Author Topic: 59th Regiment of Foot  (Read 10869 times)

Offline CaroSG

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 59th Regiment of Foot
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 07 November 10 13:13 GMT (UK) »
Next

Offline CaroSG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 07 November 10 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Last photos.  This is a list in the book showing how many soldiers came into the regiment and out of the regiment in a one month period 24 Jan 1826 to 24 Feb 1826.   36 Privates went out.... some promoted, but many of them invalided or dead.   There were fresh soldiers coming in all the time - 158 privates , but broken ones going out ...

I hope people will find these photos interesting.

Offline jane k

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 07 November 10 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Caroline

Thank you so much for doing that, I`m a bit short of time today but it`ll be fascinating to go through all of the photos.

I`ve never been to Kew but think I will have to one day - I just wondered how easy it was to find the information you were interested in?

Best wishes     Jane

Offline jane k

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 07 November 10 14:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Caroline!

Going off on a tangent - I noticed the first commanding officer was Captain William Ridding & just out of interest `googled` his name and it came up with lots of references to a trial in 1819 where his wife was accused and found guilty of stealing a baby!  Apparantly her husband was very keen to have a child so she went out and got one - with the intention of telling him (presumably when he returned from India) that the child was his! Because of her status the judge was lenient but she was still imprisoned for 12 months.  I shouldn`t think that did his career much good!

Jane

Offline CaroSG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 07 November 10 15:06 GMT (UK) »
Well........ how fascinating is that????   Just goes to show that poor Edward and James were not so bad after all!   What always amazes me about learning Family History is how little human beings have changed over the years.......... same old same old foibles.   I will have a look at the other photos and see if I can see when the Captian "took leave".    You know I wish I had taken more photos of the pages and then they would really have been of use to others.  One is always in such a rush.   It was so interesting being at Kew.  At my desk of 5 stations, I was madly photographing the muster rolls and everyone else was reading TOP SECRET documents.   If I had been on my own I would have photographed every page........ was just a little self-conscious.   We South African are a little bit "out there" whereas everyone at Kew looked so studious and well-behaved!

Regards
Caroline

Offline CaroSG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 07 November 10 15:08 GMT (UK) »
By the way Jane those other Captains I sent you Edward also served under, it's just that I didnt copy the H pages, but as he and James were together to Nov 1818 they served under the same captains.

May have a few more bits and pieces another day, on my way out now.

regards
Caroline

Offline BOJANGELS2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 01 July 14 23:02 BST (UK) »
this is all interesting to me as im trying to find my GG grandfather Robert Clarke he was in the 59th about 1830 ish ,he had a son George Clarke in 1834 born in wigan  who also joined up in the 59th in 1853 , I have info on George but am trying to get any info I can on Robert , can you see the musters on line or not
Clarke---- wotton under edge Gloucestershire and widnes Lancashire
GOODE  stourport /Kidderminster /Huddersfield
Holloran ---galway Ireland

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 01 July 14 23:51 BST (UK) »
... can you see the musters on line or not

No, apart from the Worldwide Index on Findmypast which is based on the musters for Qtr 2 1861.

Ken

Offline BOJANGELS2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 01 July 14 23:57 BST (UK) »
So I subscribe to find my past would I be able to find the musters on there Silv
Clarke---- wotton under edge Gloucestershire and widnes Lancashire
GOODE  stourport /Kidderminster /Huddersfield
Holloran ---galway Ireland