Author Topic: On This Day in May........Tell us about your ancestors' anniversaries  (Read 37223 times)

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: On This Day in May........Tell us about your ancestors' anniversaries
« Reply #9 on: Friday 03 May 13 07:15 BST (UK) »
On this day in 1801 Isaac Booth was born to John Booth and Ann at Beacom Houses between Marple and Gee Cross, Cheshire (he always put Marple as birthplace on the censuses). He was baptised at Hatherlow Congregational Church Stockport.

Donn't know anything about his parents
In 1828 he Married Mary Washington at St Mary's Stockport.

They had 13 children including two sets of twins. The earlier children were baptised at the non conformist chapel  over the bridge in Marple Bridge, Derbyshire

They lived in the Hawk Green area
Isaac was a labourer
Mary died in 1863

He died in 1878 - having moved to Hazel Grove and was buried at All Saints Marple
He was my three greats grandfather

Also on this day in 1779 Sarah Fisher married Joseph Bull at Godmanchester, Huntingdonshire.
I know of only one daughter
I know little else about them
Joseph died in Godmanchester in 1813 and Sarah in 1824
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline quest40

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 03 May 13 11:49 BST (UK) »
On 3 May 1789 my husband's 3 x gt grandmother, Esther Macer, was baptised at Comberton, Cambridgeshire.  She was the daughter of Joseph Macer and Elizabeth Wooton, and married David Patman in 1810.
Conquest, Crowsley, Giovannelli, Kingham, Marshall, Sewell, Wilson, Ashwell

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 03 May 13 11:53 BST (UK) »
On 3rd May
Agnes Ann Benson my g.aunt married John Henry Barnett at St Thomas Parish Church, Hull, Yorkshire in 1903.  Agnes Ann was one of my grandfather’s 5 siblings that no-one knew anything about, as he led the family to believe he was an orphan without siblings or any other family.  He probably did this so that there would be no-one to tell that he had been discharged from the army and sent to an asylum.  Although my gran came from Hull too, they married in Newport, Monmouthshire then went to Glasgow before settling in Manchester.  Interestingly, they kept in touch with my gran's parents, aunts and uncles etc.

Sidney Henry Barnett, my 1st cousin once removed, and son of the above couple was born in Canterbury, Kent.

Millicent Stanton my 9 x g.g.aunt was born in Morton by Bourne, Lincolnshire in 1618

Jane Martindale (nee Goad), my 2nd cousin 5 times removed (a very distant ancestor) was born in Gleaston, Lancashire in 1792.  Gleaston only has a population of 400 nowadays, although when Jane was born, there was a working mill (it’s still in working order) and at least 5 farms which probably employed many of the local men and women, so it’s possible it was a larger community in the late 1700s/1800s.

Arabella Charlotte Salter my 1st cousin 3 times removed was born in Falmouth, Tasmania in 1858.  Both her parents had been transported to Van Diemen’s Land.  Her mother Elizabeth Eliza Mumby in 1848 for theft of rather a large amount of goods and produce from her employer, which was her 2nd offence.  She probably already had 2 children before she was deported at least one of whom she left behind with her parents.  Her father was transported in 1836 for desertion from Wellington Barracks.  Arabella Charlotte was named after her mother’s youngest sister who had died, aged 2 in 1827.

Jane Benson (nee Martindale) my 3rd cousin 4 times removed and daughter of Jane Goad above was baptised in Ulverston, Dalton in Furness, Lancashire in 1824.  She married my 2 x g.g.uncle Thomas Benson in 1845, so I’m related to her on 2 different trees.

Lucy Collett my 3 x g.g.aunt was baptised at Stradbroke, Suffolk in 1766

Ann Gilchrist my 3 x g.g.aunt was baptised at St Mark’s Church, Frampton, Lincolnshire in 1802

Annie Elizabeth Hardy (nee Wadsworth) my husband’s g.grandmother died in Audenshaw, Lancashire 1898.  The cause of her death was uterine haemorrhage, Metritis (inflammation of the uterus) and pneumonia.  Reading about this condition, it is highly probable that she had either just delivered (no birth or death recorded so possibly a stillbirth) or had a miscarriage.  She left 10 children, 5 of them under the age of 10 and their father died only 2 years later.  Her eldest 2 daughters were married and so it fell to the 3rd daughter who was 18 when her mother died and 20 when her father died, to care for the rest of her siblings which she did until they, too, were all married.  Only then did she marry herself by which time she was aged 39. 

Catherine Collett (nee Baldwin) my 2 x g.g.aunt was buried at Mettingham Parish Church, Suffolk in 1891

Peter Pemberton my 1st cousin twice removed was buried at Kingsley Parish Church, Kingsley, Cheshire in 1875.  He was 11 years old.

