Author Topic: look up please-Immigration to Australia -Burt  (Read 1543 times)

Offline Gmar

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
look up please-Immigration to Australia -Burt
« on: Wednesday 29 August 12 07:59 BST (UK) »
I would like some help finding out my relations movements to New South Wales
[1] Mary Ann JONES[Burt] and her husband John Charles JONES
Born born Feb 18 1893 in Edinburgh to John Burt and Janet Burt[Whytock}.She died in Sydney in 1962
[2]Elizabeth [Tibby] Samuel McDONALD[Burt] born 1888 in Edinburgh same parents as [1] She died 1967 . Her husband Thomas Alexander McDonald could be MacDonald

I have looked at so many ships list and passenger list that I'm crosseyed. I have info on the 2 uncles who went to South Africa and have just tracked down another uncle who went to Canada. Hopefully someone can help me Thank you Gmar
Burt Hannon Droney Smith Collis Berry

Offline Unė kthimi i papenduar

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: look up please-Immigration to Australia -Burt
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 September 12 16:33 BST (UK) »
Not the immigration list but a year after which they will have sailed.    Jones marriage was 1913 with the witness Elizabeth and  Thomas,  who married in 1914.

Offline Gmar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 September 12 03:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that information but am really trying to find out when they left scotland to come to Australia. Thanks again

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 September 12 03:51 BST (UK) »
Hi

Given that the surnames are quite common and passenger lists often have little information it would help to narrow down when they might have travelled. In reply #1 Unė kthimi i papenduar has dated the marriages so it would be after those dates. Do you know if they had children? If so, where were they born?

Andy

Offline Gmar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 September 12 05:20 BST (UK) »
Right Andy Thank you for the offer to help me.I am a bit ashamed that I hardly remember anything about my Grandmothers brothers and sisters
Their mother died  22 May 1911 and father listed as having died 1914 or 1924 Hard to make out date
Thomas left for South Africa 1910, Robert 1912,
One sister Jean Weston came out with my mother arriving 28/2/1919 on Osterley. There is no mention of Jeans husband.
Joe arrived 1922 and married very soon after arrival to Canadian lady.
3 stayed in Scotland and died there
My gran came out in 1913 with Tom aged 6 Mabels name crossed out.[Chasing hubby]
Thomas & Elizabeth who married in 1914 in Scotland were witnesses at Margarets 2nd wedding in Sydney in June 1913
Mary & John known as Charlie-I know little.They did have a son who went into local council I think.It is such a mess. This is a good example of doing your family tree young and not waiting until one is in their seventies. Thanking you in anticipation

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "To live in hearts we leave behind, Is not to die"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 October 12 01:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Gmar,

Have you obtained the Australian death certificates/printouts in respect of your relatives? These may give an indication as to the length of time lived in Australia. You could first check with BDM in the State(s) concerned. If this information is provided, it could help narrow down the period of your search for time of arrival.

Minniehaha.  :)
HAMMOND, Cainham/Caynham, Shropshire, U.K. Otago-NZ.
GALBRAITH, Ireland, Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Kensington-London, U.K.
GRANT, Sct., Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Vancouver, Canada.
GLASS, Aberdeenshire, Otago-NZ.
CAIRNEY/CARNEY/KEARNEY/Ireland, Airdrie, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
O'BRIEN Mary Ann, Limerick, Otago-NZ.
NICOL(L) James, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
SCOTT Thomas, Shetland, Otago-NZ.
MCHARDY/MCHARDIE Euphemia, Scotland, Otago-NZ.

Offline BGAM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 08:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Gmar
I have recently read your post of Sat 8 Sept 2012 with interest. I am the granddaughter of Thomas Burt b 1880 who you said in your post went to South Africa in 1910. I know his brother Robert went and lived in South Africa, but Thomas lived in Western Australia, Australia.

I have over the last couple of years started my family tree and have been unable to find any shipping record of Thomas and his wife Christina coming to Perth, Western Australia, although I know he arrived in Perth sometime between late July 1910 and early August 1910.

Do you have the name of the ship he went to South Africa on, and/or the date he left Scotland. I know he went via France as I have an article which Thomas wrote stating that fact.

Any help you can give me would be very much appreciated.