Author Topic: REID, Lilly Jane and Ancestors  (Read 4638 times)

Offline Northern Jo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
REID, Lilly Jane and Ancestors
« on: Saturday 21 January 12 06:53 GMT (UK) »
Trying to locate family for Lilly Jane Reid.  According to the record of the birth of her daughter, Lizzie Ann REID, born June 24, 1892 at Bridgend Cottage, Alvah, Lilly Jane Reid was a Domestic Servant at Gushetbog, Parish of Marnoch. The Registration of Birth was extracted from a Register of Births for the Parish of Alvah in the County of Banff.  There is no father shown on Register of Birth so we assume that Lizzie Ann (our grandmother) was illegitimate.  On Register of Marriage for Lizzie Ann to John Duncan at 11 Union Road, Macduff, Lilly Jane Reid (bride's mother) is listed as a Domestic Servant (no location).

Have copies of both Lizzie's Registration of Birth in 1892 and her marriage in 1912, but cannot firmly establish her connection with her mother in the 1901 census.  The only Lizzie we have found so far is one living with a Helen Anderson at 13 Union Road, Macduff, as a boarder.  Cannot seem to relate any of the Lilly Jane Reid's found on census returns to our family.

Who were Lilly's parents?  When and where was she born?  Did she have siblings?  Did she eventually marry?  When and where did she die and where is she buried?  Her daughter Lizzie, son-in-law John Duncan and their infant daughter emigrated to Canada in 1916.  Four more daughters were born in Canada.  John died in 1940, Lizzie in 1957 and the last of their daughters died in 2011 shortly before her 90th birthday.  According to family lore, family in the 'old country' was never spoken about as the girls were growing up.  All remember Grandma promptly changing the subject if ever questioned about her ancestors. 

Can anyone help?  Assistance greatly appreciated.
DUNCAN (and associated families of HAXTON, WATSON, WALLACE, BELL, ANDERSON, SPEED and LESSLIE) originated in Fifeshire, Scotland

REID (and associated families of HERON, KEITH, REIDFORD/REDFORD, MORRISON, WEBSTER, PIRIE, OGILVIE, DINGUAL, LAURENCE, GRANT, FRASER, and FORBES) originated in Banffshire, Scotland

CUNNINGHAM (pre 1780) -- John, Richard and Michael originated in Roscommon County, Ireland

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: REID, Lilly Jane and Ancestors
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 January 12 10:40 GMT (UK) »
I presume that Lilly Jane Reid you have was with her Father William, born c 1840, Cullen, Banffshire in the 1891 Census?
In the Household is a Lilly Jane age 2mths born c 1891 Marnoch**

1901 Census
Auchterless, Aberdeenshire
Alexr ANDERSON, 29, Farmer, born Macduff, Banffshire
Lily Jane REID, 31, Servant, Housekeeper Domestic, born Ord, Banffshire
Lily Jane Reid, 10, Boarder, Scholar, born Marnoch, Banffshire**
Mary Ann BARTLETT, 2, Boarder, born Gamrie, Banffshire

Could Lilly Jane have had more than 1 illeg. Child and this is her in 1901?
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 January 12 10:57 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I didnt read your question properly and realise now you have no Family for Lilly Jane.
This is the only Family in Marnoch I can find with a Lilly Jane.

1891 Cenus
Smithfield, Marnoch, Banffshire
William REID, 51, Head, Farmer,born Cullen
LILLY JANE, 20, Daug, Domestic Servant, born Banff
Barbara, 19, Daug, General Servant, born Banff
Jessie, 12, Daug, Scholar, born Banff
Eliza, 8, Daug, Scholar, born Banff
Robina, 5, Daug, born Marnoch
George, 12, Grandson, Scholar, born Banff
William, 2, Grandson, born Marnoch
Lilly Jane, 2mths, Grand/Daug, born Marnoch
Maggie Ann TAYLOR, 11, Garnd/Daug, Scholar, born Banff

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 January 12 11:20 GMT (UK) »
I found William Reid (Farmer) and Wife Margaret in 1881 but no Lilli with them but;

LYLY J Reid, age 12 born c 1868, Banff is Visiting the Stewart Family in 1881 in Banff.

