Author Topic: Bryce Family  (Read 8561 times)

Offline jbryce1437

• RootsChat Extra
  • If you can't join them, beat them
    • View Profile
Bryce Family
« on: Sunday 06 May 07 21:29 BST (UK) »
Looking for information on Robert Bryce born c1811 at Airdrie. He married Agness Jinkin at St Ninian in 1828 and the 1851 census lists them at St Ninian as
Agness Bryce m. Robert b.1811 St. Ninian, Stirling wife
David Bryce b.1850 Govan Lanark son
James Bryce b.1836 St. Ninian, Stirling,son
John Bryce b.1831 St. Ninian, Stirling, son
Margaret Bryce b. 1846 St. Ninian, Stirling, son
Robert Bryce b.1810 Andrie, Lanark, Head
Robert Bryce b.1834 St. Ninian, Stirling, son
William Bryce b. 1841 St. Ninian, Stirling, son

Robert died at Southwick, Sunderland in 1876 and most of his sons were Iron Shipbuilders who worked on the rivers Tyne, Wear and Tees, as well as at Barrow in Furness and Pembroke Dock/Haverfordwest in Wales.

Whilst Robert may have been born in Airdrie, there may also be links with Coatbridge (note David was born at Govan in 1850) and I would be interested in finding his parents and siblings.

One possible link could be to this family:
James Bryce married Agnes Wood in 1799 in Lanark. They had a large family, all seem to have been born in the same area of Lanarkshire: Jean 1799, John 1801, Janet 1803, William 1804, Agnes 1806, James 20 02 1808, Thomas 05 11 1809, Robert 01 06 1811, David 02 11 1813, Margaret 20 08 1815, George 1817, Alexander 06 09 1812 and Helen 03 08 1821 a second Alexander 19 10 1818.

I believe the only link with St Ninian is the marriage to Agness and I don't believe that Robert was, as far as I can gather at present, related to another, well documented, Bryce family in St Ninian.

Grateful for any information.
Bryce

Offline moscan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The next generation
    • View Profile
Re: Bryce Family
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 May 07 23:54 BST (UK) »
Hello there,

I did a quick check on Scotlandspeople and there were no Robert Bryce births between between 1800 and 1830 for births on Airdrie,

There are 35 Robert Bryce births/baptisms for that period  15 in Lanarkshire, one in Old Monkland,
28/04/1811 parents Thomas Bryce and Janet Harvey.

I will look and see if there are any siblings with those parents.

22/08/1813 - Margaret Bryce  Same parents....

Did find this web page that may be useful:

http://airdrie.net/weblog2/

Best wishes and sorry could not help you more

Mo

All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br /><br />Researching: - Freear, Walker, Aston, Scanlan, Courtney, Lowth, O’Sulivan, McDonnell, Condon, McMahon, McKay, Brock, Gourlay, Busby<br /><br />Locations: - March in Cambridgeshire, Banbury in Oxfordshire, Mileham in Norfolk, Worcester, Evesham, Claines in Worcestershire, Birmingham. Dublin, Cork, Fermanagh in Ireland.  Glasgow, Stirling in Scotland

Offline jbryce1437

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 May 07 18:02 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your help Mo.
It has taken quite a while to establish that Robert was born at Airdrie, but it is now proving more difficult to find his parents and siblings.
Will check out the link.

Jim
Bryce

Offline New Zealander

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 March 14 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jim

I know that it is quite a while since you last appeared on Roots Chat but hopefully you may get this or someone will pass it on.

I too are very interested in the Bryce family .. my lot James Bryce and Janet Bryce nee Miller came out to New Zealand in 1874 and settled in Palmerston near Dunedin, Otago.  James was born to Robert Bryce and Margaret Little on 25.12.1844.

