Author Topic: Upper Golden Grove, New Brunswick  (Read 1023 times)

Offline EssgeeW

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Upper Golden Grove, New Brunswick
« on: Friday 18 July 14 19:38 BST (UK) »
Seeking information on a George McFarland/McFarlane/MacFarland who was apparently born in Golden Grove, New Brunswick sometime between 1840 and 1848.

In 1876, he married Hannah Gunning, who had been born in Scotland and immigrated with her parents and siblings in the 1870s.    She died between 1901 and 1911 if the census is correct.  George is apparently alive in 1911 census...here he is listed as Scottish though in all other census mentions, his heritage is listed as Irish.

It appears that his mother is named Charlotte...she is living with him in 1871 and 1881 census listings.  She is listed as dying in 1890 in St. Johns Co., New Brunswick.  No mention of her parents or late husband on the death record.  I cannot find a death record for George but assume it is between 1911 and 1921...cannot find him in the 1921 census.

I cannot find a birth record for him or his siblings as well.  In the 1871 census, George is listed as head and age 25 and his siblings--Rachael age 20, Charlotte age 15, and Samuel age 13--are in the same household.  Mother Charlotte is listed at age 55.  All indications are that they were all born in New Brunswick.  I cannot find a marriage for these children that would possibly list parents.  I have checked the marriage bonds and found George and Hannah's marriage, but no indication of parents.
(I do know her parents).

Nothing to be found in the New Brunswick Archives that I have looked at.  It would seem that the area of his birth was very rural and there are lot of delayed birth records...so maybe his never got recorded.  But I cannot find the family at all listed in 1851 or 1861...so I am not sure the census was complete either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Clues as to where to look would also prove helpful.

Thank you for your time....

Susan

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Upper Golden Grove, New Brunswick
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 July 14 04:45 BST (UK) »
Hi

Daughter Rachel born 1851 - is she the same Rachel McFarland (var),  b abt 1851 who married John BREEN, Shoemaker - probably around 1877 in NB? (Her maiden surname known from birth of children in the NB BMD - eg: Bessie Mabel, born 29 May 1888, Fairville

Rachel (Mrs Breen) is in:
1881 Census:  Lancaster,  St John, NB with John & children
1891 Census: Lancaster, St John, NB with John & children
1901 Census: New Westminster BC with John & children
1911 Census: ? BC?
1921 Census: New Westminster BC, widow with son George Irvin BREEN
1933 Cemetery: Fraser Cemetery, New Westminster, BC

BMD of BC & NB
http://www.bcarchives.gov.bc.ca/textual/governmt/vstats/v_events.htm
http://search-collections.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/Genealogy/basicSearch
http://archives.gnb.ca/Search/VISSE/default.aspx?culture=en-CA
1908 Death:  John Irvin BREEN, age 63, died 19 Feb 1908, New Westminster BC
1908 Death:   John Arthur BREEN, age 25, died 26 Oct 1908 New Westminster BC
1933 Death:  Rachel BREEN, age 83, died 4 Dec 1933, Powell River, BC
1941 Death:  George Irvin BREEN, age 64, died 24th June 1941, Powell River, BC

Grave Marker:
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=breen&GSiman=1&GScid=1995880&GRid=77865760&

The 1901 Census says Rachel (Mrs BREEN)  was born 13 January 1851 NB.  Of her 8 children in 1901, only the youngest  (age 8yrs ) was born BC. The others all born NB including a Charlotte 1885.

Maybe her BC death record name her parents, and in particular the maiden name of her mother?

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline EssgeeW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 July 14 05:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for all this work.  You are incredible!  Not sure how you found all of this, but I am grateful.

I will pursue getting a death record in the hopes of finding the names of her parents.  I will let you know if anything comes from this.

Much appreciated...have a great weekend!

Susan

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 July 14 06:31 BST (UK) »
You're most welcome, hope I have helped a little!

Have had a good look around the 1851 & 1861 Census too - but like you, unable to find any sign of them  :'(

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline EssgeeW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 July 14 14:46 BST (UK) »
HI...

I did find Rachel's death record.

It listed her father as McFarlane and her mother as Livingstone.  No first names.  It stated that both were born in Ireland.

However, Charlotte McFarlane was listed as born in New Brunswick about 1816 or so.  So is she a second wife living with George's family, or was she Charlotte Livingstone and the records got her place of birth incorrect?

At least now I am leaning towards the McFarlane surname rather then McFarland.  And the decedents are named MacFarland...need a score card!

Ah, questions but no real answers!  Ain't genealogy fun?

Thank you so much for what you sent.  It gives me hope that I will find something!!

Have a great weekend....

Susan