Author Topic: The last years of John in Harrogate  (Read 8172 times)

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: The last years of John in Harrogate
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 22 October 14 03:20 BST (UK) »
garden to put to sleep.

Well, I wish you an easier time of it than I am having. No nice autumn weather this year at all - just raw, rain and cold.

Do you know the ward and plot numbers for Margaret, Thomas and John Tillman - the ones with the massive monument? It might be worthwhile looking at just the images for that ward as often families tried to get plots near each other.

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 22 October 14 09:01 BST (UK) »
Morning Westoe

Now how was I to know you lived in Alaska  !! We seemed to have had the opposite weather, 25°C here last week, but now starting to drop, and with it the leaves!

Yes Margaret is alongside in her own grave, while John and Thomas are in together under the Marble, do wonder who might have put it up though, as all the names of the family are on it including Mary Isabella, the last to go ( 1907 )though in fact she was buried in Kensall green cemetery in London - so who put it up - maybe her daughter - had mother put on to the existing edifice.

Have been in touch with the Mayor's Office in Sulina, and if they can still find Capt John's grave they will send a photo.

Back to searching the wives of our Ellington Chippies, and hoping that 'Ryhopelad' ( who lives up there, might be able to help).

Best

John
Goodsir.  Ellington. Tillman.  Wilson. AngAs. Capstaff (Northumberland & Durham)
Macaire. Eusebe. Boitel. Beaulieu. Gordon. Tillman. Fear. Wood.
 ( London/ Middlesex & Devon )

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 22 October 14 09:13 BST (UK) »
Yes, John, but do you have the ward and plot numbers? If you've got them, send them on. Since she-who-must-be-obeyed won't let you do it, I would take a look for you in that ward only to see if the Tillman plot is anywhere close to Lavinia's.

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 22 October 14 12:57 BST (UK) »
According to Ryhopelad Lavinia is in Bishopwearmouth cemetery

Best

John
Goodsir.  Ellington. Tillman.  Wilson. AngAs. Capstaff (Northumberland & Durham)

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 22 October 14 17:59 BST (UK) »
Old age working well, me thinks I am wandering too far off the subject, and not actually getting anywhere on John's last years - so will put completed on this one and back to Durham and 'Tammy married her daughter Off' to continue the search.

Best

John

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 22 October 14 18:00 BST (UK) »
John Tillman b. 1834 in Sunderland, became a well known Sunderland Architect and thanks to the Sunderland Echo - a well recorded one, but after his Brother (and junior partner) died in 1892, except for the fact that he put his house ( Clifton Villas) up for sale in 1894 - no records till his death on the 31th December 1899 (in his house in Harrogate -140 Valley Drive).

Knowing that he was a member of the Wesleyan Church and also a Mason, I am wondering if there might be any record of him there in Harrogate or in what ever Newspaper existed in Harrogate at that time. Did he in fact design Valley drive for Example. COMPLETED
Best

John 1935