Author Topic: Anthony Perrier JP  (Read 55355 times)

Offline HoodPoint

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Anthony Perrier JP
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 27 December 11 05:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,

My husband is also three generations down from Julia Osborne Wheeler (wife of Henry Horace) and we would be interested to hear more about Julia's two sons, Henry Quinton Osborne Wheeler and John Horace Wheeler. 

We've just spent a delightful few hours reading a family history written by John Horace's wife.  In it, she mentions that as youngsters, Julia Osborne took her two sons to visit three spinster aunts living somewhere in Dublin.  As it happens, one of our children lives in Dublin; can anyone tell us where the particular house was that Julia Osborne visited?

We're also wondering about Julia Osborne Wheeler's father, Dr Osborne.  We've read that his practice was based in a "private mental institution": can anyone elaborate?

Many thanks.

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Allihies, West Cork, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 27 December 11 18:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

A Dr John Osborne owned Lindville Asylum which was situated in Blackrock.  Cork.

I came across a few of marriages which I thought might be of interest -

From newspaper The Constitution -  26 Jan 1824 at Gretna Green on 17th inst., D. Cuffe Wall Esq., 3rd son of Charles William Wall Esq of Coolnamuck Court , Co. Waterford to Catherine Isabella , eldest dau. of Sir David Perrier of Douglas House, Cork

From newspaper Cork Advertiser 11 Oct 1800 -  a few days ago in Limerick, Anthony Perrier Esq., of this City ( Cork) to the beautiful Miss Black of Limerick.

from newspaper  Cork Evening Post - 6 July 1789  last Saturday Mr. William Lumley Esq., to Miss Perrier
dau of the late Anthony Perrier of Dublin Esq., ( MLB Elizabeth Perrier)
Mary
Celtic Liberty 
Bradfield, Buckley, Capels,Cronin, Desmond, Leonard, Lombard,Mullins, O'Brien,

Offline Dads daughter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 28 December 11 12:35 GMT (UK) »
My husband is great grandson of Henry Horace Newman Wheeler and his wife Julia.
One of their sons was Henry Quintin Osborne Wheeler, born 1888, died 1964.   He married Dora Paterson in 1914. They had 2 children, another Henry Quintin Osborne Wheeler born 1916 and Sheila Marjorie born 1923.
The reason father and son had identical names is that the older one went to serve during World War One and was reported missing while Dora was pregnant.   She did not expect him to return alive and named her son by his fathers names.   But father did survive!  We have  press obitiaries for Henry and Dora.
Sheila married Herbert Hutchinson who died in the 1980's, and she lives in Oxfordshire.
Henry Quintin Osborne Wheeler married Jessie Dingwall in 1950, and they had two children, my husband, Alexander Quintin Henry Wheeler born January 1951 and Elizabeth Catherine born 1956.  Alexander (known as Alastair) married me, Bridget,  in 1974, and we have two children Catherine Alexandra born 9 -8-78 and Jennifer Mary born 29-4-1981.   Jennifer married Christopher Durrant in 2007.
Hope you're keeping up with all this!  Resorted to paper yet?!
Both Henry Quintin Osbornes, Dora and Sheila were all qualified medical doctors; Dora was one of the first ever women doctors to qualify, training in Edinburgh. My husband is a clergyman, currently Vicar of St Cuthbert's Wells, Somerset and Prebendary of Wells Cathedral.   
Sheila and Bert Hutchinson married late and had no children.
Elizabeth Catherine, my husbands sister, married Robert Robertson in 1980, and they have two children, Iain and Claire.  Iain married Sarah Dec 2010.
Auntie Sheila has passed down to us various items from the past, including a large tray presented to Henry Horace Newman Wheeler by the Royal Galway Yacht Club when he moved to Waterford from Galway; also a painting of Robin Redbreast rocks in Waterford, and a box presented to "Louisa" on her wedding day in 1841 containing all sorts of useful items of habadashery and stationery for a young bride.
We are in possession of a small number of photos of Henry Horace Newman Wheeler, and one of him in army uniform alongside Julia.
We also have a number of miniature paintings, including for example Henry Wheeler, father of Henry Horace Newman, and one of each of Sir Anthony Perrier and his wife. Also included are James Black and Jane Vereker - see other posts.
We traced the Osburne connection some years ago, and went to Lindville in Black Rock County Cork.  This was the mental institution set up by Dr Osburne - the spelling of the surname varies - Osburne / Osborne.  We have photos of the buildings, both the hospital itself and the family home next door with grounds running down to the sea, much as in the 1800's. 
In Black Rock church is a plaque "Sacred to the memory of Dr John Osburne, Lindville died 27th June 1897, also of his son Cecil Anthony Perrier Osburne, Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh who died 24th January 1922 at Old Catton, Norwich and is buried there.   They devoted their lives to the care of the afflicted"
We have a hand-written nearly decipherable Wheeler family tree back to 1640.
Further information available if needed, but stopping here for now.

