Author Topic: Hayhurst Haste Fawcett  (Read 3407 times)

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Hayhurst Haste Fawcett
« on: Saturday 12 April 14 14:11 BST (UK) »
John Hayhurst he was born Grayrigg 1843 the illegitimate son of Margaret Hayhurst then in 1847 Margaret Hayhurst married James Fawcett, records state her father to be William Hayhurst.

In the 1851 Census things become cloudy, James Fawcett his bride Margaret, John Haste age 7, Jane Haste mother-in-law.  My thoughts are John Haste could be John Hayhurst given the age and I find no John Haste birth.  Perhaps a enumerators error, I am not sure.  James and Margaret had no children and in 1861 just the two of them are residing west of Grayrigg, John Hayhurst is down in Crosthwaite & Lyth as a servant.

As the mother-in-law Jane Haste on the 1851 census infers her to be Margaret’s mother but Margaret went by the name Hayhurst, her father was recorded as William Hayhurst. There is no recorded birth of a Margaret Hayhurst but there is a birth of a Margaret Haste 02 APR 1820 daughter of William Haste and Jane Haste.  There is no marriage predating the 1847 marriage to Fawcett of a Hayhurst/Haste so I am baffled.  And to add more confusion to this in 1841 Census Margaret is listed as a Hayhurst, single working at the Plough Inn.

Any local wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hayhurst Haste Fawcett
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 April 14 14:49 BST (UK) »
They all seem to vary between Haste and Hayhurst. Jane is a Haste in 1841, and with her is a Thomas Haste aged 8. he's a Hayhurst on 1851. There's also a Hannah Haste/Hayhurst b Lambrigg c1809 (appears possibly to be mother of Thomas)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 April 14 14:59 BST (UK) »
An understandable 'confusion' as the names sound so similar that they were probably interchangeable or often misinterpreted. If you say Hayhurst quickly it sounds like Haste. 

Maybe James Faucett spoke quickly or didn't enunciate clearly, hence the confusion on the 1851, and the enumerator wrote what he thought he heard.   :)

Offline sylvia (canada)

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 February 15 18:46 GMT (UK) »
I have Hayhursts in my husband's ancestral line ........

........... and I have found it also spelled as Hairst
Taylor, Park, Rowlandson, Hayhurst, Goose, Moor, Mattinson, Dawes. Westmorland, Yorkshire, Lancashire.
Cadd, Ellard, Schofield, Ashton, Cott(e)rill, Buck(w)right, Love. Buckinghamshire, Lancashire
Hughes, Roberts, Wynn(e), Griffiths. Wales