Author Topic: Fire at Great Bedwyn 1599  (Read 1696 times)

Offline Trancesgirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Be Truthful, Factual and Openminded
    • View Profile
Fire at Great Bedwyn 1599
« on: Monday 31 March 14 21:48 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anyone could shed some light on the above.  A recent will was transcribed and the testator left a sum of money "for those afflicted by the fire at Great Bedwyn".  I have made a quick google search but nothing seems to come up.  I have checked the WSHC local studies page for Great Bedwyn and nothing significant is mentioned there either.  I haven't yet seen the parish records so maybe something was added there since the church were to oversee the distribution of the money.

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fire at Great Bedwyn 1599
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 May 14 23:27 BST (UK) »
the only fire I know about was in Aldbourne but that was much later...much much later....  as reported by Devizes Gazette. sorry...........

did youy check for insurance papers on the UK Nat Archives site...or on LOndon Gazette site as sometimes interesting events like that pop up there......????   worth a try maybe 
but Great Bedwyn nope havent a clue............

amended and then>

the wiltshire council site had >

to quote verbatim>

From the 18th century a court was held in the market house to oversee law and order in the town. Records describe the problems that afflicted Great Bedwyn at this time: blocked watercourses, dung in the streets, dilapidated buildings, unsafe wells and chimneys, unlawful grazing in the streets and loose animals. Instruments of punishment are recorded: a blind house, cage and cucking stool in the 17th century and a pillory and stocks in the 18th and 19th centuries. Fire blighted Great Bedwyn on several occasions and this grave issue and ways to avoid it are alluded to in the Quarter Sessions. The most tragic of all incidents was in April 1716 when 28 homes on the High Street and Farm Lane were destroyed by a "sudden and terrible" fire and the resulting damage valued at around £1,662. The Quarter Sessions explain:
"that the said goods were of great value, and that by the said accident most of the said sufferers (who before had acquired considerable substance and lived in a reputable manner, and were helpful to others) are now reduced to great want and poverty and become objects of charity and must unavoidable sink under the burden of this great calamity unless timely relived by the charity of such disposed persons."

Offline Trancesgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 May 14 06:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks - I had read the WSHC entry - it mentions a later devastating fire, however this one was referred to in a will which was proved in 1599 and the testator conferred a legacy upon the church to care for the victims of the recent fire.  The will had been written only months before the demise of teh testator.  Maybe a letter to the present incumbent is the way forward. 

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 May 14 06:57 BST (UK) »
if it was very severe the parish registers may have a gap???? or one heck of a lot of burials around a certain time???

Offline Trancesgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 May 14 07:02 BST (UK) »
Have looked nothing significant and nothing in the registers regarding a legacy - perhaps the vestry notes or parish chest will have something - the church itself may have some record somewhere. 

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 May 14 00:58 BST (UK) »
had another scout around...british history online mentioned yet another fire in an unused rundown manor house....       elsewhere there was a fire in circa 13th century...then there was also mention of IRA fire and Marlborough Fire and WW2 and truckload of others.........     but 1599 still not showing.....

by chance   what was the name of the chappie making the bequest?????

sometimes the coronial papers have mention of fires...but I am not sure of their scope as someone else did that research for my family through the county.....

Offline Trancesgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 May 14 04:03 BST (UK) »
The Benefactor was one John Hussey of Tidcombe Will Proved 1599

Word for word transcript is :-

Item I gyve six shillings Eight pence to be buryed in the pishe Church of Titcombe Item I give a bushell of wheate to Mr Gryffin Curat of the parishe of Titcombe; Item I give Tenne shillings to them of great Bedwin that have of late susteyned losse by ffyer To be distributed amongst them by the direction of the Church wardens & overseers of the same parishe of greate Bedwin

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 30 May 14 01:22 BST (UK) »
thank you trancegirl,   and I say that with a big grin................ cos looking for your fire I chanced upon a book....   and in that book it told of where my family crest is carved into a church.....although vandalised it probably and hopefully still exists in some fashion.................

and...............

also I have identified the house which was used as a medical clinic where I got my immigration shots before i came to Aust............................    so in a few clicks I suddenly solved two quirky little details ... ;)