Author Topic: Stephenson/Stephinson Satley Hexham  (Read 9882 times)

Offline Rewcastle

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Stephenson/Stephinson Satley Hexham
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 20 April 08 22:11 BST (UK) »
There are two villages locally.
 One is called Slaley, which is just outside Hexham in Northumberland. It is situated to the western side of Healey and on what is known as the back road from  Castleside to Hexham.
The other is Satley which is south of Castleside.
People often get mixed up between Slaley and Satley, even some local people.

Healey and Healeyfield.
In 1173/4 Alan de Chilton received the manor of Healey from the Bishop of Durham in return for his lands at Cornforth, Co. Durham. In the latin manuscripts it describes the rivers which were the boundaries of the manor, later on Healey was enlarged and slipped roughly 10 miles north, up one side of the hill and then down the other side of the hill towards Corbridge to it's present position.

The manor of Healey was later split into two, that of Healey which has also been known as Temple Healey in Northumberland on the way to Corbridge and the other being known as South Healey, which later became known as Healeyfield, this is located to the western side of Castleside in Co. Durham.

The parishes.
Bywell St Peter parish came as far as where the Derwent reservoir is now located or at least the farm which adjoins the reservoir, the river was probably the boundary, to South of this was Muggleswick Parish. to the south eastern side was the parish of Shotley (known as Shotley Bridge)

The registers that you would need to check are Castleside from 1864 onwards. before that, the churches people went to from that area, were: Muggleswick, Shotley, Satley and Lanchester, sometimes they went to Edmundbyres and Blanchland, also from 1642 onwards Rowley Baptist church in Rowley which adjoins Castleside to the south.

Stephenson's from Satley had a shop in Castleside in the 1800's, there are several different branches of Robsons in the area and there was a William Charlton who had Whitehall farm just to the south west of Castleside in the late 1700's. Whitehall which was in South Healey, now Healeyfield used to belong to the descendants of Alan de Chilton.

I am doing a project on the whole of the area at the moment, going back to when the Bishop of Durham first started getting rid of what was known as the waste lands in the 1100's.

Rewcastle.

Offline sam-ann

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 21 April 08 12:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you rewcastle, ehat intersting information. I can understand there being confusion with the two villages of slaley and Satley, sounding much the same, my elizabeth however was born at Satley.
I am amazed to think that the Derwent  Reservoir is where the parish of St peter used to come, many times i have visited the reservoir.. such a beautiful area.
I have taken down ALL the parish registers details that you have kindly given me, im sure they will hold some of my families in those areas.
now, i was more than interested to learn of the Stephenson's from Satley who had a shop in Castleside in the 1800s, that is something i would like to try and learn more about as my Elizabeth was born at Satley..hopefully some connection there, also the William Charleton who had Whitehall Farm... my Elizabeth married a William Charleton. The earliest Wm Charleton i have was born late 1700s ( dont have an exact DOB) at Hamsterly.. would be nice if i could connect somwhere along the lines with my Wm Charleton to the one who had the farm...thank you again for the amazing information which has given me lots to think about!

Regards
Sam-Ann

Offline JosiahS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 21 April 08 15:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Sam-An

William Charlton was baptised in 1784 in Hamsterley.

Baptism from the IGI is 11 Apr 1784 with parents William C and Margaret.

Ashley
DU: Jones, Miller, Laverick, Orwin, Burn, Finlay, Robson, Robinson, Jobling, Fenwick, Spoor, Saunders, Billingsley, Appleby
NB: Pickard, Gilchrist, Curry, Heron, Thompson, Bell, Henderson, Aynsley
CU: Bell, Armstrong, Parker
SY: Saunders, Bartlett, Ellis
SX: Bartlett, Cager
BK: Saunders
NY: Miller (Swaledale), Raw
ALL CENSUS INFORMATION CONTAINED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT FROM www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline peter brownlee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 21 April 08 17:32 BST (UK) »
There is a marriage for William Charlton and Elizabeth Stephenson, allowing for variant spellings, on the Joiner Marriage Data base for Durham at about the right date of 1830, but you would have to pay to get further details. Not much, but Charlton and Stephenson are common names and Durham a wide area so it is a slight gamble. Usworth parish records are in the Durham Record Office. A marriage entry should show if Elizabeth was resident in the parish at the time of marriage. Muggleswick parish records only start in 1755 unfortunately.

