Author Topic: Missing Slater family (1860 U.S. Census)  (Read 1938 times)

Offline floppyslater

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Missing Slater family (1860 U.S. Census)
« on: Monday 31 March 14 01:59 BST (UK) »
I need help finding a missing family from the 1860 U.S. Census.

Charles A. Slater and Catherine Baker were married in 1856 at the First Independent Christian Church ("Old Brick Church") in Kensington, Philadelphia.

Charles A. Slater was a shipwright / ship carpenter.  His date of birth was 1833/34.  He died in 1898 in Tansboro, Camden County, NJ.  His parents are listed as William and Kate Slater (national origin - American).  Catherine Baker was the daughter of Conrad Baker, a prominent fisherman in the community.

The couple's first son, Conrad B. Slater, was born in 1857 (His 1914 death record indicates he was born in Delaware - not Pennsylvania).
The couple's second son, William B. Slater, was born 1858 / 59 (His 1944 death record indicates he was born in Pennsylvania).
The couple's final living child was George W. Slater who is born in 1864.

Here is my problem with the 1860 Philadelphia census.  There were at least three Charles Slaters all born around the same time as my Charles A. Slater.  One is even listed as a ship carpenter too.  However, there is no mention made of Kate and his two sons, Conrad B. and William B..  I have looked at the Delaware census records and have not found any records for the family.

The first time the family reemerges in Kensington is in the 1868 City Directory living on East Girard Avenue.  They also appear in both Philadelphia versions of the 1870 U.S. Census.

I can not definitely link Charles A. Slater to the 1850 Philadelphia census based upon the names of his parents on his death record.  I am at a loss where the family could be for the 1860 census.

My only thought is that they may have traveled / lived in Chester, Delaware County, Pennsylvania to work in a shipyard or possibly had work somewhere in Delaware between the 1856 marriage and the 1868 City Directory entry.

Any suggestions would be most welcomed for this weary researcher.

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Slater family (1860 U.S. Census)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 02:05 BST (UK) »
I may be able to help with a couple of the family possibilities.  By looking at the Phila. City Directories, I've been able to separate out and possibly eliminate 2 Slater families.

William Slater, b. ~1800  d. by 1855
Caroline          b. ~1800/1814  she has a boarding house after Wm's death
John               b. 1823/1831
Amanda          b. 1830/1834
Charles, living with mother in 1860  b. 1835, ship joiner
Mary              b. 1836/1840
William           b. 1841
-------------------------------------------------------

James Slater  b. ~1794  by 1859 this family is living at 1215 Crease and most of the children
                               show up living here at some time, including Charles
Sarah            b. ~1794
Mary Ann       b. 1824
Margaret        b. 1827
Thomas          b. 1831
Charles           b. 1833 ship carpenter
Sarah             b. 1836
James            b. 1838
Peter              b. 1841

Offline floppyslater

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 11:14 BST (UK) »
Hello Genealiza,

I have eliminated the one family - James and Sarah Slater who resided on 1215 Crease Street.  In the 1870 Census both Charles A. Slater and Charles Slater appear in the Philadelphia records.  This would eliminated this one family.

The second family is a little more tricky.  I have suspected that William and Caroline Slater may have been Charles's parents but there is a few problems.  First, in the later records (after William's death), I find it interesting that Caroline would be living in a boarding house rather than moving in with one of her children (perhaps a dysfunctional family?).  The other problem is that on Charles A. Slater's 1898 death record his parents are listed as William and Kate Slater - not William and Caroline Slater.  Perhaps it was an error made by the funeral director. 

I am going year by year through all of the city directories at this incredible website:

http://www.philageohistory.org/geohistory/

In 1873 Charles A. Slater and Kate Slater are listed as living at 641 E. Girard Avenue in Philadelphia.  Charles's occupation is ship carpenter.

In 1874 Charles and Kate are again listed as living at 641 E. Girard Avenue but this time he is listed as a grocer.  After talking to a local historian specializing in Kensington history he did not think that was altogether uncommon.  The ship building industry was undergoing a radical transformation and the days of wooden ship building were winding down.  His skill set may simply have no longer been needed and he was forced to change occupations.

The other interesting tidbit about the 1874 City Directory is that a William Slater is also listed as living at 641 E. Girard Street.  His occupation was listed as a plumber.  At first I thought this was his son William B. Slater but after doing the math (William B. Slater being born in 1858/59 I realized he would have only been about 15 years old).  This other William Slater must have been a father, brother, or cousin.  Since the William Slater you listed with Caroline Slater died in 1855 it could mean that his brother William (born 1841) moved in - if, in fact, this person is his brother.  At this point it is pure speculation.  The frustrating part is that the names William, Charles, John, and George were very common names given to most male Slaters living in the area.

I have still not been able to make a clear connection with the birth of Conrad B. Slater (born 1857) in Delaware or William B. Slater (born 1858/59) born in PA.  They are completely absent from the 1860 Census rolls as is their mother Catherine Baker Slater.

