Author Topic: World War One Victims  (Read 4537 times)

Offline aangeleyes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: World War One Victims
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 14 October 14 23:53 BST (UK) »
Hi there its lovely to hear from you and thanks for getting back to me 😊 I thought we were related when I read you posts and I would love to help you in anyway I can, there is still a lot of us Shillaws up this way, although sadly we have lost a few over the last few years including my dad Thomas and his younger sister Elizabeth, its strange how all the names keep getting handed down thorough the generations too lol 😁.... Hope to hear from you soon....take care..... PS I heard that in the late 1700's our name was a middle name that was given to a male child as a surname ( not sure how far true it is ) but was told this when I was trying to find the Shillaw coat of arms and was told this is why we didn't have one 😐.

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: World War One Victims
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 18 October 14 21:44 BST (UK) »
Hello Ryhopelad
As mentioned on p.m. here is the gentleman I was talking about - I for the moment do not  know the outcome.

DURHAM LIGHT INFANTRY
Please where can I find out more ? Suz kindly found this for me and it appears to fit with Duncan Wilson who would have been ( as far as I can see) the only nephew of John Tillman ( the Architect)
Duncan being the only son of Louisa( John's baby sister) and the Rev Wilson.

There is a medal card on A******y for him

Harold Gillies Plastic Surgery Archives from WW1 transcripts
Duncan Wilson
age 32
Private
no 12410
Durham Light Infantry11 th Bat
Wounded 22/08/1917
British
Gun shot wound face left chin & neck, fractured mandible
Military Armed Forces & Conflict WW1

Did he in fact survive this, there is one death entry which would make him 93, but am not sure as a Duncan Wilson also died in 1917.

Best

John
Goodsir.  Ellington. Tillman.  Wilson. AngAs. Capstaff (Northumberland & Durham)
Macaire. Eusebe. Boitel. Beaulieu. Gordon. Tillman. Fear. Wood.
 ( London/ Middlesex & Devon )