information which has come in.
For Anniep; the family I am interested in who resided at 80 Clyde Street in the 1891 census were listed under the enumeration district
644/10.006/10.015

If your family are similar at least we know that we are looking for the same street.

Regards,
Baird
Rutherglen;Baird/Adair/Ferguson/Reid
Strathaven;Shearer , Orr
Beith;Steel 
Glasgow;Donnelly,McSorley,Burns
County Tyrone;McSorley
Eaglesham;Paton
 All;McAlonan and variants 
Sligo;Burns 
2nd. bat Seaforth Highlanders 1914-16.
2nd. bat. KOSB 1914-18.
1/8th. Bat. Cameronians 1914-15
5th. Bat. Cameronians 1914-17
1st. Bat. Scots Guards 1914-15
HMS Biarritz 1915-16
K Class Submarines  K10 and K11

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 24 October 14 10:18 BST (UK) »
Appreciate all the information which has come in.
For Anniep; the family I am interested in who resided at 80 Clyde Street in the 1891 census were listed under the enumeration district
644/10.006/10.015

If your family are similar at least we know that we are looking for the same street.

Regards,
Baird

644/10 was the Registration District for Anderston from 1875 to 1906 which I think points your enquiry to Clyde Street/Clydeferry Street. Great Clyde Street and East Clyde Street were different  Registration districts.

If you go to the National Library of Scotland maps section (follow Deebels link) the 1893 and 1912 maps both show Clyde Street running from Anderston Quay at the Broomielaw to Stobcross Street near Anderston Cross. (The 1912 map is easier to manipulate)
If you look at a modern map it runs approximately where the southbound carriageway of the M8 motorway runs towards the Kingston Bridge.