Author Topic: Thomas Mercer the clothier  (Read 1911 times)

Offline dejavu

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Mercer the clothier
« on: Monday 25 August 14 22:27 BST (UK) »
Hello,

wonder if anyone can identify the parents of Thomas the clothier from Hawkhurst, Kent?

He may well have been the Thomas Mercer born to Timothy Mercer in 1631; unfortunately, of the 3 Timothy Mercers associated with Hawkhurst in the 1500s and early 1600s, all are either too old or too young to  be the father of this Thomas.

Thomas the clothier was married twice: to Ann Willis, widow in 1657 and to Cordelia Caldicott, gentlewoman, in the late 1680s. He had a son Timothy died at age 2 days but his will mentions his son Timothy and his daughters Cordelia, Mary and Jane.

I think there might be another Timothy hiding somewhere in Kent. Any clues gratefully received,

Thanks

Sally

Offline redtonyt

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Mercer the clothier
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 August 14 11:20 BST (UK) »
According to a transcription (that I have) there is another possible Thomas Mercer baptised at Hawkhurst.  ???

Thomas son of Thomas baptised on 25 December 1625.

There was a brother Timothy in 1621 and it appears that the family's first child (Ann) was baptised in February 1618 at Hawkhurst.

Lastly, can I assume that you know, when Thomas married Ann Willis at Benenden in 1657, that she was a Widow.  They were both of Hawkhurst and although this would suggest the marriage was by Licence the transcription does not say anything to this effect.

Hope this helps in some small way.  ???

Regards,
Tony :)

Offline dejavu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 August 14 22:24 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for this. i think I have answered my own question, though: Tymothie Mercer, 7 Nov 1585, had a son Thomas b 1631 (to old parents but the Mercers appear fertile and long-lived). . I had this Thomas as husband of Elizabeth according to family trees but no definitive record. I now think this is Thomas the clothier.

There are a whole host of Thomases, Williams, Johns, Marys, Anns  and Elizabeths so the trick is to match the details.

I don't seem to have a record of a Thomas in 1625: could you possibly give the source? I hate in some ways to  add to my collection of Thomases but...

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Sally

Offline redtonyt

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 August 14 09:06 BST (UK) »
The transcription I have is from an old Kent Family History Society CD.

Tony :)