Author Topic: Help identifying house in Llangurig/Cwmbelan  (Read 2776 times)

Offline Katie Steele

• RootsChat Member
  • G.Grandparents Charles and Elizabeth Steele
    • View Profile
Help identifying house in Llangurig/Cwmbelan
« on: Thursday 31 July 14 20:04 BST (UK) »
Firstly thank you to all that attempt to help me.

For the last few years I believed a house to be that of my great grandmothers birth... However on seeing it in person today the dates don't match so I did a bit of googling and it shows that the building there now was built on the ground of a once Methodist chapel in 1907.

The address in question is

Penybont, Pentre Nr Llanidloes

Now how I've wrote that is how it is on the gravestone and how it was on all postcards. However on marriage certificates 1872 and 1909 it is down as Penybont Pentre Llangurig.

Possible houses... (If it still stands)

1&2 Penybont cottages, Cwmbelan
Pentre house, Cwmbelan
Penybont Cottage, Llangurig

On the 1911 census, it's the house of a shoemaker and farmer of 300 acres. It has 8 rooms.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Katie Steele :)

Steele - Wellington, Drayton in Hales, Woodseaves - Shropshire <br />Jones - Montgomeryshire (Llanidloes and Llangurig)<br />Ball - Dawley, Shropshire <br />Williams - Dawley<br />Ray/Rea/Reay - Dawley, Shropshire, Bromsgrove, Worcs <br />Evans - Dawley, Horsehay<br />Halford - Dawley, Broseley, More, Clun<br />Harris - Little Wenlock, Birmingham, Feckenham<br />Paterson - Aberdeen<br />Skinner - Aberdeen

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help identifying house in Llangurig/Cwmbelan
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 August 14 00:30 BST (UK) »
Looking at a previous thread of yours,is it the dwelling of Richard and Anne Jones,given as one of the two Pen y Bont cottages,Cwmbelan,Llangurig in the 1881 census that you are looking for?

If so,given reasonably adjacent named properties,in particular Pendeintir(probably unique) the postcode is likely to be SY18 6RF(use this as the search term at www.old-maps.co.uk).

The PenyBont Cottage at Llangurig is at SY18 6SG which is about three miles away.You can see this for yourself by entering these two postcodes at:-
http://www.freemaptools.com/distance-between-uk-postcodes.htm

Hope I have interpreted your query correctly.

Regards
Roger

Offline Katie Steele

• RootsChat Member
  • G.Grandparents Charles and Elizabeth Steele
    • View Profile
Re: Help identifying house in Llangurig/Cwmbelan
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 August 14 09:08 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Yes it is the House of Richard and Anne Jones..see I'm no longer registered on Ancestry to search the surrounding the addresses. However have been using the list from the 1911 census, and that's what has put me at 1&2 Penybont Cottages. The only bit I was a lil weary at was there being 8 rooms and even today it's still two separate cottages.

Now to see if I can find any history on the cottages.

Thank you
Katie
Steele - Wellington, Drayton in Hales, Woodseaves - Shropshire <br />Jones - Montgomeryshire (Llanidloes and Llangurig)<br />Ball - Dawley, Shropshire <br />Williams - Dawley<br />Ray/Rea/Reay - Dawley, Shropshire, Bromsgrove, Worcs <br />Evans - Dawley, Horsehay<br />Halford - Dawley, Broseley, More, Clun<br />Harris - Little Wenlock, Birmingham, Feckenham<br />Paterson - Aberdeen<br />Skinner - Aberdeen