Author Topic: Hall/Stewart help please.  (Read 11389 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hall/Stewart help please.
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 29 October 09 19:01 GMT (UK) »
This is what I posted...

I have the marriage of Thomas Hall, (Irish) age 23,  to Eliza Jane Stewart, (Irish) age 24, at St Mary's Presbyterian Church, Toronto on 15 January 1858, (York County). The Stewarts and Halls were from Monaghan Ireland.

After that nothing!

Can anyone advise on (a) Where to look to try and find when they arrived in Canada?  and (b) Where to look for births for Thomas and Eliza please?

Another snippet is the marriage of Eliza Jane Stewart's brother William James Stewart also in York county on 7 June 1860.

So I have my Thomas Hall, son of Matthew Hall and Hannah Lyons and 4 other names..Eliza Jane Stewart, William James Stewart, their father John Stewart and their mother Elizabeth Martin.

William James Stewart married Ph(o)ebe Adams,  daughter of George Adams and Ruth Manillock (Manllock).

I would be very grateful for help on tracing Thomas and Eliza Jane, thank you."

The first confusion was if they were Irish or not..which I clarified.

I ruled the Cavan ones out ages ago (as per post) which informed readers that there was a similar couple but from Cavan...I had a possible death...this has since been ruled out.

I still only have the marriage of Thomas Hall, (Definitely Irish) age 23,  to Eliza Jane Stewart, (Definitely Irish) age 24, at St Mary's Presbyterian Church, Toronto on 15 January 1858, (York County). The Stewarts and Halls were from Monaghan Ireland (not Cavan)...

George James Hall has been ruled out thanks to  cosmac..

Nothing was cancelled out when I made the thread...they were cancelled out thanks to cosmac and polarbear's replies.

I announced what I had.....it is still what I have.

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 29 October 09 19:07 GMT (UK) »
A suggestion Hallmark...that next time you make a thread, tell everyone basically what you have already cancelled out, as we have searched through what you already have... just to hear you say, " yes, I know, I have that"
I like to follow a thread through, but in this case...I'll use the notify button

I didn't say  " yes, I know, I have that" after the fact!!

Those facts were announced previously by me when I said there was another similar couple but from Cavan who were grocers, so births for this couple are not applicable to my tree.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 04 November 09 18:27 GMT (UK) »
The death for George James Hall referred to previously shows he was born Dec 15, 1857 in Ireland to Thomas Hall and Lizzie Stewart both of Ireland.  Died Dec 2, 1934 at New Toronto, York County, Ontario with his wife, Elizabeth, the informant.  Had been in Ontario for 22 years.

Debbie

Thanks Debbie, looks like this other Thomas Hall/Eliza Stewart couple have jinxed it up!

At least if I find the 3 of them in census I'll know it's not my couple!

So;  Can anyone advise on (a) Where to look to try and find when they arrived in Canada?  and (b) Where to look for births for my Thomas and Eliza please?

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 04 November 09 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hallmark,
Have you tried Lloyds of London.  They hold listings of sailings from England throughout the years
although I have been told that sailings from Ireland to england are not listed, I do not know if that applies from Ireland abroad.   Especially the one shipwrecked.  I think they held a list of people, as well as goods in the hold for insurance purposes.
marcie:  Does anyone know what it is, the website you need of emigrating people, ships used etc.
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 04 November 09 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Have you had a look at the Resources Board which lists links and websites which may be of use.
It there is nothing there you can post a request for information on sailings within the critical years you are researching.   It is the only thing I can think of.
marcie
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 04 November 09 22:36 GMT (UK) »
I have trawled through websites mentioned on Resources Board, looked at ship records etc, I was just wondering if they would be registered when they landed. Looked for them on Ancestry..etc. Looks like there was no particular entry point in Canada.

The sailings from Ireland to UK were not recorded and there were many ways of getting to UK etc including trawlers.

I'm just looking for a birth or two to give me a family unit to look up on Census but apparently they can't be found.

All my "possibles" have been ruled out which is a help!

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 05 November 09 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Someone else said to me that they do not list  sailings from Ireland to England.  Though I suppose they could have served passage on a merchant ship, and I do not have a clue as to whether they are listed and if so by whom.

Searching Forbes in Scotland, I found a Stewart married a Forbes.  Would you like this info to check, just in case.
Again it is Aberdeen and surrounding parishes within the county
Marjorie
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 05 November 09 22:11 GMT (UK) »
I understood that most immigrants into America was through Ellis Island.  Not sure about Canada (would that have been through Vancouver), or Australia and New Zealand ..  But I would have thought that in those days, where ever they went there would be a record of their arrival, by the authorities and departments of the social services or American/Canadian Equivalent.

Nowadays you have to have a job to go to and no criminal record to be able to gain access, isn't that so?  Although, my brother in laws (ex) father went to america and has outstayed his visa and has been living there with a job and everything for over 12 years.
marjorie
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 05 November 09 22:26 GMT (UK) »
I understood that most immigrants into America was through Ellis Island.  Not sure about Canada or Australia and New Zealand ..  But I would have thought that in those days, where ever they went there would be a record of their arrival, by the authorities and departments of the social services or American/Canadian Equivalent.

Nowadays you have to have a job to go to and no criminal record to be able to gain access, isn't that so?  Although, my brother in laws (ex) father went to america and has outstayed his visa and has been living there with a job and everything for over 12 years.
marjorie

Have looked through everything I can, the shipslisted don't cover the years I'm after.

Looks like no births are available to my couple.

I put up my original post saying they were Irish, someone decided to doubt this. I put up info on the other couple with same names, saying these weren't my couple, got info about the ones that weren't my couple as the were grocers from Cavan!!

Now with the doubt caused by "misinterpretation" of my first post this thread is completely stuffed!  I don't know why my putting in that they were both Irish caused so much confusion!!!!!!!!!

Might give up looking for them on Rootschat!!