Author Topic: George Manning Rees  (Read 33384 times)

Offline Orielbenfro

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
    • View Profile
Re: George Manning Rees
« Reply #36 on: Friday 11 June 10 15:59 BST (UK) »
Keith
I should have added searched H'west St Mary and St Martin for the baptism of Sarah Ann Rees 1796 to 1803, but alas nil found.
Hope the jpegs of use.
Rgds
Orielbenfro
ORIEL a welsh window on a surname
ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
P.R.'s Pembs St Mary, St Michael & Monkton St Nicholas
e-books ~ Headstones & Memorials of St Mary, St Michael, Monkton St Nicholas
e-book ~ Park Street Cemetery Pembroke Dock
e-book ~ Ex Servicemen buried Llanion Cemetery
e-book ~ British Military Cemetery 1832 ~ 1948
Pembrokeshire Military Related Headstones 1714 ~ 2013
PEMBROKE Town & District (History of People and Places)
1946-2015

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 11 June 10 16:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much Orielbenfro for your excellent help.

Still without evidence that David Rees married Ann Lee c 1797 to 1805, this is the best evidence of her being called Rees and assuming it was not just another Ann Rees.

I still will go with the Census evidence for Sarah Ann Thomas, nee Rees where she claims to have been born in Gloster, Gloucestershire. Assuming Gloster is near Westbury on Trym, then it is highly possible that the Rees family had a connection there. Three of Sarah's siblings having married 3 of George Pocock's chn of Prospect Academy, St. Michael's Hill, Bristol. May be a couple of the boys went to boarding school there.

Much appreciated.

Keith
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.
Banks: farmer/curriers/shoemakers, East Ham, Bermondsey, East End

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 11 June 10 17:03 BST (UK) »
no, Gloucester isn't near Westbury on Trym. It's now part of Bristol.

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/GLS/WestburyonTrym/index.html

http://www.about-bristol.co.uk/wot-00.asp
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 12 June 10 01:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you Osprey.

I welcome your comments as I have made a misconception between Westbury, Gloucestershire and Westbury on Trym... ; and mixed my knowledge of other family members being born at Westbury Hill, near Rosemarket.

(see attached old map)

With the spelling of the birth location of Sarah Rees (Sarah A. Thomas) on the 1851 Census: HO107/2477 Milford being Gloster, Gloucestershire c.1800, maybe I should be re-trying Gloucester for her birth (c1799)

Thank you for your input again. As you can see, I am back on the Rees trail again and having success with "new relations" in Cwmafan, Wales, which is great news.

Keith Rees Aus
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 13 November 10 12:53 GMT (UK) »
I would like to acknowledge Orielbenfro for his assistance  with looking up records of the Rees and Rev James Hughes Thomas in Haverfordwest. A great helper.

Would some like to look at the above burials for St. Martins Haverfordwest. I am now starting to doubt reading down or sideways as to where 1804 and 1805 finishes starts with the records of Ann Rees aged 35 died buried Oct 14th ... and maybe her mother Mary Lee May 14th. ... and the baby David Rees opposite Mary Lee's entry.

It is also possible that the baby aged 11 months buried ....... called David Rees actually belongs to Ann and David Rees. Of the other four boys none have been called David Rees, maybe this child is his as well, and a possible cause of Ann Rees dying some months later.

A new family contact has been made, and they make mention of folklore of Miss Lee from Northampton being the wife of  George Manning Rees. It is my opinion that she is his mother, not wife. This is certainly another break through. With the help of RootChat.com Northampton members, interested people may look at their very positive options for the two Lee sisters coming from Watford, Northampton and the close connections with the names Lee and Manning.
The above death age of the mother Mary Lee at St. Martins, certainly also matches a date for her and a marriage to a John Manning Lee in the small village of Watford, Northamptonshire 21 Jul 1763. John Manning Lee's mother could have been Elizabeth Manning of Milton, Northampton.
Once again, than you to all helpers.
Keith

Offline Orielbenfro

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 13 April 12 08:26 BST (UK) »
George Manning Rees

Kirk
During a very long day of motorcycling early this week, over much of Pembrokeshire in search of ex-servicemen's headstones I had cause among many others to walk around the churchyard/cemetery (among a number of others) at Fishguard.
I'm sure it was there that I stood and looked at the headstone of a George Manning Rees, trying for the life of me to remember who was interested in him why and where or was it just an O.A.P.'s imagination trying to remember peoples interests in the county.
If you have not already obtained it and I do have to return north for more service headstones anyway do you want me to double check and obtain a jpeg of the headstone.
Rgds
Orielbenfro
ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
P.R.'s Pembs St Mary, St Michael & Monkton St Nicholas
e-books ~ Headstones & Memorials of St Mary, St Michael, Monkton St Nicholas
e-book ~ Park Street Cemetery Pembroke Dock
e-book ~ Ex Servicemen buried Llanion Cemetery
e-book ~ British Military Cemetery 1832 ~ 1948
Pembrokeshire Military Related Headstones 1714 ~ 2013
PEMBROKE Town & District (History of People and Places)
1946-2015

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 13 April 12 08:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Orielbenfro

Keith getting in before Kirk as we get messages earlier down under!

Yes, the headstone now leaning up against the back fence is the correct George Manning Rees with one of  his daughter's Margaret Hall Seddon. Margaret did have one child called Amy (Amelia) before she died. The Hall middle name would have come from her grandmother  or  Martha Llewellin's mother Mary Hall of Dale.

Thank you for the offer of the photo, we do have one or two or three or four!  Another fantastic person (like yourself) was waiting for a bus outside St. Mary's church with plenty of time to spare (like you do in the country) when she decided to go for a walk. Such a name as George Manning Rees brought back memories to her, so snapped the headstone, just in case.

Kirk may have his own version of both a story and a photo as well.  Without mentioning names, there is a lady living in Fishguard (in a converted shop left by her in-laws) who descends from George Manning Rees, and had no idea, to some recent conversations.

Once again, your thoughtfulness is much appreciated.

Regards,

Keith Rees
Aus

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 29 June 14 16:41 BST (UK) »
George Manning Rees 1802 - 1875
New development:
Marriage to Sarah Williams 1831 St. Thomas, Haverfordwest. Two known children James Lee Rees 1832 and Ann Lee Rees 1834. James Lee Rees 180 pd invested for him; Ann Lee Rees died infant.

The Will of his father in 1835 names a partner for Geo Manning Rees called Cross, and infers that two daughters were born from the partnership; who and when.
Option1: two daughters born between 1820 and 1830; and his father did not know of these children in his 1831 Will
Option 2: GMRees had an affair with Miss Cross 1834 and twin daughters born before 21 July 1835.

1837 Will of father: 400 pd to be invested for son and daughters of George Manning Rees, thus Cross girls still alive.

Any assistance to try and identify Miss Cross and her two daughters with George Manning Rees most welcome.
Keith

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 13 October 14 11:32 BST (UK) »
Orielbenfro

Just a short message to let you know that one of your earlier research works may now give me something to work on:
Wm Rees m. Mary Evans of St. Martin, Haverfordwest at St. Marys 29/10/1822.

Recent purchase of an 1831 Will of David Rees of Dredgmans Hill, Pembrokeshire indicates his intention to leave his sister Sarah Evans and housekeeper Elizabeth Lawrence 300 pds invested. First I have heard of Evans name. Sarah not in 1835 version; Elizabeth was named.
Noted that a John Evans, a baker of H/West, went bankrupt 22 Feb 1833; and a John Evans may have had something to do with Richard Rees the baker/grocer of Hill Street, Haverfordwest.

Once again, your research is most appreciated.