Author Topic: Bradmore wolverhampton, Gunmakers and Church Road  (Read 95314 times)

Offline Uplands

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bradmore wolverhampton, Gunmakers and Church Road
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 30 August 09 15:35 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the reply.
Here is the map that I have, it's very similar to yours but a little more detailed.
I well remember the lane your mother talks about,it used to be a short-cut to Uplands Avenue. When you went through the gate at the top into the field you were in another world. On the same level were the air-raid shelters and to your left, but at a lower level was a playing field. This used to belong to Bingley St school and there was an old cricket pavilion. The boundary to the left adjoined the rear gardens to Uplands Drive and the boundary to the front adjoined the rear gardens in Uplands Avenue. There used to be a stream running along this boundary. We were friends with the Jones's who lived at 23 Uplands Avenue and they used to let us cross a little bridge into their back garden. I used to live at No. 20 across the road.
I used to go to Warstones Rd school and to get to school I could walk down Uplands Ave, cut across where the old farm used to be, walk along the stream and come out into Trysull Rd by Desboroughs stores. (there is still a shop there). I would then walk up to-wards where the Imperial dairy used to be and then cut left up a little lane which came out not far from the island at the top of Oxbarn Ave, then down to the school which had only just opened, 1941.
Happy days.

Offline truebritmega

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 30 August 09 15:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for that map... yes it is a lot more detailed, wondering about number 3 church road is still bugging me a lil tho lol as Im trying to find out more about My greatx3 uncle who lived there at one point, and also at gladstone terrace, he was one of the big "Brazier"gun lock makers of the area... (Charles Brazier)

My mom and a great deal of her family lived in victoria road (the Griffiths and Monghans)

Do you happen to know anything more of the school in church road? it was actually known as st phillips day school, but My mom remembers playing in it as a kid when it was known as "the old army"... but I ahvent been able to find more about that
Smith, Tolley, Griffiths,
Monaghan, Richards, Clark, Clarke,
Brazier, Filben, Fibben,Filbin
Sherdon, Churden,Sheldon
Wolverhampton, Staffordshire, Bilston, Kent, London, Middlesex

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 31 August 09 18:52 BST (UK) »
I always wondered about the Dead Lads Grave

I've got a copy of an older map of Wolverhampton somewhere but I'm b******d if I can find it

(Hiya cuz)

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline truebritmega

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 01 September 09 15:07 BST (UK) »
LOL hi again willow, nice t see you again, and i bet the word you were gonna say was.. blasted?;)

Ive seen a few suggestions of what dead lads grave could be, one was that it was a private grave of someone, but really I aint got a clue...

Is the map you have older than 1890's ? if so, and if you can find it... hint hint;)

Sherdon, Churden,Sheldon

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 01 September 09 16:55 BST (UK) »
Lol I'll have another look when I get home but I havent seen it for about 5 years

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 01 September 09 19:11 BST (UK) »
No joy with the map I'm afraid although I have found one of the town centre with no date on it although it does have 'the site of the intended free church' (St Georges) on it so I'm guessing its before the others

I did find though

map of Northumberland dated 1610
some more books of old photos of Wolverhampton (no joy with the Gunmakers though) which includes one of a house in Victoria Road whos top floor was a railway carriage
the tarot book my x husband swore I had and I swore I hadn't
3 spell books I didnt know I had got
my stitch ripper
the cats ping pong ball which he is currently bouncing off the skirting board!  ;D

If you want any links for Wolverhampton stuff Bob let me know

Willow x

Offline Uplands

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 01 September 09 22:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Willow.
As regards the Dead lads grave, I don't think you will find an answer to that as it has been a bit of a legend for many, many years and no-one to my knowledge has been able to find out the origin of it.
Here is a pic that might interest you both. It is one I took many, many years ago (I can't remember when but the cars might give it away) of Star Street, Bradmore prior to it all being altered.

Regards, Bob.

Offline truebritmega

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 02 September 09 00:53 BST (UK) »
hmm I think ive seen that pic somewhere before, have you had it put in a book Bob? it looks familliar... I guess you didnt know anything about the school in church road being called "the old army" ?

Some pics Id be interested in... is the opposite side of hmmm how do I say, the opposite side of Trysul road, opposite the haulage yard (just before the shops with the chip shop etc)  the houses between the gunmakers and the bradmore..
I only vaguely remember them now... very vaguely, I remember the old post office there and Franks vegetable shop  (I think it was called franks.. the fella who owned it was called frank anyhow  lol... he later went on to own the fireplace yard in brickkiln st)

And yes Willow.. I know the old carriage, well I know of.. it, mom knew it well, very well and knew the girl who lived there, My mom was born in victoria road, and her nan and aunts and cousins all lived in that street, as well as My great x 3 Uncle, at Gladstone House( its name is on one of the houses there, I took a pic of it, i'll look for the pic in a min and post it up if I find it  lol (i love my camera phone!!LOL)

Oh and about last xmas-ish, the express and star ran a thing in it about the carriage house, I think it was a carl chin piece

And willow? anythign about the braziers in thaose books? theyw ere Gunmakers in Bradmore Cheers cuz (and Id still like that map you found if i might? lol
Sherdon, Churden,Sheldon

Offline truebritmega

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 02 September 09 01:02 BST (UK) »
Here Gladstone Terrace