Author Topic: Irland Norgrove & Ganleys  (Read 15826 times)

Offline Racingmacat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Irland Norgrove & Ganleys
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 20 May 10 20:58 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
It seems that my great great grandfather James McCleester was living in the same house as your ancestor (Mary Ann Norgrove) at the time of the 1881 census. I visited Admiralty Street a few years ago, if you would like to see the photos let me know.
Cheers, Charles

Offline Shiraz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 24 June 10 13:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Eleaneor

My uncle Captain Sean Connolly of the Irish Citizen army was in charge of the unit which took over the Dublin City Hall in 1916.  My father George and uncles Eddie and Matt were also part of the unit.  My aunt Katie Barrett (nee Connolly) who was also a member of the ICA was attending to the wounded with Helena Malony and Doctor Lynn. etc.  there were two Norwood sisters in the group and later a brother who was a sergent was sent from the GPO with a few other men to reinforce the unit.

Shiraz

Offline eleanore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 22 July 10 15:58 BST (UK) »
Shiraz: Sorry have only just picked this up! Do you have any info re the Norgrove's and what was their history/involvement in the uprising. If the brother was a sergeant it suggests a deep commitment.
Blumfield, Norgrove, Marsh, Ganley, Liles, Gigg

Offline Racingmacat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 22 July 10 16:51 BST (UK) »
Elanore,
I learned the other day that there are 2 Admiralty Streets in Plymouth & the house I photographed (No 33) was the wrong one! Sorry

Offline Shiraz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 22 July 10 18:19 BST (UK) »
Eleanore
The sisters Annie aged 16 & Emily Norwood were both in the City Hall during Easter week.  The other member of the family was George who was a sergent.  He had been sent with others by James Connolly who was in the GPO to reinforce the garrison.  As they were in the City Hall it would indicate they were probably all members of the Irish Citizen Army. The girls had difficulty climbing the railings around the building and Emily burst her skirt when climbing the fence. 
The ladies were in the bottom rooms of the building and Annie from time to time climbed out on the roof with food.  George was on the roof which came under sniper fire from the Beresford Tower in the grounds of Dublin Castle.
After the building was captured by British military the women were taken to Ship Street Military Barracks and later were jailed in Mountjoy Prison.  They were released after about 10 days.

Shiraz

Offline Shiraz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 23 July 10 08:39 BST (UK) »
Eleanore

I've been looking at your previous entries and I feel that George Norwood (the Sergent) must have been a brother to Annie and Emily as you listed their father as Alfred.

Shiraz

Offline Mathew Norgrove

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 22 August 10 07:33 BST (UK) »
My name is Mathew Norgrove and I'm living in Ireland, I'm also new to this and I look for the English roots as well as more Irish. I do know that the Norgrove's men & girls were very much involved in the planing & fighting in 1916 with 2 or 3 being killed at the G.P.O. The family was in the Irish Citizen's Army.     
I did have 2 books with lots of info but I lent them to somebody & never sore them agen hope this was help have to go now buy and please contact me

Offline Mathew Norgrove

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 22 August 10 18:53 BST (UK) »
Hi
I've been read the post re the Annie and Emily and Georeg Norwood? Last name I had a book entitled The women of the Irish Citizens Army. The tell the same stoy but with the last name Norgrove. Please try and get it 

Offline sasha7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 28 November 10 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Matthew/Elenore

I am one of the great nieces of Emily & Annie, though I know very little about them.
Emily & Annie are sisters of my grandmother, how many of the family were involved with the movement is not known but I do know it was not all of them. As far as I am aware none of then moved to England.

Emily married John Hanratty, he is buried in Glasnevin Cemetry under his title of "Commandant John Hanratty"

I have been sent a family tree though this is more to do with my Grandfathers side but if there is anything of relevance I will post it.