Author Topic: Jacob Davies Rhosllanercrugog  (Read 12602 times)

Offline Lolly Willowes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jacob Davies Rhosllanercrugog
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 28 September 14 17:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply. I've found out quite a bit about Jacob since the correspondence with Gnu & others. Including the fact that he died in Denbigh Lunatic Asylum.
The Denbighshire baptisms you list don't fit, I'm afraid. (My Jacob was b. later, parents John & Mary, his children b 1853 onwards.) The problems of looking for Davieses in Wales!
Thanks again for your interest.

Offline sw1132

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 28 September 14 19:24 BST (UK) »
I'm pretty sure this is the same Jacob - he was my great great grandfather. The others would be his siblings. Obadiah too went on to be a brickmaker. And it seems unlikely there were multiple John and Mary Davies, brick makers, with sons named Jacob born around the same time.

I've (unsurprisingly perhaps) heard the lunatic asylum aspect before - do you have a date for that?

Offline Lolly Willowes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 29 September 14 11:37 BST (UK) »
How interesting! Jacob is my gggfather too. My ggfather was Jacob’s son Jacob. Which line do you come through?

I hadn’t continued looking for father John & was surprised to get your message - especially with the different father’s name... but we may have been at cross-purposes. You gave father’s name Jacob in your list, then mentioned John. My Jacob is definitely son of John, & other things did fit when I looked up the other children’s names that you sent me.
As you’ll have seen from my rootschat correspondence of a couple of years ago, I didn’t get any further with John & Mary Davies. But I’m pleased now to have some siblings as well as Isabella.
I have now found
Louisa  4 Aug 1822 Newbridge Chirk parish father JOHN mother Mary  labourer
Obadiah 17 Oct 1824 parents JOHN & Mary Penyclawd, Chirk  brickmaker
Mary Anne 18 Feb 1827 father JOHN & Mary Acrefair brickmaker - so it very much looks like these are my Jacob’s missing family.(However, I didn’t find a William Walter or a William or a Walter with John/Jacob & Mary around 1823 & didn’t find Isabella (or Belafina) 1836/8) What was your source for these? (I used findmypast which isn't always reliable.)

I found out about the Lunatic Asylum via Flint Parish burials: 12 August 1897 age 72.
Then death cert. -  7 August at Lunatic Asylum Denbigh  “cerebral haemorrhage 2 days exhaustion”. He is described as Brickmaker of Ffynnon groew, Holywell (which is where his son John William was living). He is buried in Northop Road cemetery, Flint.
I’ve seen the asylum records at  the County Record Offices in Ruthin & Bristol. He was admitted in 1891, transferred to Bristol Asylum from 92-5 then back to Denbigh.
Do let me know which of Jacob's children you are descended from.
Best wishes & thanks again.

Offline sw1132

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 29 September 14 17:00 BST (UK) »
I was pretty sure these were right.
I'm the grandson of Jacob(jnr)'s son Alfred, via my father Harold (he's still interested in all this at the age of 94).

In the past I've found Findmypast almost impossible to use, but took advantage of a recent 'month for a pound' offer to scan through the Denbighsire  BMD parish records.

Jacob snr does appear a bit erratic - as well as the apparent separation from Mary, I found two business partnerships dissolved - Davies and Savage Brick Manufacturers in 1861 and the Pant Brick Tile and Fireclay  Co in 1871.

I'm still intrigued by where all these people were in 1851 - given the birth of Louisa in Ireland, it's possible they all headed over there - the timing is right for when they were trying to start a coal mining industry in northern Ireland.

I'm pretty sure Isabella is the baptized Belafina - and intriguingly there is an Isabella Davies, aged 15, in Ruabon in 1851, described as, as far as I can decipher "daughter of wife". But there is no wife, only  John Lloyd - and two more Davies children - Benjamin 13 and Jane 9 (also son and daughter of wife). This could well be irrelevant.

If you PM me your e-mail I can send you copies of the other baptism

Thanks   (I think this makes us second cousins)

Offline Lolly Willowes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 29 September 14 18:05 BST (UK) »
Yes, Jacob does seem "erratic". The asylum records are quite moving. I've also wondered about Ireland - your suggestion sounds right. 
I've sent you a message with my email.
All the best.

Offline Newbie2023

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 16 January 23 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lolly and sw1132, I hope you are still active on here. I am extremely interested in your Jacob Davies posts, and would like to hear from you as I am more than likely related to you both as my grandmother was a daughter of Albert Edward Davies, who was I believe the youngest son of Jacob and Mary (Wright), and a brother to louisa, mary anne, john, elizabeth and jacob(jnr). I have read the postings, and I want to be sure there is no mix up. I have Jacob as born and died in Denbighshire, death 1897 but I understood he was born 1829. Your info re the asylum death in 1897 suggests he was 72yo which if correct puts his DOB back to 1825?

Would be great to hear from you both but I realise your posts were some time ago!!