Author Topic: William and Eliza Hayne in 1871 Census  (Read 1153 times)

Offline jibba

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Nothing is true, everything is permitted
    • View Profile
William and Eliza Hayne in 1871 Census
« on: Tuesday 15 July 14 11:44 BST (UK) »
Hi
In trying to discover the whereabouts of my ancestor Samuel Hayne in and beyond the 1871 census, see here - http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=674109.msg5191110#msg5191110 , I have traced his siblings to see if he was living with one of them, with the exception of one.

William Hayne, born 1835 at Earls Colne, Essex, was Samuel’s eldest brother. By the 1851 Census, he was living in Bethnal Green and was working as an apprentice to a linen draper.

He married Eliza English, (c.1831 at Nottingham), in 1858 also in Nottingham, and they produced two known sons. The family can be found there in the 1861 census, with William still being listed as a linen draper.

I cannot find William or Eliza in the 1871 census. Their children though can be found living with William’s sister in Chelmsford.

However in September 1871, the Chelmsford Chronicle wrote an article regarding William’s mother who had broken her arm. William wrote into the paper to highlight errors in the article, leaving his address as Broadway, Stratford.

Even with the above address, my initial searches for William and Eliza in the 1871 census have been unsuccessful. Can anyone help me in locating them?

Offline Jolee

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William and Eliza Hayne in 1871 Census
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 August 14 10:57 BST (UK) »
I found a possible marriage for Matthew James Hayne age 21 a draper on Aug 22 1881 at St Mary's Marylebone London Middlesex to Helen Haden, his father is said to be William Hayne also a draper but deceased her father was Henry Haden a butler

Offline Jolee

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 August 14 11:02 BST (UK) »
Just another maybe a William Hayne died Dec quarter of 1875 aged 40 makes birth 1835 in West Ham district Essex Stratford was a sub district of West Ham. BMD ref 4a 69.

Offline jibba

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Nothing is true, everything is permitted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 October 14 06:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The death entry listed above is my Williams. Also the marriage of Matthew Hayne is his eldest son.

The situation around the 1871 period is very odd. Was William helping Samuel hide from his family obligations? Also why were both William and Elizabeth not living with their children?