The Delaware state archives does not have any records of the family. 

Thanks again for helping out with your suggestions. 

floppyslater

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 16:14 BST (UK) »
Here's what I've culled out for Caroline:

1853:  William Slater, ship carpenter, r Palmer above Queen
1854:  Caroline Slater, b.h. (boarding house) Palmer above Queen
1855:  Caroline Slater, b.h. Palmer above Queen
1856:  Caroline Slater, b.h. Palmer above Queen
1858:                                136 Coates
1859:                                302 Callowhill
1860:  Caroline Slater, boarding house, 302 Callowhill
1861:  Caroline Slater, bh, 302 Callowhill
1862:                                458 N 4th
1863:  Caroline R Slater, boarding house, 323 New
1864:  Caroline Slater, boarding house 323 New
1865:  Caroline Slater, boarding house 323 New
1866:  Caroline Slater, boarding, 335 Dillwyn
1867:  Caroline Slater, wid William, h 335 Dillwyn
           William Slater, clerk, h 335 Dillwyn
1868:  Caroline Slater, wid William h 335 Dillwyn
1869:  Caroline Slater, wid William, 335 Dillwyn
1870:  Caroline Slater, wid Wm, 335 Dillwyn
           William B Slater, wheelwright, 335 Dillwyn
1871:  Caroline Slater, wid Wm, h 335 Dillwyn
1872:  Caroline Slater, wid Wm, 335 Dillwyn
           John F Slater, machinist, 335 Dillwyn
           Wm. B Slater, wheelwright, 335 Dillwyn
1873:  Caroline Slater, wid Wm., h 1047 N Front
           John F Slater,                 335 Dillwyn
           Wm B Slater,  wheelwright, 335 Dillwyn
1874:  William B Slater, wheelwright, 335 Dillwyn

I quit following her after 1873.  I think she ran a boarding house and the 1870 census seems to support that.  I used the city directories that are on Fold3.  I'll take a look at the link you provided.
Charles seems to have had many occupation:  ship carpenter, shipwright, carpenter, grocer, produce, builder, butcher, and farmer.

Offline floppyslater

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 22:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you for taking the time looking through the old directories.  We website I included in my last post has the earliest city directories up until around 1850.  The remaining directories come from ancestry.com.

I'm still not sure Caroline is Charles's mother.  I need to track down the William that appeared in their home in 1874 and try to determine if there is a clear connection.

Although Charles had many occupations after 1873 I believe he still considered himself a ship's carpenter first and foremost. 

Attached is a series of documents that may help shed light on this particular individual.

Offline floppyslater

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 22:54 BST (UK) »
Additional Historical Records:

Obituary

North Cedar Hills Cemetery (Philadelphia) Plot Information

North Cedar Hills Cemetery Plot (Charles Slater (father), William B. Slater (son), Arthur and Francis Slater (grandsons), Mary Jane Hunter (daughter-in-law).

Charles A. Slater's wife, Catherine (Kate) Slater nee Baker, is buried in Palmer Cemetery in Kensington (Philadelphia).  She died in January of 1886.

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 April 14 00:41 BST (UK) »
The other interesting tidbit about the 1874 City Directory is that a William Slater is also listed as living at 641 E. Girard Street.  His occupation was listed as a plumber.  At first I thought this was his son William B. Slater but after doing the math (William B. Slater being born in 1858/59 I realized he would have only been about 15 years old).  This other William Slater must have been a father, brother, or cousin.  Since the William Slater you listed with Caroline Slater died in 1855 it could mean that his brother William (born 1841) moved in - if, in fact, this person is his brother.  At this point it is pure speculation.  The frustrating part is that the names William, Charles, John, and George were very common names given to most male Slaters living in the area.

If you are looking at Wm and Caroline as the parents:
Children:
John, b. 1823-1831   
Amanda, b. 1824-1830
Charles, b. 1825-1835
Caroline, b. 1834
Mary, b. 1836-1840
Wm, b. 1841

As stated above, the residence of Wm B Slater, b. 1841, wheelwright,  from 1870 to 1874 was with his mother and possible brother at 335 Dillwyn.  When the mother moved on to other properties, John and William remained at 335 Dillwyn.  Why would he be listed as a plumber living on E Girard if his occupation was, wheelwright, and he was living on Dillwyn?

1870:  Caroline Slater, wid Wm, 335 Dillwyn
1871:  Caroline Slater, wid Wm, h 335 Dillwyn
               Wm B, wheelwright, 335 Dillwyn
1872:  Caroline Slater, wid Wm, 335 Dillwyn
           John F Slater, machinist, 335 Dillwyn
           Wm. B Slater, wheelwright, 335 Dillwyn
1873:  Caroline Slater, wid Wm., h 1047 N Front
          John F Slater,  machinist, 335 Dillwyn
           Wm B Slater,  wheelwright, 335 Dillwyn
1874:  John F Slater, machinist, 335 Dillwyn