Author Topic: Crawford/Lindsay family  (Read 21958 times)

Offline husulo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Crawford/Lindsay family
« Reply #18 on: Friday 13 August 10 21:59 BST (UK) »
I found this death announcement for Sarah J. (Crawford) McDowell in old papers
Sincerely Husulo
Some words are misspelled

As I read Kingskerwell entry he shows Sarah Jane Crawford being born April 21 1871,this very well could be,I am sure this entry was my Grandmother.
 The article which I posted claiming birth from a later date was derived from a paper found in mothers papers.
Thank you Kingskerwell.

Milton W Irwin aka Husulo

Offline husulo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 13 August 10 22:44 BST (UK) »
The letter from R.G. Connell & Son (solicitors) to my Mother Mae A Estep concerning estate of Martha A Crawford.decd.

Offline husulo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 08 March 11 01:24 GMT (UK) »
New information My great Grandmother and Great Grandfather Thomas Crawford and Catherine Henry were married in Drumachose Presbyterian Church,Limavady 21st April 1869 My grandmother Sarah J Crawford (McDowell) was born 1871
she had a brother Hugh born 1873 and great Aunt Martha Ann Crawford was born 1875,I had previously provided death notices for Catherine Crawford and Sarah Jane Crawford (McDowell) I do have The Last Will and testament for Martha Ann Crawford.
Milt Irwin (Husulo)

Offline aktiva

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 09 February 13 16:16 GMT (UK) »
My ancestor: THOMAS CRAWFORD. b. 1809 was from Limavady: he said he was a METHODIST farmer.......married to Mary Martin.......migrated to Canada in 1840

Now in 1831 we find a THOMAS Crawford as head of household: living in Aghanloo on the Drumaderry homestead/townland........my fellow would be age 22 by then: so this could be him........

Certainly by 1853: there is no longer a Thomas Crawford as a head of household in the region.

What we do have by then is:

ROBERT: living exactly on the DRUMADERRY homestad
and
WILLIAM: living nearby on the BALLYHANNA homestead

This William had a son William b. 1846 who married Rachel LIndsey (say?)

So we would have to assume this WILLIAM SENIOR was born no sooner than 1825.......

and
as this Robert is not listed as head of household in 1831: he must have been too young.......

and by 1853: either the earlier Thomas was my guy: or if not and this Thomas was an elder: he wasnt alive or still there any longer.....

So from this we can also assume Robert was born also in the region of 1820-5

Could all three: my THOMAS, ROBERT AND WILLIAM be brothers?

and of course we add in a Thomas b. 1840s.......after my guy was already gone.......

he must be the son of one of these two left: Robert or William

-------------

The only other hint we have is the 1740 in Limavady is listed only a Mrs Crawford........widow?

We are missing the men born 1780-1790 who could be the fathers of these men.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 09 February 13 16:52 GMT (UK) »
My ancestor: THOMAS CRAWFORD. b. 1809 was from Limavady: he said he was a METHODIST farmer.......married to Mary Martin.......migrated to Canada in 1840
Was it in Canada he said he was Methodist? some but not many Methodists in Limavady area- perhaps became one after arrival in Canada.

ROBERT: living exactly on the DRUMADERRY homestad and WILLIAM: living nearby on the BALLYHANNA homestead
These are the name of the townland not their particular property.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aktiva

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 09 February 13 17:03 GMT (UK) »
No when he boarded the ship he registered himself as a METHODIST...there is a fairly long history of Crawford Methodists.......it was pretty radical at the time ........

I was reading a complete history of Keenaught Barony and the various Parishes.......followed by the Townlands..........it said that a Townland was not a "town" at all........but basically a small plot of land with usually just one house on it: enough to sustain one family ..each had a unique name...Over time they were subdivided into smaller and smaller sections for various sons.......finally becoming too small to sustain a family at all. 

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 09 February 13 17:14 GMT (UK) »
I was reading a complete history of Keenaught Barony and the various Parishes.......followed by the Townlands..........it said that a Townland was not a "town" at all........but basically a small plot of land with usually just one house on it: enough to sustain one family ..each had a unique name...Over time they were subdivided into smaller and smaller sections for various sons.......finally becoming too small to sustain a family at all. 
No, a townland is a groups of farms and houses. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Townland
http://www.ancestryireland.com/database.php?filename=townlands

Offline aktiva

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 09 February 13 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Well fair enough: suffice it to say: its one very small aggregate......either one family or a few

I don't think any of these Crawfords owned any of these but were Cottiers/Cotters: just living/working on the properties.

Would that seem reasonable?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 09 February 13 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Very few landowners in Ireland at that period. In fact, it was only late 1800s that tenants started being given option to buy their farms.