Author Topic: George McPherson 1862 York Factory HBC passengers  (Read 11115 times)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George McPherson 1862 York Factory HBC passengers
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 18 September 14 16:49 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat, ButtercupKitteh ...as you can see from the heading the poster added to an existing lookup thread, but it was split off on its own.
DitzKnitz may not get notification (  we are emailed when there is an answer to a query one has posted on )  it sometimes gets turned off....so I will private message to say there is an answer on this thread... also just looked and DitzKnitz has not been active for a while so hard to say if email account is still the same

In the meantime look around, check out the beginners advice board, etc...Have fun!  J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline ButtercupKitteh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 19 September 14 01:19 BST (UK) »
thanks for the welcome. I was having a hard time with loading this thread on my tablet last night. I can see the info about the split now. That's cool, thank you for PMing Ditz. I'm glad I found this forum :D

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 19 September 14 02:11 BST (UK) »
Just wondering as it sounded as though Marie grey was the wife of George McPherson, but this great little piece says his country wife was Marie Oman, and after the birth of their first child they married..
http://www.mhs.mb.ca/docs/mb_history/20/fortchurchill.shtml

great bit...beginning in the 1840’s the tradesmen and labourers at Churchill were increasingly members of a large extended family, a process which reached its logical conclusion in the period after 1870 when, aside from the officer in charge at Churchill, virtually everyone at the post was a Collin, a Gibeault, a Grey, a McPherson, or an Oman.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline ButtercupKitteh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 19 September 14 02:26 BST (UK) »
According to the chart in that link George McPherson married Marie (Mary) Grey after the death of Maria Oman. That's a cool bit of info to add to my tree. I'll have to save that page. That -is- a great little piece.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 19 September 14 02:36 BST (UK) »
Did not get past the anecdotal stuff...
so Maria is for certain Maria Oman's daughter, and Henry is her son...I can see now the six years until the next birth.... I see Mary Grey was already twice a widow...what happened to Agnes Grout?

Oh, I see from the scrip perhaps Georgina and Agnes belonged to Marie Grey
McPherson or Groat or Martin   Aggie -1910 Northwest Scrip
McPherson or Groat or Martin   Georgina - Norway House - 1910 Northwest Scrip

& this would be Mary Oman's Mary
McPherson or Martin or Groat   Mary Anne   - Ft Churchill -1910 Northwest Scrip

Offline ButtercupKitteh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 19 September 14 02:47 BST (UK) »
i'm not seeing a name listed for the daughter born to Maria Oman & George Mcpherson in 1865. Do you have a link to an additional reference document that lists if that daughter lived to start a family of her own?

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 19 September 14 03:10 BST (UK) »
I am only going by the daughter born 1865 from the above online publication, which was likely found in the York Factory ledgers... the daughter would be Mary, Marie, Maria from the census...
I looked for them in 1870 online but cannot see them... It appears they were not certain of their own fathers...and Mary Ann her own mother, when they applied for scrip

adding...oh yeah, only the area around the Red River settlement was covered in 1870...
the rest was still considered NWT? ahh, yes, Keewatin... How short my memory has become.I was getting good at this a few years ago... ::)

Offline ButtercupKitteh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 19 September 14 03:20 BST (UK) »
lovely -_- It would be great if they didn't name everyone Mary in some form and there not be so many Georges. Guess we'll just have to keep looking.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 19 September 14 04:55 BST (UK) »
From his scrip Henry ( born circa 1866)  knew his mother to be Maria "Ooman", this would be another indication that Mary Anne was the daughter born in 1865.
Edward ( married Betsy Nakawas) John Robert and James Inkster McPherson,  Henrietta & Frederick know their mother to be Maria Grey

Good thing this is all partially transcribed online as the metis scrip database is all messed up since the new work was done on them...as are most of the databases now on the Collections Canada website....once a very good genealogy tool, now a hard to navigate site with broken databases, and the ghosts of the old pages on Google forever so noone can ever find the proper result. (Have complained directly but nothing changes)

So thanks MNC and University of Alberta for all the work put into this, and for having the sense to not change what works
http://metisnationdatabase.ualberta.ca/MNC/search.jsp