Author Topic: Albert Gumma b1883 in the USA  (Read 8466 times)

Offline NormanE

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Albert Gumma b1883 in the USA
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 03 August 14 15:46 BST (UK) »
Wow everybody, so much help from so many people. A very sincere thank you.

Dare I ask. Is The Leroy mentioned in the UK 1901 census apparent in the US records

Regards
Norman Elkins

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 08 August 14 13:39 BST (UK) »
A petition for naturalization for Annie Gumma under section 4 of the act of September 1922 ? Don't quite understand that she was born In Ishpeming Michigan 20 November 1884 - William was born In Glamorgan 2 October 1976
Examination took place 7 May 1940

Sandra

I think this explains that -

http://www.archives.gov/publications/prologue/1998/summer/women-and-naturalization-1.html

"Under the act of March 2, 1907, all women acquired their husband's nationality upon any marriage occurring after that date. This changed nothing for immigrant women, but U.S.-born citizen women could now lose their citizenship by any marriage to any alien."

"Happily, Congress was at work and on September 22, 1922, passed the Married Women's Act, also known as the Cable Act. This 1922 law finally gave each woman a nationality of her own. No marriage since that date has granted U.S. citizenship to any alien woman nor taken it from any U.S.-born women who married an alien eligible to naturalization."

Offline mike lampshire

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 18 October 14 17:03 BST (UK) »
abert gumma was my grandfather he married mildred northey who I believe was widowed they had fou regards mike lampshirer children Eileen albert Ronald and Sylvia my mother they moved from cornwall to the forest of dean where we live know regards mike lampshire