Author Topic: Lifton surname  (Read 11376 times)

Offline wingtuns20

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lifton surname
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 03 August 13 12:45 BST (UK) »
I have found my link now William Lifton b. 1723 d.1796 he died in Hubberston. Not sure where he was born. He was with Mary Smith and Ann Smith also. I believe they are the same person and she was b. 1733 d. 1798.
Findmypast have added a lot of new documents. There appears to be alot more Lifton families.

Offline wingtuns20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 30 August 13 03:28 BST (UK) »
anyone else with more info on William b. 1723?

Offline joshuadwilliams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 06 September 13 16:17 BST (UK) »
Hi
I'm another descendant of the Hubberston Lifton's. My connection is through Jacob 1789-1859, son of William Lifton and Martha nee Lewis (m1785).

There seems to have been a couple of William Lifton's around Hubberston at this time. I have found a William Lifton and wife Mary/Ann Smith (I think it's possible they are one and the same like you said), parents of Mary 1785, Richard 1788, William 1792, Henry 1796 and Abra 1798.

There's also another William Lifton and Mary Richards baptising children at Hubberston. Bridget 1806, Esther  1808 and Mary 1812. I don't think that this couple actually married but you can still see them living together in the 1841 census. There's a burial for a William Lifton in Hubberston in 1847 (birth about 1758). This could possibly be the William that was baptised in 1758 in Hubberston, son of William and Elizabeth. This couple also had other children baptised during the 1750s and 60s.

I still haven't been able to find the link between William (father of Jacob) and these other William's.

Josh

Offline wingtuns20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 06 September 13 21:19 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have a burial transcript for a William Lifton b. 1723 d. 1796. Its states he was a Boatman, I know jacobs father was a boatman.
This was on a family tree of a descendant of Richard Lifton before the transcript was on findmypast.
I was told that Jacob was Richards brother but I have no solid proof of this. I was informed that William and his descendants were Quaker whalers from Nantucket. But still not found any information.

There is some other burials showing a few other of the Lifton families.
There was an Ann Smith b. 1733 d. 1798 said she was wife of William Lifton labourer so it must be the same family? I think Mary and Ann were the same persons?
I don't know where William was born.
Only issue is the children born later to Ann William was dead by 1796...!?
I found a William Lifton b. 1740 up north.
I will have to check to see if Ann died giving birth, but she would to of given birth at 63?

Mark,

too note - Wm Lifton b.1758 had brothers and sisters named Robert, Henry, Richard, Ben & Ann.

Offline Rowley

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 06 September 13 21:38 BST (UK) »
Hi, Does anyone interested in the Lifton Families, have a John Lifton Davies b 1852 in Steynton. Pembrokeshire, I am trying to find the marriage of his daughter Gladys Mary Davies b 17 July 1891, John Lifton Davies was also a shipwright at Pembroke Dock.
Best wishes Rowley
Davey in Upper Machen, Bedwas, Cascade Glam
Owen Merthyr,Gelligaer area.
Thomas Brecon and Merthyr Tydfil.
Williams,Llangynwyd, Pengam Mon and Glam.
Bevan Mynyddislwyn Pengam and Gelligaer area.
Ellery and Trotman Wooton under Edge,Bristol and South Wales

Offline joshuadwilliams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 06 September 13 22:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark,
I have seen that burial of William in 1796. The only problem I have with that is that William would have been in his sixties by the time Jacob was born, so I'm not sure if that burial burial belongs to the father of Jacob.

I've only been able to find 2 other children of William and Martha nee Lewis myself, that is James 1787 and Elizabeth 1791. The only Richard I have found so far, is one baptised in 1788 to William and Mary Smith. Yes, I've also been informed about the Quaker connection too from a relative.

I think it's possible that Ann and Mary could have been the same person, unless Mary died and then William married a Ann Smith. Yes, the age does seem a little old in my opinion, so perhaps its a generation before?
What is the William Lifton you have found up north?

@Dudley, I haven't yet come across the names you've mentioned, but perhaps someone else may have done so.

Josh

Offline wingtuns20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 06 September 13 22:50 BST (UK) »
The one I found was

Name:    Willm Lifton
Baptism:    2 May 1740 - Epsom, St Martin, Surrey, England
Vital:    2 May 1740 - Epsom, St Martin
But reading, could be Liffen?

I did find a Wm Selton b. 1723 looks like Lifton born/baptised in Lancashire area to a John.
I think John was a Quaker?

For William baptised 1758 to Wm and Elizabeth there were in Hubberston also.

Ann baptised 1754
Elizabeth baptised 1756 (earlier spelt Ellezebeth)
Richard baptised 1760
Henry baptised 1762
Benjamin baptised 1766
Robert baptised 1768

Henry baptised 1762

On BMD website when you search for Lifton there are RG6 Quaker records in the 1600s.

This is most likely not linked but I did find a Mary Smith who married a William Liston in Bristol in 1748!?
In 1720 there was a William Liston whom married an Elizabeth like to the children above, but all probably a coincidence.
However there appears to be a Lifton in bristol in the 1600s.
There was a chap on here who had a book saying the Liftons were Quakers who came over.
I found on some website Privateers-Bucaneers a Richard Lifton over there in the mid 1600s u/k if it is linked.

Someone whom was a desendant of my grandfathers brother on mundia.com (ancestry tree) wrote that William Lifton b.1723 was our link. That was before the record was around and the chap who wrote it passed away in 2012. My nan had a bible somewhere where all the Lifton descendants were wrote down. It was said that the Arundel family were written in it.
I don't know where it is at the moment!

There is on a few other trees a George R Lifton b. 1743 I dont know where that came from!?
I never seen any records.

Offline wingtuns20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 06 September 13 23:23 BST (UK) »
In relation to my lancashire comment this is interesting.....

Willm: Lifton

England Deaths and Burials, 1538-1991

spouse:Elizabeth

NameElizabeth
    GenderFemale
    Burial Date28 Sep 1729
    Burial PlacePlumpton-Wood, Lancashire, England
    Death Date
    Death Place
    Birthplace
    Occupation
    Race
    Marital StatusMarried
    Spouse's NameWillm: Lifton
    Father's Name
    Father's Birthplace
    Mother's Name
    Mother's Birthplace
    Indexing Project (Batch) NumberI04737-5
    System OriginEngland-EASy
    GS Film number1502471
    Reference ID

Offline joshuadwilliams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 10 September 13 12:19 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Sorry for the delay!
Very interesting regarding that information. I've saved it all to my records as you never know. I've been trying to connect the Lifton families of Hubberston and the area. However it's proving very tricky to do so. There's so many names that have been re-used throughout the generations which makes it complicated.

And wouldn't that Bible be brilliant to look at! I've never seen a George R Lifton record anywhere myself either. I wonder where that came from?!