Author Topic: Hannah SPARKS bC1861 Somerset, England  (Read 1930 times)

Offline Maere

• RootsChat Extra
  • Fac et Spera
    • View Profile
Hannah SPARKS bC1861 Somerset, England
« on: Monday 13 October 14 05:00 BST (UK) »
I have birthed, married, and killed off everyone in this family except Hannah. She was born 3 Nov 1862 in Cleve/Cleave, Yatton, Somerset to John SPARKS and Mary Ann HANCOCK, and one of 9 children. In 1871 she is listed as 8 years old, and is living with her family in Congresbury, Somerset. In 1881 she is listed as age 18, born in Congresbury, and is a domestic servant living the the house of Neil O. COYLE in Weston-super-mare. By 1891 she is gone. Short of ordering all the Hannah SPARKS deaths, and marriages from 1881-1891, I have found nothing to help me. I can find no record of her coming to North America, and nothing showing me she lived here. Hanna's brother, Sam, came to Canada in 1874. When Sam died in 1930, his obit (which had some errors in it) stated he had two sisters, one half sister, and one brother surviving. These people have been accounted for in New York state USA. I began to wonder if Hannah might have gone to Australia. There was a rumour floating around that one sibling had gone there. I know little to nothing about Australian genealogy. It sure would be nice to find this woman.

Maer
SPARKS and relateds: HILLMAN, CLARK(E), Cox, HARVEY, Banwell, Peters, HANCOCK, Poole, MAIN, Taylor, and many more. Primarily in Somerset, England with SPARKS and POOLEs to Ontario, New York, and Michigan.
MATHESON in Cape Breton and Ontario after HARRIS and BATCHELOR in Quebec and in Ireland and Scotland, respectively.
McLEAN and relateds in Cape Breton, Ontario, and Manitoba.
BATTEN and relateds from unknown place in England to Ontario to Michigan

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
Re: Hannah SPARKS bC1861 Somerset, England
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 October 14 05:42 BST (UK) »
Without actually knowing that Hannah came to Australia and worse still which State then the task is a big one. Have you checked for outbound passengers and or emigrants?

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 October 14 05:54 BST (UK) »
There is a marriage in 1880 of a Hannah SPARKS in Somerset and she is right age. When she was employed with the O'Coyle Family she may have lied to get the job :o

My finder says Hannah married one of two men. Samuel WARREN or Charles HITCHCOCK. I can find no reference to a Hannah with either surname and right birth year in 1891 census.

Neil

Offline thetowers

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 October 14 05:55 BST (UK) »
I'd be looking at deaths and marriages in England before rushing about aimlessly all over the world,  no matter how tedious it may be.

The 1880's seem to have been very unhealthy times in England.   A lot of people just died.

One line of enquiry I could suggest,  is to try and figure out when this Neil O Coyle died.  If he died,  she'd be out of a job,  which might tend to be the catalyst for a big move.

Offline thetowers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 October 14 06:17 BST (UK) »
There are no apparently marriages for a Hannah Sparks in NSW or Queensland.

There is one Hannah Sparks who died in NSW in 1889, it says her father's name is William.

There are no women dying named Hannah with father John Sparks in Queensland.

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 October 14 07:46 BST (UK) »
I would think that the request is a perfectly legitimate one seeking answers in Australia.
QUOTE: "rushing about aimlessly all over the world" seems a trifle harsh ::) Let's keep it friendly hey. ;D

Neil

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 October 14 07:49 BST (UK) »
Notoriously mistake ridden there is actually a death registration for a Hannah SPARKES in Australia with a father John and a mother Mary, however I don't see any real connection.

Neil

Offline thetowers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 October 14 07:59 BST (UK) »
What state is that in, Neil, and when ?

IIRC there were some bigshots in Queensland called Sparkes

Offline thetowers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 October 14 08:01 BST (UK) »
Short of ordering all the Hannah SPARKS deaths, and marriages from 1881-1891, I have found nothing to help me.

Short of ordering ALL of them,  I'd start with the ones nearest to Somerset first,  and work outwards from there.