Author Topic: Barbara Ross  (Read 3566 times)

Offline Robbie Ross

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Barbara Ross
« on: Wednesday 25 December 13 23:42 GMT (UK) »
My father, Alexander Currie Ross, was born 23April1908, at 468 Springburn Road, Glasgow, Scotland. His birth certificate shows him as "illegitimate," the son of one Barbara Ross, employed as a hotel tablemaid. Her domicile indicated as High Street, Invergordon. He was given at birth to my "grandmother" Robina Currie who raised him. These facts were not known to my father and for the most part stayed hidden until after his death in 1990. "Barbara" on previous forays seems to be a very common name at that time. Invergordon is a recent revelation found on scraps of paper. I wonder if anyone may have any knowledge of my Grandmother Barbara.
Robert Ross, Victoria, BC, Canada

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Barbara Ross
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 December 13 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Robert

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Really hard this type of search, as you have found sadly over the years of your research. As you will know, there was no paper trail for the unofficial and private adoptions that took place around this time (with adoption not becoming a legal process in Scotland until 1930).

From what you have and I have seen elsewhere:

Birth Certificate shows a Barbara Ross, Hotel Tablemaid, domicile - High Street - Invergordon as his mother, no father provided on certificate.

Barbara Ross may have went down to Glasgow to have the baby, your father. Or, she was a Glasgow girl, who happened to be working up north when she became pregnant and then came home to have her baby.

The family that raised him, did they marry in Hamilton Lanarkshire in 1907 (just read some very old posts elsewhere which mentioned Robina's maiden name as Murdoch)? A marriage in 1907 between an Alexander Currie and a Robina Murdoch in Hamilton and thought this might be the couple who were your grandparents? Just a guess from me.

If so, curious about the name given to your father in 1908 by Barbara Ross of Alexander Currie Ross and whether there was any earlier connection between Alexander Currie and Barbara Ross. Have you followed up the genealogy of the couple that adopted your father? I can see more on Robina Cunningham Murdoch's family (although tricky to find them on censuses overall).

Did Robina Murdoch remarry? www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=109995132

These searches are so hard, so trying to see if there are any other sources of info that might provide you with further clues. Sometimes, fingers crossed, going sideways can help with new info....when things are really hard  :-\

Have you found your father on the 1911 census?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Robbie Ross

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 December 13 18:40 GMT (UK) »
Monica: very much appreciated the information you provided. Yes, the Murdoch you mentioned was my grandmother. She appears to have been a slippery soul as she gave different versions of my dad's origins in writing and storytelling. She married Robert Forrest and he is my namesake, Robert Forrest Ross. Thank you for taking the time to research this. Every couple of years I wonder about my grandmother Barbara. Grandmother Forrest, once many years ago, when she was mad at her husband, told my eldest sister that she looked just like her real grandmother. My shocked sister asked what she meant, and was told that she had bright red hair like Barbara. Again, many thanks. My wife and I are planning a visit to the country of both or our origins. Her family is from the Shetlands.

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 January 14 17:31 GMT (UK) »
I can only find one Barbara Ross born in the parish of Rosskeen (Invergordon's parish) on Scotlands People website who might be worth checking out.  This Barbara was born in 1873 so would have been 36 when your father was born.  Maybe someone can check her out on the census of 1881 1891 1901 and 1911?  There are no Barbara Ross' in Rosskeen in the 1911 but two aged between 35 and 40 in Glasgow maybe she was working in the City even after she had your father?

It would also be worth checking where your father was (and who with) on the census of 1911.
Ireland, Co Antrim: Kerr; Hollinger; Forsythe; Moore
Ireland, Co Louth: Carson; Leslie
Ireland, Co Kerry: Ferris
Scotland, Perthshire/Glasgow:  Stewart
England, Devon/Cornwall: Ferris, Gasser/Jasser/Jesser, Norman