Author Topic: Do you have any Brain ancestors from Ferry Hill area??  (Read 5849 times)

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Do you have any Brain ancestors from Ferry Hill area??
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 29 May 07 14:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Gerryfitz,

Many thanks for the website! Will try it and pray they will not charge me as we are on another side of pond.

I have asked my auntie to look at the marriage certificate and death certificate so I can try the Church for her. I need to know what name of the church before I can make an enquiry for her.

I want to try every avenue to find any further information on my auntie's family based on scant information she had gotten from her mum.

Many thanks,

Tees

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 29 May 07 17:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Gerryfitz and others!

Finally, I got the information I have been waiting for from my auntie so here it is:

Isabella Brain(e) died on June 24, 1919 in Bowburne, Cochoe.  Her husband Arthur Braine was the informant.

They were married on July 25 1914 in St Paul's Church in Cassop Quarryington, Durham. Both their fathers were named Benjamin. Braine and Seymour Hepple. Benjamin Braine was deceased at time of marriage. Braines lived at 6 Main St Ferryhill. And Hepples at 19 Curham Rd. Bowburn. There is a john Braine who was listed on the marriage certificate. Probably a sibling or relative. My mom's birth was registered in Sedgefield and lived at the same Main St address.

Any helpful hints this time?

Thanks!

Tees

Offline Jeffo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 24 October 14 21:03 BST (UK) »
My Fathers name was Stanley Brain. He lived in the Ferryhill area before the war. His father's name was Arthur Brain who probably died in the early 50s.

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 24 October 14 21:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Jeffo!

It was a lovely surprise to hear from a Brain relative! I regret, with a heavy heart, to inform you that your cousin Maureen had passed on December 11, 2013 in NY, USA. We tried to write a letter to you several years ago but never got a reply. Perhaps the address we wrote to, you were no longer living there.

Nevertheless, I will put you in touch with your niece who lives in England along with another relative.

We were looking for further information on Arthur Brain(e) and his spouses. That's why we tried to write to you. I believe I have Arthur Brain(e)'s death certificate--if not, your niece might have it as I sent her the loads of information.

I believe I may have some documents related to your Brain(e) ancestry. I will look for them.

Many, many thanks for replying to this post. I am delighted that we were correct that Maureen did have cousins and that her uncle was still alive after the Second World War. You see, she was originally told that he died in the Second World War by her mother.

I will PM you the contact information on your English niece and Maureen's daughter in NY.

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 24 October 14 21:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Jeffo,

I had PM you and put you in touch with your second cousin, Ms. Sue Whelan. I would rather that your cousin explains and shares about the Brain(e) ancestry and she has the file with a lot of the documents which I sent her ages ago.

I will look for the contact information on Maureen's daughter. I believe your cousin probably has it.

I sincerely wish you all the best in your genealogy! I would be happy to assist you if I can.

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 24 October 14 21:51 BST (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=236163.0

Hi Jeffo,

Please check the post on your aunt Gwennie Brain. She is your Father's sister.

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 24 October 14 22:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Jeffo,

Luckily, I still have an e-mail address and I e-mailed your cousin. I asked her to get in touch with you via PM on Rootschat.

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 25 October 14 10:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Jeffo,

Can you make at least three replies or posts before you could PM (Personal Messaging)? A certain relative would like to get in touch with you.

I just replied to her that I do not have your e-mail address. She would like to have your e-mail address.

The best way to go about it is to make at least three replies or posts--you can do this by replying to this post and another post I put up the link here.

I think you will be able to get in touch with your relative after the two replies to the posts. I already put her in touch with you via PM.

Many thanks for your understanding and kind co-operation. If you need any help with PM and how to go about it, please do not hesitate to ask for my help or someone here on Rootschat would be happy to assist you. Rootschat folks here are brilliant and very helpful!

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline Jeffo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 25 October 14 14:46 BST (UK) »
My Grandfather, Arthur Brain must have remarried or cohabited with a lady I knew as my Grandmother. They lived in Bonham Road, Dagenham, Essex until his death in about 1955.  My Grandmother died earlier.
My Father Stanley Brain married a Grace Frost, my mother in about 1945, the year of my birth. After leaving the Signals Regiment in the army he worked for a company called Briggs Motor Bodies in Dagenham which was taken over by The Ford Motor Company.
Following my Mother's death in 1978 he remarried and temporarily moved to Wakefield before returning to Polegate in East Sussex where he died in about 1993. I would be able to be more concise with my timings once I have discussed this with my younger sister and brother.