1871 in Banff we have
William REID, 31, Ag Lab, born Cullen
Margret, 32, born Marnoch
Margret, 11
Christine, 4
Ann M, 7
William, 5
LILLY J, 2
Alexr, 7mths (Daug)

1861 we have;
William REID, 22
Margaret, 22
Mary, 2
Margaret, 1

IGI has a William REID/Margt REDFORD Marriage, 05 Nov 1857, Marnoch, Banff, Scotland
+ also on the IGI;

Lilly Jane REID Christened 14 Oct 1868, Banff, Banff, Scotland
Parents William REID and Margaret REIDFORD

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 January 12 11:38 GMT (UK) »
Lilly Jane Meldrum REID Christened 28 January 1891, Marnoch, Banffshire, Scotland
Mother LILLY JANE Reid
(Source Familysearch.Org)

Offline Northern Jo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 January 12 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the replies Trish.  In answer to your question about more than one illegitimate child --- it is possible since we are relatively sure that my grandmother was illegitimate (due to no father being listed on her birth certificate).  Still trying to figure out, with surety, that any of the Lillys you have listed are our Lizzie's mother.  It is highly likely that William and Margret (or Margaret) Reid are her parents but I will have to delve further and see if I can find more documentation for my grandmother (like a baptism certificate) that would show more details about her mother (maybe date and place of birth).

Two of my aunts had the surname PORTER included in their name but there does not appear to be any Porters in the family tree.  Would this possibly have been a family that raised Grandma?  If so, who and where are they?  Where does Helen ANDERSON fit in?

I am so confused :-\

Thanks again, Joanne
DUNCAN (and associated families of HAXTON, WATSON, WALLACE, BELL, ANDERSON, SPEED and LESSLIE) originated in Fifeshire, Scotland

REID (and associated families of HERON, KEITH, REIDFORD/REDFORD, MORRISON, WEBSTER, PIRIE, OGILVIE, DINGUAL, LAURENCE, GRANT, FRASER, and FORBES) originated in Banffshire, Scotland

CUNNINGHAM (pre 1780) -- John, Richard and Michael originated in Roscommon County, Ireland

Offline Northern Jo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 March 12 05:45 GMT (UK) »
 :o UPDATED INFORMATION:  :o
We have managed, through Scotland's People, to positively connect our Lizzie Ann Reid to Lilly (Lily) Jane Reid born 1868.  Have also connected back through some generations of the Reid family.

Through various SP documents, have found five siblings for Lizzie Ann (three of them illegitimate), the marriage of her mother in 1908 and two legitimate siblings born after that (the youngest born just over a year before Lizzie Ann was married!!!).

A bit costly but totally worth it!!!  Now, we think we know why Grandma Lizzie Ann wouldn't talk about her family.

Offline Toni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 January 13 06:05 GMT (UK) »
I'm in contact with at least one descendant (might be 2) of this branch of REID family.  Joanne is on my Face Book friends' list.

Toni
Reidford: All
SCOTLAND: Brown Clark Bain Elvin McClusky/McLusky Stevenson Wylie Jamieson Christie Donaldson Ritchie
CHES/LANCS: Whyatt Hadfield Smith Travis Barlow
NORFOLK:  Balls Stone
HUNTS: Phillips
NRYKS: Metcalfe Harrison Winn
SHROPS: Metcalfe [Richardson]
SOMERSET: Richardson
GLOUCS: Richardson Jenkins
LINCS: Yarwood
SURREY: Payne
SUSSEX: Heater Yarwood Kennelly Rowland Antram    Martin Lanstead
DEVON: Clark Mill Adams Tremeer Brook Newcombe Jewell Baker Dart Witheridge Lyell