Author Topic: Alexander Montgomery, Isle of Arran  (Read 11193 times)

Offline Yoric

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Alexander Montgomery, Isle of Arran
« on: Saturday 03 June 06 00:38 BST (UK) »
Help needed in finding the names, ages, etc of the parents of Alexander Montgomery. Born 1808 in the Kilmory Parish, Isle of Arran, Buteshire, Scotland. Died 3-Sep-1884.

All searches turning up blank at present.
Yoric
Branchflower/Taylor/Smith: Somerset
Harding/Yeates/Pugh: Hereford
Williamson: Dundee
Puddephatt/Gates: Hertfordshire

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Montgomery, Isle of Arran
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 August 06 21:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Yoric,

I have found this birth and baptism.

Alexander Montgomery b 22 May, bapt 29 May 1808 Kilmory, parents  John Montgomery and Janet McKenzie.

You can confirm this from Alexander's death certificate from Scotlands People which should include both his parents' names.

All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 August 06 21:58 BST (UK) »
Alexander left a 15 page will - available to purchase and download on the Scotlands People site for £5 - sounds like good value.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Yoric

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 August 06 08:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks Nell,
I'll get straight on to that ;D.
All the best Yoric

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 August 07 20:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Yoric

How did you get on with this?  going back to Arran at the weekend if there is anything you need?

;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Yoric

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 August 07 13:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Arranroots,
The will was a fantastic read (after I managed to decipher its contents). It gave a fantastic insight in to the family dynamics at the time. It also enabled me to tie up a couple loose ends.
At present work has taken over all my time, so everything regards family research is on hold. I hope that things will settle after Christmas.
Thanks for the offer, enjoy your trip.
All the best,
Yoric

P.S. I heard from the Arran Museum that the Heritage Project run by the Schools has taken off really well. Their ‘records’ are now in a book, the Museum sells it for about £15.00.

Offline mark140180

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 December 10 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi i found this site from googling my relatives.  Alexander Montgomery is my great great grandad and have even been to his grave in Lamlash and cleaned it up with my wife and my parents.  Alexander Montgomery is my dad's Grandad.  Please could you tell me how I get a copy of the will as it would be an amazing read?

Are you related to him too??

Kind Regards

Mark Hellier

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 December 10 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mark - and welcome!  :)

Alexander's will is available to purchase from Scotland's People: in the case of wills you don't need to buy credits, but pay separately.

Yorick is related: Nell and I were just trying to assist.  Hopefully he will be back to talk to you before long.

Good luck with your searching.

Kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)