Author Topic: daniel and Alexander Nicholson  (Read 1014 times)

Offline kevynne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
daniel and Alexander Nicholson
« on: Sunday 09 March 14 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Daniel and Nicholson  owned two Grocer shops in Edinburgh from c 1820 , alexanders shop was in union street. I am wanting to find old parish registers for Edinburgh that could show births and parents names for these brothers. possible births could be Daniel 1791 and Alexander 1797 , could anybody tell me if I have correct dates please. Alexander goes from Edinburgh directories around 1830 , he was married at south leith in 1820. Daniel possibly married c1812.

Thank you,
Kevynne

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: daniel and Alexander Nicholson
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 March 14 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi ,

Have you found Daniel on the 1841/1851 Census ?

The one I have found in 1841 was a shop porter aged 50 , married to a Janet(McEwan ?)
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XY3V-6Q2

By 1851 Daniel Nicolson aged 59 , born Logierait Perth(shire), warehouse porter , appears to have remarried another Janet(Hutchison?)
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XYMJ-VL5

Could that be the Daniel you are looking for ?

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline kevynne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 March 14 04:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi
 Thank you for your quick reply to my question. This most likely is my Daniel thank you. I have a possible birth for him in 1791 at Greenside Edinburgh. From looking through the Edinburgh directorys I think that Alexander died c 1830-32. On the 1841 census his wife Mary was a widow. I have a possible birth for him at 1797 St.Andrew , Edinburgh. Would like to find if these to guys were born to the same parents.

Thanks .
Kevynne

Offline kevynne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 July 14 08:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you for help about Daniel Nicholson.
I have now found that he sailed to Australia in 1840 after marrying Janet Wilkie in Edinburgh.

Kevynne