Author Topic: 50 Wellington St, Slough  (Read 2831 times)

Offline edalmun

• RootsChat Senior
  • www.greatauntyalice.com
    • View Profile
50 Wellington St, Slough
« on: Sunday 27 July 14 13:15 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am trying to find out about an address in Slough and wondered if any of you have come across it before. Minnie Elsie Claridge was born 2 May 1899 at 50 Wellington St, Slough to Mary Louisa and William James Claridge. Both her parents were from around Ramsbury in Wiltshire, yet for unknown reasons Minnie was born in Slough. By August 1899 she is back in Ramsbury to be baptised. By 1901 she is living with her grandparents and her parents have disappeared.

I wanted to try and work out why she was born in Slough and also possibly trace her parents and therefore looked up 50 Wellington St on the 1901 census. The building was unoccupied but the building next door is simply recorded as 'Salvation Army' with no further info or inhabitants. Is there some connection? I know people who were born in institutions often used a nearby address on certificates to avoid the shame, could something similar have happened here? I believe there was also a British Orphan Asylum on the same street, could that be connected? Minnie wasn't an orphan, and her parents were married, but something strange went on that left her with her grandparents so I wouldn't be surprised if her birth was connected to one of these two places.

Any advice, ideas, other places worth looking etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you :)
www.greatauntyalice.com - A directory of independent family history researchers based across the UK and around the world. From small look-ups to extensive research Great Aunty Alice has a researcher who can help you.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wrong board
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 July 14 13:20 BST (UK) »
Who was the informant on Minnie's birth certificate?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline edalmun

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 50 Wellington St, Slough
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 July 14 13:20 BST (UK) »
Her mother, Mary Louise Claridge. She gives 50 Wellington St as her address too.

EDIT: Interestingly the birth was registered 9th June, a whole month after the birth. If she was at some maternity hospital I wouldn't necessarily expect her to be there so long afterwards.
www.greatauntyalice.com - A directory of independent family history researchers based across the UK and around the world. From small look-ups to extensive research Great Aunty Alice has a researcher who can help you.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 July 14 13:21 BST (UK) »
You can ask a moderator to transfer your thread to the appropriate county board.
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline edalmun

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 July 14 13:24 BST (UK) »
I think I'll leave it here, I wasn't sure whether Slough is Bucks or Berkshire but the birth was Bucks so I'll stick with that. Sorry for the confusion!

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 July 14 13:28 BST (UK) »
Had they married in Newbury in 1896?

What was William's occupation?

Offline edalmun

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 27 July 14 13:40 BST (UK) »
Yes, that's them. William was a labourer.

In 1911 William is living in Vaynor, Glamorgan with wife Lily, to whom he claims to have been married for 10 years. As his brother and mother are in the same area I think it is very likely to be him. I can't find William or Mary Louisa on the 1901 census.

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 27 July 14 14:07 BST (UK) »
Slough was in Buckinghamshire until about 1976, since then in Berkshire.
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.