Author Topic: Comrie family of Perthshire  (Read 23460 times)

Offline kettles

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Comrie family of Perthshire
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 31 December 09 16:23 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if this fellow fits into any of your family ... but, I have photocopy of a John Comrie of Crieff that served in the SAW with the South African Constabulary. Also a W. Comrie of Crieff of the 12th POWRL  no photo. Willing to share info
Kettles/Kettle .... Scotland, Canada, USA & Australia
Nelson ... Ireland, Canada
Arbuckle ... Ireland, Canada
Hall .... Ireland, Canada

Offline picamarra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 01 January 10 11:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kettles. I do not think that the two Comries you mention are connected with my line.  There are, of course, hundreds of Comries descending from Crief.  I would, however ,be interested in seeing all the information that you hold on the two Comries that you mention.              Best wishes.             picamarra.

Offline kettles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 03 January 10 20:11 GMT (UK) »
picamarra
1st Cl Tpr John Comrie (Crieff) Served in South African War 1901-1902 (Queens medal, with clapsps "Transvaal""South Africa 1901""South Africa 1902"

Pte W. Comrie (Crieff) Enlkisted 1900. Served in Suoth African War 1901-1902 (Queens medal with clasps "Cape Colony""South Africa, 1901" and "South Africa 1902". Discharged invalided 1903
Kettles/Kettle .... Scotland, Canada, USA & Australia
Nelson ... Ireland, Canada
Arbuckle ... Ireland, Canada
Hall .... Ireland, Canada

Offline picamarra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 04 January 10 08:52 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou very much Kettles.     Regards.   Picamarra.

Offline JenniferFT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 09 April 10 19:08 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am just starting to get in to the 1800's in my research and I have found a Comrie relative.

My great-great grandmother was Ann Jemima Comrie born in Blackford Perth about 1839.  Ann's father was Donald Comrie born in Comrie, Perth abt 1806.  Donald Comrie was married to Janet Comrie (I believe maiden name was McGregor).  Janet (McGregor) Comrie was born in Comrie, Perth in abt 1797.  Donald and Janet Comrie lived in Muthill Village as per the 1851 census with their daughters Ann and Catherine Comrie (born abt 1837 Blackford Perth).  Ann Jemima Comrie married Duncan Ferguson on 1 June 1860 in Muthill.  She was listed as a domestic servant at the time of her marriage and he was a painter.  Janet (McGregor) Comrie was listed as deceased by this date.

Duncan Ferguson and Ann (Comrie) Ferguson seem to have stayed in Muthill for a couple of years and then moved around.  Their children are as follows as far as I could tell from census records.  Jessie/Janet born Muthill 1861, Daniel born Muthill 1864, Duncan born Glasgow 1866, Isabella born Grangemouth, Stirlingshire 1869, Elizabeth born Lauristown, Stirlingshire 1871, James born Glasgow 1873 and Peter born Glasgow 1875 (my great grandfather).

If anyone has any further information relating to Ann Jemima Comrie, her parents or any these Comrie relations, I would love to hear from you.  Thank you.  Jennifer.

Offline picamarra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 10 April 10 17:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Jennifer FT'
I cannot find any connection with our "line of Comries", many of whom came from Muthill and Comrie itself, and with your relaton Ann Jemima Comrie. I have to say that in my experience, Jemima is a very unusual middle name ,the like of which I have never come across before in all my research into our Comrie family name..   Best wishes .  picamarra.

Offline jubed

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 10 April 10 18:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenniferft,I have found Donald and Janet Comrie (both born 1806)in the 1841 census living in
Ladyston Perthshire with Peter b 1836, Elizabeth b 1836(poss twins)Catherine b 1837 and Ann b 1838.
I also found Ann and Duncan in the 1861 census at 45 Richard st Glasgow Barony with Janet aged 1 month.
In 1871 they are at 46 St James st Glasgow Maxwell with
Jessie 10 Daniel 6 Duncan 5 Isabella 3 and Elizabeth 9 months.
In 1881, still at same address with above family, plus James 8 and Peter 6.
In 1891,they are at 20 Watt st Glasgow Govan. Duncan is listed as a ship painter,Isabella a furnishing shop keeper,James an apprentice house joiner and Peter(your ggranddad)a clerk.
In 1901 I find Duncan and Ann alone in Wellington st Dunoon.
The only Peter Ferguson who seems to fit in 1901 is a 26 yr old bookkeeper with a wife Agnes aged 25 and son Duncan aged 4 months at 15 Cartvale rd Cathcart Renfrewshire.
Hope this helps a little.I'm also a Comrie but no relation sorry.
Best wishes and welcome to Rootschat Jubed
Sussex-Bedwell.Perthshire, Stirlingshire-Comrie.East Yorkshire-Berry,Bostock.Cumberland,Durham-Smith,Douglas.

Offline malwil2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 05 June 10 12:18 BST (UK) »
I have just joined Rootschat and this is my first post.  I was wondering if anyone has any connection to Sarah COMRIE (1772- Bef 1844), born Monzievaird PER SCT to parents John COMRIE and Sarah McEWAN.  Sarah married David LAWSON (1773-1847) on 16 Nov 1794 Blackford PER SCT. Because the deaths of both Sarah and David occurred pre civil registration, I have no easy way of confirming their parentage.  My hope is that David's parents are  William LAWSON and Lillias SINCLAIR who are my 4th great grandparents.

malwil2 in Australia

Offline BROADFIELD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 11:54 BST (UK) »
Not sure if we're the same family but I have a James Comrie no dates, father of John Comrie born1815-1900 in Blackford. He married Elizabeth Kennedy in 1842.