Author Topic: George Harry Allport  (Read 2240 times)

Offline nessa

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Harry Allport
« on: Monday 07 July 14 08:36 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have been researching my Allport family who moved to North Ormesby during the mid 1860's from Dudley Staffordshire.  There seems to be a  number of Allport's living in and around Charles Street and Smeaton Street.  I have come across a George Harry Allport who seems to have played for Middlesborough F.C. in the late 1890's, I have a George Harry Allport born  about 1874 North Ormesby to George Harry Allport and Alice Howes, I wonder if they are the same person?

In 1891 he is living in Smeaton Street 17 iron works labourer

In 1901 he is at 6 Charles Street 27 single iron moulder living with mother and step father James Onions.

nessa

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Harry Allport
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 July 14 08:46 BST (UK) »
I googled "Middlesbrough" "FC" and "Allport" and got a wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Allport

Henry George Allport, born 1873 North Ormesby, played 21 games for Middlesbrough Ironopolis in 1893-4, and 31 games for Middlebrough in 1899-1900.

See also: http://web.archive.org/web/20050110185803/http://members.aol.com/ironopolis/MIREPORT.html#Liverpool%20home

Allport scored v Ardwick on 23rd Sept 1893
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline nessa

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 09:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply and the information.

Offline Dibner7

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 September 14 17:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Nessa
You are correct that George Harry Allport living with his step father James Onions and family in North Ormesby, where he was born, played for Ironopolis and Middlesbrough FC in the very early days of the club.
The Allport and Onions families intermarried a number of times over the years. James Onions (my Gt. Grandfather) was married twice, both times to Allport women.  His first wife was Alice Ann Allport, daughter of Noah and Mary and when she died in 1893 he was left to care for a young family.  His second marriage was to the widow of his brother-in-law, (George Harry Allport Snr. d.1891) and the two families effectively amalgamated.  What a mixture eh!  They must have got on reasonably well as George Harry Jnr.was shown as best man on my grandfathers Charles Frederick Onions marriage lines.