Author Topic: An unusual story .... can someone please help  (Read 15855 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: An unusual story .... can someone please help
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 16 October 10 12:02 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I am in NSW Australia .... 

There are restrictions on obtaining dcs in various states .... usually 30 year closed .... Of course there are newspaper indexes for death, funeral notices ... one online index is  http://www.ryersonindex.org/

There's a 1981 notice indexed at that link ....Abraham SHAPIRO death 19 Jan 1981, late of Maroubra (a suburb of Sydney).  The notice appeared in the SMH newspaper on 20 Jan 1981.  That newspaper notice may be one of several for that chap.... there may be a separate notice for the funeral service, this could be several days later in January.   There may be a probate/administration notice ... that could be several months after.

The ryerson index is prepared by volunteers, and there is a look up facility that the volunteers conduct, and is listed on their website.   I realise that "Abraham" is not "Isaac", but these two names are familiar to many  ;) and often go hand in hand.

If you think there may be a connection between Abraham Shapiro death 10 Jan 1981 and Shazzafitz's post "my father died in 1981 all alone in Australia", perhaps there's RChatters on the Aussie Board who can help with a visit to one of the major libraries in the various state capitals.

In the meantime, I will see if I can find any likely online sightings of an Isaac Shapiro in Australia post WWII ...

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 16 October 10 12:06 BST (UK) »
Forgot ...

Australian Passports did not "exist" until 1949 ...  This was because "Australian" citizenship did not come into effect until then ... Before 1949 Australians were "British Subjects", so they travelled on British Passports...  Some still do...  Was a British Passport valid for ten years before it needed renewing ..

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 16 October 10 12:20 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

The National Archives of Australia have an on-going project to index passenger arrivals in 20th Century. 

http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/scripts/PassengerSearch.asp

I did not find Isaac Shapiro arrival, but the index is not complete.  I did find one chap named Abraham who arrived
23 Nov 1946, on ship Zonnewijk ex Rotterdam.

Cheers,  JM

Offline Teddles

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 16 October 10 12:42 BST (UK) »
Submitted tree on Ancestry

Isaac Shapiro  20 Dec 1914 Lithuania - 3 June 1981 Sydney Australia. 
Lilly Segill  25 Feb 1929 Johannesburg-  29 Aug 1975 Johannesburg

Teddles.

Offline O1dgobbo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 16 October 10 16:38 BST (UK) »
Hi

I looked for Isaac Shapiros who married between 1919 and 1944 and found eight. I then checked the brides' forenames and looked for a death of xx Shapiro in the same quarter or a closely following quarter as the wedding. I could find two:

Isaac Shapiro married Annie Netz in Q3 1927 in Manchester North: an Annie Shapiro, age 44, died in Q3 1927 in Holborn.

Isaac Shapiro married Rose Danin in Q2 1929 in Greenwich: a Rose Shapiro, age 28, died in Q1 1930 in Thanet.

I cannot see anything in the Times or Guardian relating to this unlucky death.

All the best

Gobo
Aberdeenshire - Chalmers, Crocker, Dalrymple, Kelman
Fife - Co?per, Dun, Jackson
NE England - Harland, Hasted, Heaviside, Longridge, Thompson
SE England - Drawbridge, Hall, Hayward, Howard, Newell, Seward, Slade, Smith

Offline Bilge

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 16 October 10 17:27 BST (UK) »
In 1924 there was a SHAPIRO Issac, inbound Southampton on a vessel Arundel Castle from Capetown. SA he was in company with 2  females Elizabeth 18 yrs.and Sophie 39yrs. of the same name.
They were bound for the Savoy Hotel London!

Issac is listed as a Director.

ABELL-Hfds & Glouc. AWFORD-Glouc, Hfds & Worcs. DANTER-Glouc,Hfds & Worcs. DAUNTER-Hfds, Glouc & Worcs. BAYLISS-Worcs & Glouc. BILLINGHAM-Hfds. JENKINS-Glam, & Hfds. PIPER-Suffolk, Glam & Hfds. CULLUM-Hfds, Suffolk & Mom.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 16 October 10 17:32 BST (UK) »
On his honeymoon night he went to get his new bride a glass of champagne in the bathtub, when he got there she had drowned.

Yikes, shades of George Joseph Smith:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Joseph_Smith
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 16 October 10 17:46 BST (UK) »
Can I just reassure the OP that we aren't accusing her father of any impropriety!

:o
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 17 October 10 01:00 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Re Isaac Shapiro and the submitted tree showing 3 June 1981, Sydney Australia ...

There are two main daily newspapers in Sydney, and here is a link to the Archives for the Sydney Morning Herald. 
http://archives.smh.com.au/index.php   The other newspaper is The Daily Telegraph, and its archive service seems to date from c 1984 ...

The following paragraphs comes from the Welcome Page at the SMH archives link :

Search every edition of The Sydney Morning Herald and The Sun-Herald between 1955-1995 in our unique online archive. All articles, captions and advertisements are fully keyword searchable and full-text results are returned in an exact digital reproduction of the printed pages as they were originally published. Search birth, death and marriage notices. Explore Australia's history through the big stories of the day.
The SMH archives contains 820,000 pages in almost 13,000 issues spanning January 1st, 1955 to February 2nd, 1995. The contents of all issues are fully text searchable and reflect the full context and layout of each page as it was originally published.
Browse and search the 1955-1995 archive for FREE - although you must purchase a subscription to view the articles in full.

Fingers crossed,  ($15 Au for a 24 hour subscription to the SMH archives  ;) )

Cheers JM