Mary Ann Mumby (nee Rodgers) my 3 x g.g.grandmother (and grandmother of Arabella Charlotte Salter above) was buried at St Botolph’s Church, Boston, Lincolnshire in 1866

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 03 May 13 21:21 BST (UK) »
On 3 May 1958 Crawford Allingham died in Muiravonside. He was married to my grandfather's youngest sister and was the third of the same Allingham family to marry into my ancestry. My mother is named after his wife Jane. The Allinghams were originally from Ireland and were  distantly related to the Irish poet William Allingham. This is one of his poems titled 'A Dream'

I HEARD the dogs howl in the moonlight night; 
I went to the window to see the sight; 
All the Dead that ever I knew 
Going one by one and two by two. 

On they pass’d, and on they pass’d;         5
Townsfellows all, from first to last; 
Born in the moonlight of the lane, 
Quench’d in the heavy shadow again. 

Schoolmates, marching as when we play’d 
At soldiers once—but now more staid;         10
Those were the strangest sight to me 
Who were drown’d, I knew, in the awful sea. 

Straight and handsome folk; bent and weak, too; 
Some that I lov’d, and gasp’d to speak to; 
Some but a day in their churchyard bed;         15
Some that I had not known were dead. 

A long, long crowd—where each seem’d lonely, 
Yet of them all there was one, one only, 
Raised a head or look’d my way: 
She linger’d a moment,—she might not stay.         20

How long since I saw that fair pale face! 
Ah! Mother dear! might I only place 
My head on thy breast, a moment to rest, 
While thy hand on my tearful cheek were prest! 

On, on a moving bridge they made         25
Across the moon-stream, from shade to shade, 
Young and old, women and men; 
Many long-forgot, but remember’d then. 

And first there came a bitter laughter; 
A sound of tears the moment after;         30
And then a music so lofty and gay, 
That every morning, day by day, 
I strive to recall it if I may.

On 3 May my 4xG grandmother Janet Sneddon Gibb did me the great service of dying in 1855 thus giving me a very good record. The death certificate tells me that she died at 3.30 pm and was aged 77. Her husband John Brown was a joiner and had predeceased her. Her parents were Walter Gibb and Margaret Sneddon and that of her 10 children, 9 were still alive. It also tells me she was buried in Bo'ness Lower Wynd churchyard. This is her grave where she lies with her husband and two of her sons, Thomas and Alexander and Alexander's wife, Janet Cuthill.

SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 04 May 13 07:03 BST (UK) »
On this day my great great grandmother Martha Ann Boyce was born in Egham to George Boyce, a baker, and Martha nee Pierce.

In 1833 she married James Douglas, a watchmaker born in Chertsey, the marriage took place in St Marylebone's Church in London.
James set up his watchmaker's business in Egham , and they had 6 children, spread over 23 years.
When her eldest daughter Elizabeth Boyce Donaldson died, followed by her husband John Donaldson a year later, three of the Donaldson children settled in Egham, two with Martha's sister Sarah Pierce Boyce, who had married James's brother Albert, and one with James and Martha (John Donaldson junior)

Martha Ann wrote in a letter about collecting the girls from the farm in Sussex and referred to John as delicate

James Douglas died in 1879, and Martha Ann in 1880
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 04 May 13 09:50 BST (UK) »
2 birthdays today:

My grandson, Bobby, currently nursing a broken arm....came off his skateboard.  ::)

My 2xgt. uncle Richard Kingsman, born in 1870, at the City of London Lying In Hospital;  son of Richard Charles and Bridget (nee Bresnahan/Brosnan).  He married Mary Ann Wilkinson in 1892 at St Clement, Notting Hill. They had 10 children but only 5 survived and Mary died in 1914.  Richard has various hawker/dealer jobs; 1911 census did show him as "dealer in old lions"  ::).  Richard died in 1924.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 04 May 13 10:47 BST (UK) »
On this day in 1948 my cousin, Penny was born - the third of three daughters. 

Sadly, she died three years ago of ovarian cancer.    :'(
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 04 May 13 12:50 BST (UK) »
Stonechat, that is a great photo to have, I expect you treasure it.

Crawford Allingham, he of yesterday's post married my grand aunt Jane on 4th May 1918. Jane was the youngest of my great grandmother's children and the only one with her second husband making her my grandfather's half sister.Both died relatively young and are buried in the same cemetery as all four of my grandparents. I have much to thank Crawford for as it was his name as informant on my great grandmother's death certificate that was the subject of one of my very first posts on Rootschat, from which I now have ancestry back to the 1600's.

On 4th May 1856 Robert Tweedie, the eldest child of my GG grandparents John Tweedie and Rachel Brown was born in Whitburn. Robert was married to the above Crawford Allingham's aunt Elizabeth.

On 4th May 1952 my grandfather James died stupidly young and mainly because of a mis-diagnosis. He died before I was born and before my mother married and so I never got to know him. He worked as a miner and then on the railways and was a gifted musician, playing violin in an orchestra. This I am told is only one of several instruments he was capable of playing. His youngest child  is my mother. This is he in happier times with my gran, Elizabeth.

SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 04 May 13 12:57 BST (UK) »
On this day in 1976 I walked away from a difficult marriage and into a wonderful relationship, with my present husband and I havent left him yet...  ;)

xin ;D