Author Topic: Fostering Tayport (Ferry upon Craig )1915  (Read 12832 times)

Offline shelly 65

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fostering Tayport (Ferry upon Craig )1915
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 03 April 14 17:02 BST (UK) »
Monica thank you very much for your staying power,i am signing off to have my dinner,hope all my helpers are there tomorrow when i get home from work.
Cheers :)

Offline shelly 65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 04 April 14 15:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,
               just wondering if have had any luck ?
  I was thinking that Rachels son was in the Gordon Highlanders when he lost his young life in 1917,
  i have a print off with his name, when he died and where he is now but i do not know how to get more information about his death,nothing had been kept by David & Rachel i would have known about anything as David stayed with my mum and dad  after Rachel died in 1936.
Hope you are still with me. :)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 04 April 14 15:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Shelly

Haven't made any further in roads really on Ethel. This needs a personal search at one of the main genealogy centres to be able to access this more recent information. Even if 1915 was available today (it will be next year on Scotlands People), I would guess it would be too expensive to go looking at every option online. There are not '00s of options, but enough to make it expensive to do so this way really with such little info. May be worth considering looking to get a researcher to do this for you? Sometimes other RootChatters offer to also step in and have a look to help out, whilst doing their own research at one of these centres.

What was the name of Rachel's son that died in 1917? You said he went by the surname of Connolly after David and Rachael married? Do you have a specific date when he died in 1917 and his age?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 04 April 14 15:40 BST (UK) »
Hi folks,
I'm just puzzled as to how your aunt got a passport if she was not able to produce birth documents ???
I have a friend who was born abroad (on a military base in 1950s) to 2 British parents (serviceman and wife). He had lived in this country for almost 30 years , parents died when he was a teenager and any birth document was long gone - when he had to get a passport and there was a great houha about his birth cert and proving where he was born.
Your aunt must surely have had something to prove who she was to get a passport :-\
Looby :)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 04 April 14 15:48 BST (UK) »
I would think so too Looby, specially given what a fine age she was to be travelling around the world and the carry on that now goes on relating to the Passport Office (for all the obvious reasons today).

Because I have seen this type of query come up before, I have often wondered (but don't know who to ask  :P) whether the Passport Office releases this type of information to nearest relative after someone has died...or whether the info would be locked up for another 1,000 years before general release (if ever  ::)).

Similarly, maybe like your Dad, Shelly, Ethel had to provide a birth certificate when she applied for a state pension? She was a year younger than your father from what you said, so would know of his experience?

Just curious...if your father only found out that David and Rachael were not his parents when he applied for his birth cert whilst getting his state pension organised (c. mid 60s?), is this the time that Ethel also found out about her relationship to David and Rachael?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shelly 65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 04 April 14 15:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks Monica,
                      his name was Thomas James Magee,born in 1896 David and Rachel married in 1898,in the 1901 census his surname was Connelly..he died in ww1 31/7/1917...
Private ..Thomas Connelly..242297,1st/5th.,bn.,Gordon Highlanders..if i knew where to look for more detailed info on his death i would find that interesting.
I have looked into a personal researcher,they seem to think i have done all they can do  (ordinary folk) i also do not have the spare time to go to Edinburgh to look through all the info they have,so i am suckered.
I should be retired from paid work but if i was i could not afford to find out about my past..
                                                                         Cheers Monica. :)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 04 April 14 16:01 BST (UK) »
Looks like Thomas Connelly died at Passchendaele  :(
http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/worldwars/wwone/battle_passchendaele.shtml

Offline shelly 65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 04 April 14 16:15 BST (UK) »
Hi,
    just to add to the mystery David&Rachel had put Ethel out when she was 16yrs (why ??) Bad girl) they were very religious(?) folks...My dad/mum only came in contact with her again through her 2nd husbands death in the paper 1975....oh my sorry for all this mixed up info.

Offline shelly 65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 04 April 14 16:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that link Monica i will look it up ..cheers.. :)