Author Topic: Scots leaving for South Africa  (Read 7128 times)

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Scots leaving for South Africa
« on: Wednesday 03 September 14 00:42 BST (UK) »
I am trying to research a family called Bishop who I believe left somewhere in Scotland for South Africa.   I don't have a first name.  The family had a son- James McKay Bishop  in Cape Colony, South Africa in 1841.   (James' son, Alfred John Bishop was a miner b. 1864 - a Scottish colonial)
Would anyone know of a list of names of those who left Scotland for South Africa in probably the 1830-1840's.
Unfortunately James' Death Notice does not have his parents names.  Thank you

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Scots leaving for South Africa
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 08:34 BST (UK) »
There's an army birth for a James McK. Bishop in 1841 in St Helena. 91st Regiment. volume 182, page 9.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 09:11 BST (UK) »
Acting Sgt Major John Bishop of 91st regiment was in St Helena from June 1839 to October 1842. Discharged to pension 1852, intending to reside in the Cape of Good Hope. By trade a marble cutter, born North Leith circa 1809.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 09:33 BST (UK) »
With the details provided by ShaunJ, there is a possible birth & christening entry showing in 1809 here https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTTW-HBM

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 13:49 BST (UK) »
Hi ShaunJ.  Thank you so very much for your reply and information.  I think this might be the man I have been searching for a very long time.  May I ask where you found the army birth listed?  You have shown that  James McKay Bishop  was born in St. Helena in 1841.  I have him listed as being born in the Cape Colony 1841.  Do you know -- was this a common way of registering a birth. (ie.. born whilst Dad in army in St.Helena and later registered in Cape Colony??
You also mentioned that Sgt. Major John Bishop being in St. Helena from June 1839 to Oct. 1842.  Do you know where he was from 1842 until his discharge to pension in 1852?
Also does anyone know why the 91st regiment was in St. Helena?   Once again thank you so very much.  You have made my day!  Cheers from Australia

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 13:53 BST (UK) »
Dear Monica,  thank you for your reply and the information you provided regarding John Bishop.  I think this must be the man I have been searching for a very long time.  Now that I have James McKay Bishops father's name I can press on in my research in Scotland.  I had always hoped that the family may have come from Scotland!?!?  I am very excited with this information. Thank you so much. Cheers from Australia

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 14:12 BST (UK) »
His army papers how that he served 3 year 4 months in St Helena - this would have been garrison duty on what was then a very important island possession on the long sea route from the UK to the East Indies.

He also served 9 years 3 months in the Cape of Good Hope and this would have been after St Helena. It is recorded that he served in the Kaffir Wars  of 1846 and 1850-51-52.

You say you have him listed as born in Cape Colony but where did that information come from?

The 1841 army birth is from GRO Regimental Births which is searchable on FindMyPast and TheGenealogist. Also on familyrelatives.com.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 14:20 BST (UK) »
Thinking about where to look for a marriage. The main body of the 91st had been in St Helena for some time before John Bishop was posted there in 1839, and it is likely that he was with the regimental depot in Dundee before that. 

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 14:41 BST (UK) »
John Bishop 59 "late Sergeant Major 91 Regiment" is in the 1871 census in Burton Bradstock Dorset with a wife Ann 65 from Whitchurch Dorset.

Ancestry has an online tree which mentions a previous wife Catherine Shanon and two children (George 1837 and Elizabeth 1845) but no James McKay