Also resident at Palmerston was a George Bryce.  On his Death Certificate  James Bryce states he was a uncle to George Bryce.  I believe this  George Bryce might have been born to James Bryce and Agnes Wood on 05.05.1817.  This of course leads me to your post above:-

"James Bryce married Agnes Wood in 1799 in Lanark. They had a large family, all seem to have been born in the same area of Lanarkshire: Jean 1799, John 1801, Janet 1803, William 1804, Agnes 1806, James 20 02 1808, Thomas 05 11 1809, Robert 01 06 1811, David 02 11 1813, Margaret 20 08 1815, George 1817, Alexander 06 09 1812 and Helen 03 08 1821 a second Alexander 19 10 1818".

I wonder you have an interest in my James Bryce and any knowledge of the George Bryce born in 1817.

It would be great to hear from you.

Kind regards

Alex G ;D
New Zealand
Glasgow .. Glennie/Bryce, Aberdeenshire .. Glennie/ Grassick,
Clackmannanshire .. Bryce/Miller
Arbroath .. Spink
Oxfordshire .. Green
Cornwall .. Vincent

Ireland (Cobh) .. Sullivan

New Zealand .. Glennie/Bryce/Grassick/Spink/Palmer

Chatham Islands .. Rewai

Australia .. Glennie/Ross/Lusk

Offline jbryce1437

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 March 14 15:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello Alex and many thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, still no further forward with my search. I have copied your post to another Bryce researcher on my line, also resident in New Zealand, and hope she can find a common link between our trees. I am sure we have looked at the James Bryce and Agnes Woods families in the past, but discounted them. However, my record keeping isn't the best so I await a reply from New Zealand to discount or confirm my thoughts.
There are a lot of common names between the two trees, but our ancestors may have deliberately gone that route to confuse us ;D

Jim
Bryce

Offline New Zealander

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 March 14 19:34 GMT (UK) »
Jim

Many thanks for your reply and agree with you. 

I discovered 3 or 4 years ago that my James Bryce left behind a half brother in Glasgow when he came out to New Zealand in 1875.  This opened up a whole new family line we knew nothing about previously .  Absolutely fascinating and it took me across the USA and Scotland last year in 2013 to meet and stay with them.  We still keep in touch.

The information that linked George Bryce to James Bryce and Agnes Woods .. possibly his parents.  George's Death Certificate stated he was aged 71 years when he died on 14.08.1888 which makes his date of birth as 1817 hence James Bryce and Agnes Woods being his parents ???

I have yet to find the link between my James Bryce and his uncle George Bryce's parents only the death certificate in New Zealand and the information contained there.

Would be nice to hear from the other Bryce researcher in New Zealand .. maybe we have a common interest though I realise there are a few Bryce families out here other then my lot?

Cheers

Alex G ;D
Arbroath .. Spink
Oxfordshire .. Green
Cornwall .. Vincent

Chatham Islands .. Rewai

Offline jenzis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 14 March 14 04:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alex,
I see you have a George Bryce who died in 1888 aged 71, but you mention his uncle James Bryce being on the death certificate. Is this a very old uncle or a nephew ?

The Bryce family uses the same names over and over again.
Very confusing for us descendants !
I live in New Zealand too but I don't think we're related, although  I am related to Jim.

Offline New Zealander

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 14 March 14 06:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello there from Invercargill

The Death Certificate for George Bryce who died in 1888 aged 71 states the death was registered (if I recall correctly) by James Bryce (my great grand father) who states on the Certificate that George Bryce was his uncle.  James Bryce would be a nephew to George !!

I have attempted to trace the family of George Bryce i.e. his parents  and keep coming back to James and Agnes Wood but never got beyond that.

You are right there are many Bryce families, all over New Zealand and the world in fact with the name of James.

Cheers

Alex G
Arbroath .. Spink
Oxfordshire .. Green
Cornwall .. Vincent

Chatham Islands .. Rewai

Offline jenzis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 14 March 14 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reply. I thought you might be a Mainlander. There are many Bryces there. Did you read the report of your George's death in "PapersPast " ? He was a groom and died in his sleep in a Palmerston hotel . Apparently there had been two similar unexpected deaths in the same hotel previous to his but the coroner thought it was just coincidence.
Anyway, I'm in Wanganui, where of course we have a Bryce street, if you're ever up this way, it would be good to meet and compare family trees.
Best Wishes.
J.