Author Topic: Irish Kennedy's in Glasgow - street address decipher  (Read 2306 times)

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Irish Kennedy's in Glasgow - street address decipher
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 06 December 14 08:50 GMT (UK) »
I have been looking at the possible family on Family Search. I think the mother's name may have been Mary Tague, Taig, poss Teague? There is a Scottish marriage on 29/1/1858 in Lanark between a Patrick Kennedy and a Mary Taig. there seem to be these children born to this couple John 18/3/1860, Bernard 21/8/1863,  Thomas 24/11/67, James 26/4/1872, Anthony 27/12/1870 Catherine 16/2/1866 Mary Ann 23/4/1869 Jane 26/2/1874. Cannot find Andrew.  If you put these names in order and read up about irish naming patterns you may be available to get some ideas about who was named for which side of the family.  They may have met in Scotland, so the triangulation of names may not work to find the county as it often can to find where families may have come from in Ireland by looking at instances of the two names cropping up nearby.     

Offline siouxchief

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 06 December 14 09:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shanreagh,

Thanks for checking that out. You can see the full extent of my findings here including the variations on name Taig from familysearch.org :

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=707046.0

Without the poor law data illustrating a County in Ireland or general info from these im rather stuck i think.

Cheers

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 06 December 14 09:27 GMT (UK) »
In that marriage certificate you have a lot of clues withe maiden surnames of the mother which look to be Bridget Kean marrying Brian/Bernard Kennedy and Patrick Tighe, Mary Taig's father, and her mother's name looks like Bridget Buske but i cannot read it as well even blown up.  Do you have any idea what the mother's name is?

If I find anything I will PM you as it is nothing to do with the topic of this post and don't want to clutter up your Mitchell library request.

Offline siouxchief

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 06 December 14 09:29 GMT (UK) »
You do make an interesting point about Andrew though. In 1871 census there was a 4 mth old Anthony who is then missing in the 1881 census and an Andrew replaces him of 10yrs old. I just assumed that he preferred to be called Andrew, what you think?

Offline siouxchief

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 06 December 14 09:33 GMT (UK) »
Happy to discuss on other thread :-)  and also thanks I assumed it was Bridget kennedy and didn't see Keane. Maybe I'm related to Roy :-)

Offline Istrice

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 06 December 14 22:31 GMT (UK) »
The birthplace was Lanark., Glasgow.

Nowadays the Town/City would normally be written first with the County/Regional Authority second. eg Glasgow, Lanarks.

If you look at the name immediately above Patrick's, Dugald Baxter has the same information re Birthplace written in the same form.

Regards,
Istrice

Apologies for the above.  I should read all the information provided before putting pen to paper".

Could it be St Marnock Street, off Broad Street in the Calton area of the city.  The indistinct squiggle after the numeral "11" could be StMa...
Istrice