Offline JosiahS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 21 April 08 17:57 BST (UK) »
William Charlton married Elizabeth Stevenson at Washington Holy Trinity 26 Jan 1833

From the George Bell Index

Ashley
DU: Jones, Miller, Laverick, Orwin, Burn, Finlay, Robson, Robinson, Jobling, Fenwick, Spoor, Saunders, Billingsley, Appleby
NB: Pickard, Gilchrist, Curry, Heron, Thompson, Bell, Henderson, Aynsley
CU: Bell, Armstrong, Parker
SY: Saunders, Bartlett, Ellis
SX: Bartlett, Cager
BK: Saunders
NY: Miller (Swaledale), Raw
ALL CENSUS INFORMATION CONTAINED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT FROM www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sam-ann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 22 April 08 09:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Ashley, thank you very much for the Hamsterley bap of William Charleton which provided another generation of William Charleton and Margaret, somewhere along the line i can remember the names of William and Margaret being mentioned by older family members who are no longer alive...your brilliant. Indeed William did marry Elizabeth 26 Jan 1833 at Washington.

thank you Ashley/Peter for your help.

Regards
Sam-Ann

Offline axial1680

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 20 October 14 20:21 BST (UK) »
I have just joined this site and the Joshua you mention is my 4xgt grandfather. I have loads of info going right back to the 1600s. I am descended from Michael, Elizabeth's brother.

Offline axial1680

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 23 October 14 12:02 BST (UK) »
There are two villages locally.
 One is called Slaley, which is just outside Hexham in Northumberland. It is situated to the western side of Healey and on what is known as the back road from  Castleside to Hexham.
The other is Satley which is south of Castleside.
People often get mixed up between Slaley and Satley, even some local people.

Healey and Healeyfield.
In 1173/4 Alan de Chilton received the manor of Healey from the Bishop of Durham in return for his lands at Cornforth, Co. Durham. In the latin manuscripts it describes the rivers which were the boundaries of the manor, later on Healey was enlarged and slipped roughly 10 miles north, up one side of the hill and then down the other side of the hill towards Corbridge to it's present position.

The manor of Healey was later split into two, that of Healey which has also been known as Temple Healey in Northumberland on the way to Corbridge and the other being known as South Healey, which later became known as Healeyfield, this is located to the western side of Castleside in Co. Durham.

The parishes.
Bywell St Peter parish came as far as where the Derwent reservoir is now located or at least the farm which adjoins the reservoir, the river was probably the boundary, to South of this was Muggleswick Parish. to the south eastern side was the parish of Shotley (known as Shotley Bridge)

The registers that you would need to check are Castleside from 1864 onwards. before that, the churches people went to from that area, were: Muggleswick, Shotley, Satley and Lanchester, sometimes they went to Edmundbyres and Blanchland, also from 1642 onwards Rowley Baptist church in Rowley which adjoins Castleside to the south.

Stephenson's from Satley had a shop in Castleside in the 1800's, there are several different branches of Robsons in the area and there was a William Charlton who had Whitehall farm just to the south west of Castleside in the late 1700's. Whitehall which was in South Healey, now Healeyfield used to belong to the descendants of Alan de Chilton.

I am doing a project on the whole of the area at the moment, going back to when the Bishop of Durham first started getting rid of what was known as the waste lands in the 1100's.

Rewcastle.

Rewcastle, you are 100% correct in what you have said, I managed to find my Stevenson branch going further back than Joshua at these parishes you mention, in those days a trip to Morpeth and local knowledge solved it it wasn't helped by them crossing the Derwent several times in the past. I am wondering when in the 1800s the Stevensons had the shop in Satley? Joshua,s grandson and my 2xgt Grandfather was a Blacksmith at Staley in the1870s and also owned some property which was sold in 1912 known as Stevensons buildings. Or was this shop from the earlier branch of the family?
Thanks,
Paul Stevenson