Author Topic: Lighthouse Keepers of Wexford  (Read 29912 times)

Offline canberragirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lighthouse Keepers of Wexford
« on: Friday 12 September 08 16:34 BST (UK) »
How would I go about finding info on a relative whose occupation was a lighthouse keeper in Wexford. Unfortunately I don't know which lighthouse. He is Thomas Kevin Delaney b. 18/7/1910 in Wexford town.
carroll (south co.dublin)carroll,doyle,byrne(wicklow,arklow, avoca) coates, delaney, wade (wexford town)
callaghan, meehan (navan, co. meath)
Wilson (Cambridgeshire) Rogers, (poss London) Celey or Sealy, Vickery (North Curry, Somerset)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Lighthouse Keepers of Wexford
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 September 08 18:32 BST (UK) »
I know it's too early for your Thomas but the following page mentions two Delaney's (including a Thomas from Wexford) who served on a Lightship around 1911 - maybe the occupation was a family tradition?

http://www.cil.ie/sh610x3938.html     (Commissioners of Irish Lights)

Shane

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline TF13

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Emain Macha
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 September 08 23:34 BST (UK) »
hi,

i know of 4 lighthouses in wexford, theres maybe more.
duncannon north,rosslare,tuskar rock and the famous hook head.
i visited hook head a couple of summers ago and its a beautiful place. the tour around was given by one of the last men to work in a lighthouse in ireland before they where automated. the same man had worked in every lighthouse in ireland at one time or another and could describe the differences in each one. there is a tourist board website that you could contact and see if they have any histories that you could access;

www.thehook-wexford.com

tony

Offline canberragirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 September 08 02:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks to Tony and Shane for your info on the lighthouse keepers. My Thomas Kevin Delaney's father was also a Thomas who was a seaman and his father Richard Delaney was also a seaman so yes it seems to have been a family tradition. I will try and contact the people at "Commissioner of Irish Lights" and "Hook Head" . Regards Maeve
carroll (south co.dublin)carroll,doyle,byrne(wicklow,arklow, avoca) coates, delaney, wade (wexford town)
Wilson (Cambridgeshire) Rogers, (poss London) Celey or Sealy, Vickery (North Curry, Somerset)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 September 08 08:32 BST (UK) »
I frequent the Hook Head area for holidays etc as a family member has a house in the area. A visit to the tip of the Hook and and the lighthouse is a sort of Family Tradition. Definitely worth doing when the waves are up!

The lighthouse has a little museum (and coffee shop) attached - next time I'm in I'll have a quick look for any mention of Delaney's

Shane.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline canberragirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 September 08 15:35 BST (UK) »
Shane that's very generous of you, thanks so much for your help. I couldn't help but notice the family names that you are interested in, some of them are quite similar to mine. I am actually from Dublin originally but my grandfather Joseph Carroll on my father's side was born in Wicklow and lived in South County Dublin where my father grew up. My g/grandfather Michael Carroll was also from Wicklow and married to a Bridget Doyle from Wicklow and my gg/grandfather Patrick Carroll was from Avoca, Wicklow married to a Frances (Fanny) Byrne of Avoca, Wicklow. I notice that you have Wilson as well - my husband is a Wilson of NSW, Australia and his ancestors I think are from Cambridgeshire UK. I haven't started compiling his info yet just trying to plough through my own first. However, I'm now curious to have a look at his as well.
Regards Maeve

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 13 September 08 15:50 BST (UK) »
One of my 'problem' ancestors is a Henry Wilson who left his wife and children (possibly with a young female companion) in Leeds and went to NSW,  probably in the late 1890s. Henry was born in Chatteris, Cambridgeshire.

After he vanished he was traced by the Salvation Army to Sydney, Australia on behalf of his wife, but they lost track of him after that....

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 13 September 08 16:10 BST (UK) »
Sorry this link's not much help ... it shows a lighthouse keeper at Tory Island, Co. Donegal taking a tea break http://tinyurl.com/449qtp

Offline linden

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 13 September 08 17:57 BST (UK) »
Will the records for Lighthouse Keepers be at Kew ?
The naval and coastguard records are. And pensions may have been paid from London . There should be pension records after 1908 .
Linden