Author Topic: Yarm Hall?  (Read 6035 times)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Yarm Hall?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 06 July 14 17:46 BST (UK) »
Yarm & Egglescliffe may have been in different counties but they actually border each other - Yarm (Yorkshire) is connected to the village of Egglescliffe (Durham) by a stone bridge built in the 1400's and which still stands. 

There is now a road called Yarm Road leading from Stockton-on-Tees to Yarm so I had a flick through the 1841 census and found what looks like Fawell's Buildings.

I'm not sure how familiar you are with the area but if you can get hold of a decent scale map you will see that leading off Stockton High Street is Yarm Lane, and from there you take a left onto Yarm Road, which takes you through Preston on Tees & Egglescliffe through to Yarm.   From the surrounding place names on the census - Castle Buildings, Castle Gate etc- it looks likely that Fawell's Buildings would have been close to the High Street (Stockton's shopping centre is now called the Castlegate Centre).

I'm never quite sure how to reference 1841 so here is everything: Class: HO107; Piece: 317; Book: 23.  Civil Parish: Stockton Upon Tees; County: Durham; Enumeration District: 1; Folio: 5; Page: 4;

Preston on Tees houses what is now Preston Park & Preston Hall Museum.   Preston Hall was built in 1825 and I wondered if perhaps the lands had previously housed 'Yarm Hall'.  I cant find any evidence of that but it's interesting that Preston Hall was built by David Burton Fowler and your original link makes reference to General Sir Fowler Burton b1822, son of David Burton.

Coincidence?

http://www.friendsofprestonpark.btck.co.uk/ParkHistory

MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 06 July 14 17:57 BST (UK) »
This seems to establish the link between Cherry Burton Hall and Preston Hall... although interestingly although Thomas Fawell is mentioned, it merely says Yarm, not Yarm Hall.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/017vd/
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 06 July 14 18:17 BST (UK) »
I'm never quite sure how to reference 1841 so here is everything: Class: HO107; Piece: 317; Book: 23.  Civil Parish: Stockton Upon Tees; County: Durham; Enumeration District: 1; Folio: 5; Page: 4;

A full reference number for the 1841 is the class number/piece number/book number/folio number/page number  :)

So in the example you quote the correct reference would be HO 107 / 317 / 23 / 5/ 4
The parish name, county and enumeration district aren't part of the reference  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 06 July 14 18:40 BST (UK) »
One last link, which ties the Fawell name to lands in Egglescliffe, but still no Yarm Hall:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/017vk/

And PS - thanks Jen  :)

Offline Matt62

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 27 July 14 22:09 BST (UK) »
One last link, which ties the Fawell name to lands in Egglescliffe, but still no Yarm Hall:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/017vk/

And PS - thanks Jen  :)

I want to thank everyone, including yourself, for your help. You are all so helpful!  ;D

I found this, which corroborates your link above about my ancestor Thomas Fawell esq. and Leonard Raisbeck esq. (who is mentioned in your link) owning land in Yarm and Egglescliffe:

http://apps.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=020-uhd&cid=1-22&kw=Teesside%20Archives#1-22

Copy lease and release from Warcop Consett of Brawith esq. to Thomas Fawell of Yarm esq. and Leonard Raisbeck of Stockton esq. of messuages and land in Yarm and Eaglescliffe, together with tanhouse and pits, quays, wharfs, granaries and warehouses in Yarm  U/HD/21  2nd and 3rd February 1807

Since Thomas Fawell already lived in Yarm (he is described as "of Yarm"), I don't know if it will actually help me if I went and found this legal document, since my ancestor might have lived in this (seemingly invisible  ::) ) "Yarm Hall" while also buying the land mentioned above. If he is already "of Yarm" in 1807 then he would have to have lived somewhere already in the village.

Could anyone tell me what exactly a "lease and release" was?

Offline Matt62

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 27 July 14 22:26 BST (UK) »
There are a couple of references to Thomas here http://apps.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=020-uhd&cid=-1#-1 that might be of interest.

Thank you! I hadn't read your post before I put up the same link above. You beat me to it  ;D

Offline David Appleton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 28 September 14 08:45 BST (UK) »
Going off at a slight tangent I notice that there is a quote mentioning Warcop Consett ( of Brawith Hall ) and I have just found, amongst a pile of old local papers and documents, an old Tees Bank One Pound note from 19th May 1825 with his name on it.

Offline macintosh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 29 September 14 09:32 BST (UK) »
There is reference to the death of Thomas Fawell of Yarm 31.3.1842 aged 83 years in "The Histories and Antiquities of Cleveland" by John Shotton page 516 and David Burton Fowler ofCherry Burton, East Riding county of York and of Preston on Tees 30.1.1828 aged 92 years and his niece Sarah relict of Marshall Robinson of Sunderland, merchant, niece of the above named David Burton Fowler Esq. she died on the 12th March 1828 aged 69yrs.
There is also a reference to the daughter of David Burton as Elizabeth Hicks d. 27.12.1819 aged 85 yrs. widow of George Hicks, merchant of Yarm daughter of David Burton by Sarah his wife,

The local library should have this book, it it to large to copy anything from it and I am not sure as to the legality of such an enterprise.

James