Author Topic: Calling all Cork Barrys  (Read 16970 times)

Offline Wsull99

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Calling all Cork Barrys
« Reply #18 on: Monday 20 February 12 17:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have Barry's in my Family -- My Great Grandmother was named Julia Barry she Married Timothy Sullivan on 17 Feb 1859 in Milford County Cork. My Great Grandfathers family was from southwest Limerick, Broadford and he worked at the Springfield Castle. According to my Grandmother Julia's mother's name was Ellen. Julia and Timothy has 7 children and many of their Godparents were named Barry. Maybe we are connected what do you think ?

Bill

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • "Family ~ link to our past, bridge to our future"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 21 February 12 01:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi there :)

A relationship possible, but Cork was a centre for Barrys, so I think that it would be quite difficult to find a definite link.

The Barrys, whom we know of, lived in Queenstown and then Cardiff.

Do these towns ring any bells for you? :)
Worcs / Glos: Neal Neale Jeynes Jeens Geans Harris Roper Ropier Colley Dyer Heeks Bayzand Hampton Bishop Cole Elton Littlehales McGowan
Glamorgam: Hampton Thornton Svombo Swambo Swanbo Keefe O Keefe Shanahan Shannon Doyle Maldoon Muldoon Davies Llewellyn Jones
Birmingham: Neale Sarjant Cole Hiley Berridge Tirebuck

Offline Aindreasdebarra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 01 April 12 03:08 BST (UK) »
My name is Andrew Barry and I'm from cork :)
I don't know that much about my family and i was wondering if you have come across James Barry in your research. I know he was married to Hannah (Cant find her maiden name) and had 6 children one of whom was James Walter Barry who was my grandads dad. They all lived on thomas street in queenstown. I think James was born in 1867

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 01 April 12 10:43 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat  :)

...James Barry in your research. I know he was married to Hannah (Cant find her maiden name) and had 6 children one of whom was James Walter Barry who was my grandads dad. They all lived on thomas street in queenstown. I think James was born in 1867

Might be your family in 1901 census-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Cork/Queenstown_Urban/Harbour_Hill/1163194
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Cork/Queenstown_No__2_Urban/Thomas_Street/406493
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 01 April 12 12:44 BST (UK) »
My name is Andrew Barry and I'm from cork :)
I don't know that much about my family ..... They all lived on thomas street in queenstown. I think James was born in 1867
Hi Andrew.
Since your Barrys actually lived in Queenstown, then there must be a possibility that we re related :)
But, with so many Barrys in the area, it is hard to tell.

My own Barrys moved to South Wales in the mid 1850as These were Ellen Barry (who married Nicholas Svombo / Swambo / Svombos) and her sister, Julia. I don't know what happened to their parents.
Worcs / Glos: Neal Neale Jeynes Jeens Geans Harris Roper Ropier Colley Dyer Heeks Bayzand Hampton Bishop Cole Elton Littlehales McGowan
Glamorgam: Hampton Thornton Svombo Swambo Swanbo Keefe O Keefe Shanahan Shannon Doyle Maldoon Muldoon Davies Llewellyn Jones

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 01 April 12 12:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Aghadowey

I'll look into those records, myself. They could ~ just possibly ~ be cousins :)

Offline Aindreasdebarra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 01 April 12 14:39 BST (UK) »
I still live in cork so I'm gonna try find out more from my dad and some of my family in cobh:) I'll let you know if I find anything interesting!

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 01 April 12 18:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrew :)

That would be really interesting!

I can't help but think that Ellen and Julia must have had more relatives in Queenstown / Cobh.

Currently, these are the ones we know of ~ or, in the case of the parents, who we believe to be connected:

Ellen Barry c1837 (-1912)
Julia Barry c1840

Both baptised in Queenstown

Ellen + Julia's parents:
Garret Barry
Catherine, nee Connell

Married in Queenstown / Cobh on 12th October 1831

Offline BarradeR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 10 May 12 03:29 BST (UK) »
Andrew Barry, re your query regarding James Barry and family.
My Grandfather was James and his wife was Hannah neé McCarthy.
They had only one son (James Walter), and they did live in Thomas Street at some stage. He (JW) had nine children, seven of whom reached maturity and also had children. None of these were called Andrew. Therefore I do not think we are the family you are seeking. However, there was another James Barry who also lived in Thomas Street, with a large family. I don't think that there is any relationship with us, and I do not know what happened to them. The age profile of that James does not fit with the information you posted. Is it possible your information is wrong?
Hope you connect,
Le dea mhéin,
BarradeR.