Offline jameswestendarp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 29 February 12 18:00 GMT (UK) »
Dear All,
This thread is fascinating and especially the letter. I do have query, though, that I wondered whether anyone could help with.
To let you know who I am! Sir David Perrier (1765 -1826) is my great great great great grandfather. His brother being Sir Anthony Perrier (1770 – 1845). Their father was also Sir Anthony Perrier (1712 – 1772)
The query is that the letter is dated 1820 and is addressed to ‘My Dear Jane’. As far as I am aware the Anthony Perrier who was married to Jane Black died in 1772 so the name works but not the date and the Anthony that the date works with was married to Charlotte Roome. Have I got whole thing mixed up?
Thank you.

Offline jameswestendarp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 29 February 12 18:11 GMT (UK) »
I should mention that we are the descendents that live in Carrigaline! My Grandfather Patrick Arthur Cattell grew up with his Uncle and Aunt (Ernest Joseph Clarke and Elizabeth Lumley Clarke (Nee Perrier)) at Aghamarta Castle, Carrigaline. His mother was Susan Lumley Perrier who married Herbert William James John Goodricke Cattell. My Mother and her Siblings grew up at another of the family farms (Pallastown House, Belgooly, Co. Cork) and she still lives in the area as does my Uncle, Miles Jonathan Cattell. My Aunt, Stephanie Roberta Montagu (Nee Cattell), lives in Suffolk, UK.

Offline woodchurch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 01 March 12 19:10 GMT (UK) »
More cousins!  So you would have known cousin Rendall Clarke, a nephew to whom Ernest left Aghamarta?  Of Wilton Carpets and Youghal Carpets. Do you know what became of Aghamarta, did Rendall pass it on to his family (son Samuel?) 
Woodchurch, Clarke, Eager, Wrightson, Loewenthal, Hughes

Offline jameswestendarp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 01 March 12 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Rendell was left aghamarta. My grandfather, as far as I have been told, was disinherited for marrying a Catholic (my grandmother Honor Mahony)!!!!!!! Rendell then sold it when it became apparent that Sam would not like to live in ireland. Sam now lives in Oxford. How are you connected?

Offline woodchurch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 02 March 12 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your post, Rendall was one of my father's (Thomas Hughes Clarke, known as Hugh) many first cousins and they were good friends.  I met Rendall a few times at family events.  I remember being taken for a spin in a kit-car he had built, on the airfield near Rendall's house on the New Forest.  My father was born 1905 and died in 1962. Rendall's father was Dr Henry Clarke, fourth son of Thomas Clarke of Allerton Hall and my grandfather Charles Samuel was the third son.  I never visited Aghamarta, but did go to Farran, Springfort and Nadrid once or twice and saw Trabolgan from the drive (and from the ferry).  I met Sam once, he is a year younger than me, I think; we met at Tracy Park when I was about ten (1957ish), I would like to make contact again!  I have incidentally just made contact with descendants of Helena Schreiber, one of whom  is living in Skibbereen; Helena was one of Thomas Clarke's three sisters, the others married William Lumley Perrier jr as you know, and the other, an Augustus Warren.  They had one son who died young.
Woodchurch, Clarke, Eager, Wrightson, Loewenthal, Hughes

Offline Joysma

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 06 August 13 08:25 BST (UK) »
Hello Mary,
I was rapt in seeing the topic of the Perriers on here.  Anthony is a very distant uncle of mine & a lot of information you mentioned sounded familiar to me.  I would love to see any photos that you might have please.  I realise that I've come into this topic a bit late though.
Joysma
Perrier;  Mc Kinlay.